golden rim light sun on hair and fur.

oomuoomu Posts: 175
edited May 2014 in Art Studio

Dear Daz community,

In this picture ( http://sta.sh/0umhvpuites,
a previous version http://yupasama.deviantart.com/art/Lapin-dans-un-village-de-provence-450413818 ), I managed to add a golden halo of light on the fur.

The character uses
- garibaldi hair plugin, surface settings: 0.66 transparency, TT intensity 2, and a yellow tint
- Loyce hair
- uberEnvironment2 light

But in truth, I would like to recreate the effect of bright sun rim light in hair, like in that stock photography : http://wallpaperscraft.com/download/child_girl_lights_locks_sun_49212/2560x1600

Do you think it's possible with polygonal hair like Loyce Hair, or I just need to go full garibaldi ?

Can you give me hint about light or shader or surface settings ?

or is it even possible to do it with Daz and 3Dlight ? :)

thanks for your advices and comments.

lapin_dans_un_village_de_provence___wip_2_by_yupasama-d7hcgsu.jpg
1728 x 1080 - 431K
Post edited by oomu on

Comments

• oomuoomu Posts: 175
    edited December 1969

no one interested by the question or it's the wrong forum ?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,859
    edited May 2014

maybe nobody knows answer?
    I myself think postwork is the best option for a still image
    in animation which I do, I would use multiple renders composited with background, just the hair backlit and , then the haired figure with a bit of alpha in hair if using a transmapped hair in a software supporting video backgrounds such as carrara, guess a similar thing could be done with layers of still images, I am not much of a postwork expert
    On Garibaldi no idea
    ask maybe in GB thread linking here

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

compositing ? okay, I'll try like that.

for now I limit myself to still image, so I will use photoshop for composition.

-
    I never used carrara and I read mixed opinions on it

Thanks for your advices.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited May 2014

All that can be done on pretty much any hair type, Bali, LAMH or Conforming and Prop hairs. All it takes is well placed rim lights with good settings. There is no proper way to do it. Whichever method works best for you is the method to use.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

It's not that it can't be done, as Jaderail says. It's that it requires careful placement of a lot of point or spotlights around/behind the head, and it's going to be fiddly and expensive on system requirements unless you can make it look right with shadows turned off on all of them (try that first).

edited December 1969

oh I didn't think to try without shadows on the hair. Also I didn't think more spot light would have make a difference than a big rim light

I'll try, thanks.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited May 2014

lainsd said:
    oh I didn't think to try without shadows on the hair. Also I didn't think more spot light would have make a difference than a big rim light

I'll try, thanks.

3Delight does not have "literal" lighting like Luxus or Octane. Rim lights frequently do not do what you think they will do and you have to use additional lights focused on specific areas to get an effect. That's assuming that I correctly understand what "rim light" means in this context (maybe I don't).

Post edited by SickleYield on
    edited December 1969

lainsd said:

I'll try, thanks.

3Delight does not have "literal" lighting like Luxus or Octane. Rim lights frequently do not do what you think they will do and you have to use additional lights focused on specific areas to get an effect. That's assuming that I correctly understand what "rim light" means in this context (maybe I don't).

it makes sense.

By rim light I meant a strong light behind the subject, but in fact I'm trying to mimic the way low sun light gives an halo around hair, and yes 3Delight does not do that without work.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

DAZ Studio lighting is a very different thing than the real world lighting built into many Apps. The reasons why vary from ease of use to for special effects that can not be done with real lighting. Which makes some things easy I admit and others very hard. But time spent on 3DeLight lighting is something that will pay off. The issue is it only applies to 3DeLight or other Renderman render engines. I have caught myself trying a method for DS in a Luxus Render many times before and then wondering why it did not work.

edited December 1969

thanks, I will post my progress.

• I would like to recreate the effect of bright sun rim light in hair, like in that stock photography :

https://www.artsfon.com/163739-pictures-hq-boy-child-road-toy-suitcase-bear-road-boy-child-toy-suitcase-bear.html

is it even possible to do it with Daz and 3Dlight ?