high resolution morph-skip base

donusargondonusargon Posts: 4
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi, I'm trying to sculpt wrinkles into genesis but I can only seem to edit the base resolution mesh(not enough polygons) and get a successful re-importation. Since genesis has multiple resolutions, is there a way to export the higher resolution mesh from daz to sculpt in zbrush and re-import that back in to daz3d 4.6?

I'm not talking about increasing the resolution within zbrush,but just using the already exising higher resolution genesis that is already in Daz make shape changes.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,884
    edited December 1969

No, or at least not unless you are a PA making content to sell at DAZ 3D. However, you can export higher detail as displacement which, while not ideal (it's UV-dependent and moves only along the normal, so no undercutting) does offer more detail at rendertime than a base morph. You will need to export the OBJ and then import it into ZBrush, using Mats as Polygroups instead of groups, so that you can selectively hide parts of the mesh when creating the different displacement maps - GoZ doesn't preserve groups at all.

• donusargondonusargon Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

Thank you for the reply, Richard.
    What is this PA thing and how does it facilitate editing of higher res meshes?

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

PA stands for Published Artist and refers to the vendors who sell their content on Daz's site. The HD tech which allows you to build morphs on top of the subdivided Genesis mesh is kept in a secret underground lair and guarded by lava spitting cerberii, deadly laser traps and ill-tempered sea bass. Only PA's have access to this tech, so unless you produce content professionally, don't expect to be able to use it.

It's possible to use subdivided Genesis to build a HD figure, but it will not act as a morph and you'd have to go through the trouble of re-rigging the entire figure once you re-import it.

• donusargondonusargon Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

thanks, HeraldOfFire. I guess I'll have to look into going the P.A route.

Hopefully, this secret HD tech becomes available to non-vendors in the near future.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Is there such a thing as a freeware PA?

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

*ONE YEAR LATER*

Any headway on this issue? Can we make HD morphs yet without being a PA?

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Not that I'm aware of.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

No

• Fragg1960Fragg1960 Posts: 354
    edited June 2015

I'm finding the deliberately imposed limitation of not being able to make HD morphs in ZBrush and then import them back into Studio to be extremely annoying (and unnecessary). It's technically possible, but all the admins ever say about it is that it's not allowed unless you are a PA, but never say why regular users are not allowed to do it for our own personal use. Instead we have to jump through hoops and create displacement maps in ZBrush to "simulate" the detail back in Studio.

Must be tied to money--it's the only reason I can come up with. Why doesn't Studio just sell the ability as an optional HD plug in to users and make money that way instead of just shutting the door on non-PA users of their software?

Post edited by Fragg1960 on
  • rf2016rf2016 Posts: 186
    edited December 1969

I agree, Fragg1960. It's very annoying. I don't know of some other software limiting their users in this way.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114
    edited December 1969

lots of other software has exclusive features only available in that particular piece of software that could be used in others if it weren't for limitations.Windows and MAC OS's come to mind immediately.AMD and NVIDIA driver features, just to name a few relevant pieces.I'm sure a very long list of other software could be made here.

I honestly don't see the issue here.I purchased the V6 HD morphs and can use them on all of my G2F characters.I looked at pricing for zbrush and I must admit at $795 for a single user license, the HD morphs at the current price of $39.95 (non PC+) or $27.97 (PC+ member) are more attractive to a consumer level user such as myself.If I purchased every HD add-on in the store, it still wouldn't cost me $800, it's around $350 currently for all of the ones I can find in the store at this moment.Then I would have HD morphs for all the characters.

• Fragg1960Fragg1960 Posts: 354
    edited December 1969

No one is suggesting that it would be more cost effective to buy ZBrush to make make your own HD morphs for Studio characters (it obviously is not). Especially not considering all the HD options that have been added to Studio (which are, in all honesty, quite good).

But if you already have ZBrush and also use Studio, it makes no sense to purposely nerf the ability for users of Studio to create their own custom HD morphs. It's more likely tied to the fact that they only want DAZ vendors to make HD products for DAZ (and not for anyone else). DAZ wants to maintain HD product exclusivity with PAs and the non-PA users are stuck in the middle of it (even if some of us could make our own HD morphs instead of using the canned ones provided in the HD packages).

• Still nothing has changed in 2020 I gues? I am trying to make a HD morph of GEN8F. So I can only import G8F base as morph, right? :/

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,033

No, it has not changed, creating HD morphs is not possible unless you're a Daz PA with the required tools.

• Still nothing has changed in 2020 I gues? I am trying to make a HD morph of GEN8F. So I can only import G8F base as morph, right? :/

Yes.