The Wakeful Brain Complaint Thread

Comments

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 1969

Heh great asploding TRex :) LW has had dynamics forever, but the way stuff breaks has always been problematic. The Fracture functionality gives you a fractal pattern that can be influenced a few ways, and takes care of enclosing the fractures and applying surfaces to the new geometry. You freeze the geometry for export if you want to make rubble and so on, but the hardest part has always been breaking surfaces up "realistically", which the new Fracture seems to do - I guess it has its limitations but haven't bumped up against them yet :)

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    Too lazy to cook, but takeaway lunch feels too much like a workday. Maybe I'll eat a banana ;)

how about a peanut butter and banana sandwich?

I made fried fish and tomato on wholemeal sandwich in the end :)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    edited July 2012

ps1borg said:
    The sun came out so I'm lazing in it :)

...yeah, when it finally happened here had to get out for a while. Went to the "bohemian" pub in the hood,, wonderful time as I was able to sit in the sun until it went behind the old "industrial deco" Coca Cola plant across the street.

I really love this neighboruhood. I'll be so bummed having to leave it.

...grillin; up a couple brats and some BBQ beans for dinner., nom nom nom!

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited July 2012

....just because.

See the USA...

They don;t make 'em like they used to.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

Well then. No sleep tonight, it seems. First, an epic thunder from Hell -- we had trees bending madly in wind, water pouring from the sky by dumptruckfuls, 195 lightning strikes per minute (checked the thunder trackers), everything was as dark as inside of a cat's butt, and the sky was a churning chasm to Abyss itself. Then, after the thunder was over, the sun poked over the horizon and went "'sup? Oh btw, gonna roast you right now, whatcha gonna do about it?"

edited December 1969

...just because again.

Musical Office

Kovacs was a comedic genius who put a lot of his own money into the show's skits and sight gags.

I wish there as much creativity today. The closest I've seen to this are the AniMusic vids.

Animusic - Cahedral Pictures

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ....just because.

See the USA...

They don;t make 'em like they used to.

ppl don't smile like that while they are singing any more :)

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,391
    edited July 2012

Did a quick Vray render of the loveable Digi-I Trex using a Bump map and a Normal map both using the same height (Strength) settings. First pic is the bump map second image is using the normal map (Vray can only do one or the other at one given time. They cannot be combined, but there isn't much point in doing so anyway.)
    Both use a Delta value of 1.0 (From what I understand, higher values make the bump softer, lower values rougher. Or the other way around...? I forget.) and have Bump Shadows enabled. Whatever that does ^_^;
    (I do know that having a poor UVW map and a triangulated model will result in undesirable effects with that enabled.)
    The difference between the two is most noticeable on his underbelly and his head. A lot more detail comes out on the belly with a normal map than it does with a bump map.
    I had to crop most of the image due to the non-resizing forum restriction, but this portion of the image is enough I think.
    The best way to see the difference IMO is to save them both, open them in a single Photoshop document (Or any other program that supports layers) and then just toggle visibility on the top layer.

rexnormal.jpg
    600 x 570 - 228K
    rexbump.jpg
    600 x 570 - 255K
    Post edited by Rezca on
    edited December 1969

I think bump shadows must mean geometry self-shadowing, which can be a pain when a surface is displaced and casts an unwanted shadow on another surface. Tweaking a shadow bias setting to greater than the area of the displaced geometry can work around, if shadow tweaking is available, rather than killing it altogether 'cos of ten you want bumps to shadow. Delta usually describes an increment at which a slope changes, so much per unit of measurement. Nice texture blueness :)

edited December 1969

The sun is going down on my first lazy day for months, thirteen or so more to go.

• WoolyloachWoolyloach Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Monday, Monday. And it starts off like a Monday, having to beg a ride to the local fast food place because Super Smart Me(tm) forgot to buy breakfast food over the weekend! Thankfully a sausage muffin w/ egg is only 30g of carb. Thankfully black coffee is zero carb (heh).

The weekend was almost a bust, but somehow I managed to fight through the frustration and get more content organized. The new arrangement is optimized for locating like things, so that I know that if I want a building or a location it's in "BuildingsAndPlaces", anything Aiko3 is in "Gen3", and so on. It reduces my number of runtimes and allows me to not have to skip around so much when I want to load and customize a V4 or A3 or such.

Did a lot of research and it appears that a decent Core i7 system can be had for under $1000, with 8GB of RAM and a 750GB HDD, which should be sufficient unto the task. I'd prefer 16GB of RAM but a laptop that takes that much is stupid expensive, at least if bought locally. And I really want to get this machine locally so that if it carps out on me, I can take it in to get it fixed, because my tweaking days are over.

Made chipotle chicken wings Sunday! OMG, they were KILLER! I have the formula down pat now for kick-asp wings:

- Cook wings 45 minutes (turning 1/2 way) on non-stick aluminum foil lined pan, makes crispy wings
    - Heat sauce in a WOK (of all things) and throw wings in
    - Toss wings until sauce cooks down and clings merrily to the crispy wings
    - EAT!!!! :snake:

So far I've made ht lemon-pepper wings, white pepper wings, and chipotle wings. Next up will be Indonesian Wings (made with Sri Racha sauce), then chili-lime wings, and finally SCREAMING DEATH WINGS with habanero sauce!!! :ahhh: Thankfully diabetes doesn't mean "no spicy food" (heh).

Podiatrist visit next Tuesday, I took the whole day off since he's a 2 hour bus ride away (feh). I hope he'll just bless my foot and I can get my life back! I take my last antifungal on Wednesday, so then I'm just down to 2 pills - the glyburide/metformin and the whatinheckstuff that's for my blood pressure. Whew!

Tonight or tomorrow I put my Core i5, video card, and power supply up for sale on Craigslist. If I can get grocery money out of them, I'll be happy(ish). It appears that swapping the HDD in the Asus laptop is super-simple and even a doofus can do it, so the 640GB HDD I have will end up there. The Asus will make a decent server machine, I think, and I can arrange nightly incremental backups to it.

Ok, bloggity posting done. Back to learning a new microcnontroller, studying how to write interactive fiction, working on the major character list for TVC, and trying to stay awake since the boss isn't here to poke me (rofl)!

Everyone have a great day/night! :coolsmile:

ps. Finally found a raft of good M4 clothing suitable for TVC on Rendo, so my male characters won't all look alike. Whew!

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

did someone mention monday? only time to finish one more faerie render in time.unless i call in sick tomorrow. i'm never gonna be able to buy c4d if i keep not working.

browsing weather maps this morning. :)

richmond.png
    773 x 181 - 72K
    untitled15.png
    773 x 733 - 248K
    untitled16.png
    800 x 420 - 144K
    edited December 1969

Austin has a lot of egg yolks in the sky

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,383
    edited December 1969

Thank god I'm not in Texas anymore.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,703
    edited December 1969

it is eleven am. I am trying to decide if I want breakfast now or wait an hour to have lunch.

edited December 1969

Just ordered for myself two really cool looking and detailed dinosaur models. Physical ones - not digital :(
    One is the same dinosaur model I have in my hands right now but in a running pose and not a sitting one :3
    I really really wish I had some textures matching these for Digi-I's Trex. Heck I wish I had a digital model of this guy XD
    So handsome he is.

edited December 1969

Austin has a lot of egg yolks in the sky

Yep, and they're all FRYING. Like all of us in Austin are!!!!

:-S :bug:

I'm frying like I'm lying
    In the middle of a griddle
    I'm a firestorm, in human form
    I'm a meltdown, I'm an underground nuclear blast!
    I'm frying

From Engorged With Bloods song: "Frying"

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Thank you, Lord, for breaking my lawn mower. Otherwise I would be out mowing the yard this week.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,703
    edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:
    Thank you, Lord, for breaking my lawn mower. Otherwise I would be out mowing the yard this week.

Do you have a neighbor kid who can mow your lawn for you?

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:

I'm starting to think this wasn't such a smart move, myself. :roll: :grrr:

edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:

We have gravel and ground cover. The gravel is growing the most. And dead cicadas.

edited December 1969

it is eleven am. I am trying to decide if I want breakfast now or wait an hour to have lunch.

brunch?

i'm heating up a mini pizza for brunch.

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:

what's your Fahrenheits today?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,383
    edited December 1969

A high of 87F and sunny. Beautiful summer day.

edited December 1969

brunch?

i'm heating up a mini pizza for brunch.

Todays lunch: diet Dr. Pepper, carrots cooked with ginger and white pepper, and a nice smoked turkey and cheddar on dark rye sammich. Moderately carb-y, should last me until dinner. Dessert is sugar-free black cherry Jell-o!

Diet note: 6 Triscuit crackers before bed is too much carb, I recommend 3. The whole-grain ones last all night!

edited July 2012

i was watching Lexx episodes again, not for Kai this time, but for Eva haberman.

there's a lot of cruelty in scifi. in star wars, even the droids were tortured. remembering the scene in jabba's the droid is flipped and it's 'feet' was tortured.

could a not cruel sff verse be interesting?
    by interesting, i mean sell

Post edited by Mistara on
    edited December 1969

i was watching Lexx episodes again, not for Kai this time, but for Eva haberman.

there's a lot of cruelty in scifi. in star wars, even the droids were tortured. remembering the scene in jabba's the droid is flipped and it's 'feet' was tortured.

Sure - replace the cruelty with something else interesting, like sex. Or intrigue, or deep mystery. Or comedy.

You just need something to liven things up, adding cruelty is pretty simple so a lot of people go that way.

edited December 1969

Doing some small meaningless for-fun "load-pose-render" scenes right naos. WHo knows they might evolve into an actual scene and an Art will come from all the goofing off. Maybe. But right now I need to go to sleep since I was up all night - again. Let Indigo crunch away at this "Solid room with a single dino in the middle and an area light" scene XD

edited December 1969

Sure - replace the cruelty with something else interesting, like sex. Or intrigue, or deep mystery. Or comedy.

You just need something to liven things up, adding cruelty is pretty simple so a lot of people go that way.

haz a book here somewhere on 'how to write a mystery' :lol:

i have a few characters into fetishes, with them gratuitous sex scenes is in character for them.
    but for characters like the gov't Ministers, it would be out of character. dunno, hmm. cogitation time.

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

i have a few characters into fetishes, with them gratuitous sex scenes is in character for them.
    but for characters like the gov't Ministers, it would be out of character. dunno, hmm. cogitation time.

What, NO WAY. If anything, it would be even more in-character for them.

This discussion has been closed.