Generation 4 and skin shaders in Iray

contedesfeescontedesfees Posts: 233
edited May 2020 in New Users

Tests in DAZ Studio suggest that Iray renders produce horrible results for Victoria 4.2 and Michael 4. Both have the colour of frozen lemons using the hi-res shaders that produced excellent skin tones in Poser. Am I correct in assuming that an Iray converter will be necessary to produce acceptable results? In fact, the same question applies to clothing intended for Daz Generation 4 figures. Thank you.

Post edited by contedesfees on

Comments

• Yup, you will need to convert those shaders over to iray's uber shader.

• contedesfeescontedesfees Posts: 233

Thanks for yours, ParallaxCreates. Generation 4 and all that sail in her are obsolete in DAZ Studio. I was even thinking of re-installing Aiko 3 and seeing what mght be done with her. Aah well.

• Wicked WhompWicked Whomp Posts: 214

There's a product by V3Digitimes that converts V4/M4 to Iray.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,029

Thanks for yours, ParallaxCreates. Generation 4 and all that sail in her are obsolete in DAZ Studio. I was even thinking of re-installing Aiko 3 and seeing what mght be done with her. Aah well.

They're absolutely not obsolete. They will require a bit of work to adjust materials, so if you're looking for 1-click solutions then they're not for you, but they can definitely be used in DS.

Leana said:

They're absolutely not obsolete. They will require a bit of work to adjust materials, so if you're looking for 1-click solutions then they're not for you, but they can definitely be used in DS.

Thanks for yours, Leana, but would you please be good enough to elaborate? Overlooking one-click solutions, do you mean working in the Surfaces palette? What do you do to get Victoria 4.2 with a Hi-Res skin applied Iray-ready?  What adjustments do you make? I would truly appreciate an example, if it's not too much trouble.

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited May 2020

Reality and LuxRender will both require some work to get good results, probably more work than Iray conversion. There is a free utility to convert V4 shaders to Iray called SkinRay that works pretty well most of the time, but will typically need a few adjustments (especially glossy values). There is also Iray Converter for Generation 4  (as already noted by Wicked Womp) available here in the store that can be used for all of your Generation 4 figures. For cloths, props, etc. there is the RSSY 3Delight to Iray Converter which could be a time saver if you have 3Delight shaders for them. A lot of the older products can be a bit difficult to convert due to the "cheats" that were used, especially metals and reflective surfaces (though some convert amazingly well). For the older hair models I like to use UHT2: Ultimate Color, I also use it for a lot of new hair models as well. I used it on the image below.

With a bit of work, you can still use most of your V4 stuff. I thought I'd give an example of a "quick" conversion. I had forgotten what a challenge V4/G4 was to work with compared to Genesis 1-8 surprise. But I think this should give you an idea good some of it can look with Iray (be sure to click on the image to zoom to full resolution so you can see all of the details on the outfit). This could be better, but not bat for a quick example (about 30 min. - would have been faster but it's been a long time since I last used V4/G4). All of the cloths were manually converted to Iray Uber (select all the different materials/shaders for the clothing item, and convert to Iray Uber for each item). then I adjusted bump, glossy, and roughness as needed, as well as setting Metallicity to 100 for the metal parts.

Hope this helps a little!

Gen4 Bridged Example.jpg
    2000 x 2400 - 447K
    Post edited by DustRider on
    edited May 2020

Dustrider, I'm recommending you for a 3D medal. Thank you so very much for taking so much trouble. I do truly appreciate it. You've addressed the issue splendidly. I can't thank you enough. smiley

Post edited by contedesfees on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,772
    edited May 2020

There's a product by V3Digitimes that converts V4/M4 to Iray.

I can recommend this product, with the caveat that it's not really a one-click solution and does need a fair amount of manual fiddling. Not something I would have been able to do as a total beginner. But by now I do get beautiful results with it. Here's some IRAY renders with converted Generation 4 skins. (The figures in the examples are all Genesis 8 but the skins are Generation 4, so it should look the same on a V4 or M4.)

Grace

The Freak 4

Tamesis

Fighting Eagle by Tempesta3D (Renderosity)

Karass

Post edited by Hylas on

@Wicked Whomp,  @Hylas. Thank you very much for your replies. It seems there is a solution after all. Can't thank you enough.

• brainmuffinbrainmuffin Posts: 1,152

Adding these converters to my wishlist. Thanks!

• I certainly wish the galleries were available!!  I would love to purchase this product!!  However, my funds are so limited!!  It would be wonderful for my V4 character textures to be IRAY!  That IS what that does, right?

• Leana said:

Not in the latest version of DS. Most G4 figure content is broken in Studio 4.14. Try loading M4 and translating him on the X or Y access, for example. His legs will deform. Save out a scene and load it back in, chances are your G4 characters will come back in with corrupt poses. The M4 and V4 creature creator addons basically don't work at all anymore.

PD Smith posted a partial fix for this problem here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/459596/support-for-gen4-in-ds-4-14

Unfortunately, the fix breaks a lot of the character morphs.

Whether Daz intends to fix G4 character support in the next update is kind of uncertain. Although the fact that none of the G4 content is listed as being compatible with Daz Studio in the store anymore might suggest that they don't intend to fix it and have just decided not to support G4 content in Studio anymore.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

I'm not seeing any problems with M4 or the creature creator add-ons in 4.14.1.38