Need help with finding a Graphics card

I currently render using my CPU using Iray. which can cause long renders and low movement.as I have been interested in daz since middle school,I figure its time to find a suitable card for rendering.I currently have an AMD.This is why i render with CPU.

I know that it depends on the cuda cores,but I do not know much else.

I was told something like this was good as it had 2080 equivalent cuda cores.

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Gaming-Backplate-06G-P4-2068-KR/dp/B083GH7LXW/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=EVGA+2060+KO&qid=1589661545&sr=8-1&th=1

Comments

• Wallace3DWallace3D Posts: 166

If you only do small simple scenes then a GPU card with 5GiB of ram is fine

but if you do large Complex scenes then you will need a card with more VRAM and Cuda Cores like the Titan RTX (which is on my wish list)

once a scene uses up the Avilable Vram at the start of a render it will fallback to the CPU 

• memoriivmemoriiv Posts: 64
    Wallace3D said:

If you only do small simple scenes then a GPU card with 5GiB of ram is fine

but if you do large Complex scenes then you will need a card with more VRAM and Cuda Cores like the Titan RTX (which is on my wish list)

once a scene uses up the Avilable Vram at the start of a render it will fallback to the CPU 

what would be considered complex?I currently use 1 or 2 figures in a scene. I usually do HDRI lighting and background to reduce render time but sometimes use indoor enviroments

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,676
    edited May 2020

Buying new, knowing what I know now, I would never buy less than a 2080 super. If I couldn't afford it, I would save for longer. My next card will probably be a Ti or titan version, takes longer to save for, but worth it in the long run.

https://pcpartpicker.com/

Invaluable tool when shopping for PC parts! If you are not in the us, click on the US flag up top right and pick your country.

Post edited by TheKD on
  • kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805
    memoriiv said:

I currently render using my CPU using Iray. which can cause long renders and low movement.as I have been interested in daz since middle school,I figure its time to find a suitable card for rendering.I currently have an AMD.This is why i render with CPU.

I know that it depends on the cuda cores,but I do not know much else.

I was told something like this was good as it had 2080 equivalent cuda cores.

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Gaming-Backplate-06G-P4-2068-KR/dp/B083GH7LXW/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=EVGA+2060+KO&qid=1589661545&sr=8-1&th=1

the 2060 KO is an excellent choice for price to eprformance. 6Gb of VRAM will be more limiting than 8 but you can make it work. You'll need to optimize scenes more often but if that is where your budget is at it is a good choice.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

There's a general principle sometimes mentioned here, that applies to system RAM, and graphics card VRAM and CUDA count — "as much as your budget will allow".

Note that this doesn't have to apply to your CPU; if you have enough VRAM that your scenes won't overflow and fall off the card, your CPU doesn't need to be the latest bleeding-edge lightning-fast (and expen$$$ive) shiny thing.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,075

The card doesn't have "2080 Cuda cores". It apparnetly has a 2080 GPU that failed osme of the QC checks and has some prts of the chip disabled. It has the same CUDA cores as a "regular" RTX 2060. It is reported to have better performance in Blender than a plain RTX 2060, but I've found any comparisons for Studio. Not being a Blender user I can't say how that translates.

All that said, @SpottedKitty 's advice is the simplest recommendation.

fastbike1 said:

The card doesn't have "2080 Cuda cores". It apparnetly has a 2080 GPU that failed osme of the QC checks and has some prts of the chip disabled. It has the same CUDA cores as a "regular" RTX 2060. It is reported to have better performance in Blender than a plain RTX 2060, but I've found any comparisons for Studio. Not being a Blender user I can't say how that translates.

Do you think I should go for a 2080 or ti if so?

It is reported by EVGA to have the same CUDA as a stock 2060 but under testing using CUDA applications, like Blender's Cycles render engine, it performs like a 2080. That sure looks like Nvidia didn't lock out the CUDA like they said.

It is reported by EVGA to have the same CUDA as a stock 2060 but under testing using CUDA applications, like Blender's Cycles render engine, it performs like a 2080. That sure looks like Nvidia didn't lock out the CUDA like they said.

This is my first time really looking into cuda cores.so I feel like I am being spun around several times lol. So does that mean it is a good card ?
    memoriiv said:

This is my first time really looking into cuda cores.so I feel like I am being spun around several times lol. So does that mean it is a good card ?

It means it will render faster than a standard 2060. It still has only 6Gb of VRAM. I'd say it is the best available new budget card for iRay.

@memoriiv "Do you think I should go for a 2080 or ti if so?"

If you can afford a 2080 TI, get it. How ever makes sure ir fits in your case. Three fan RTX cards are all quite long. I'm not sure I've even seen a two RTX 2080 TI.

RTX 2080 Supers are about $500 USD cheaper than a 2080 TI and will perform better than any other 20XX card except the 2080 TI. There are a number fo 2 fan 2080 Supers that should fit any mid tower case.

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited May 2020
    fastbike1 said:

@memoriiv "Do you think I should go for a 2080 or ti if so?"

If you can afford a 2080 TI, get it. How ever makes sure ir fits in your case. Three fan RTX cards are all quite long. I'm not sure I've even seen a two RTX 2080 TI.

RTX 2080 Supers are about $500 USD cheaper than a 2080 TI and will perform better than any other 20XX card except the 2080 TI. There are a number fo 2 fan 2080 Supers that should fit any mid tower case.

Yeah the guy who installed my 3 fan Gygabite 2080ti said he had to work to get it in..

Post edited by Bobvan on

The 3 fan 2080 TIs are typically 13" long.

fastbike1 said:

The 3 fan 2080 TIs are typically 13" long.

Same dimentions as the 1080ti. since it fits in the same box (already sold:)

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301
    memoriiv said:
    fastbike1 said:

If you plan to work with Daz a lot, and if you can afford it, then yes, buy the 2080ti. I've been using mine for a few weeks and it's improved my experience working with Daz.  

Whether you should buy it now or wait for prices come down once the next generation of cards come out later this year (probably?), or perhaps buy one of those newer cards is another question.

Fun fact: my 2-fan 2080ti was a cm shorter than the 1070 it replaced.

edited May 2020
    Sevrin said:
    memoriiv said:
    fastbike1 said:

If you plan to work with Daz a lot, and if you can afford it, then yes, buy the 2080ti. I've been using mine for a few weeks and it's improved my experience working with Daz.  

Whether you should buy it now or wait for prices come down once the next generation of cards come out later this year (probably?), or perhaps buy one of those newer cards is another question.

Fun fact: my 2-fan 2080ti was a cm shorter than the 1070 it replaced.

Cool card isnt it?  Im liking mine... I wond up getting a 3 fan Gygabite. I let the $1350 Voltek slide cause ppl were saying wait for the annoucement the following week which did not turn out to be much for our use..Nice to see what is coming all the same.. I ntoice my new GPU is much quieter.

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751

Dependent on your budget (if you're a baller, ignore) I would wait for NVIDIA Ampere. All the talk is of it blowing Turing out of the water in ray tracing.  If you spend many $ on a card now and can't afford to replace it inside of twelve months, you'll regret it.  Also remember if Ampere performance is to be believed, you'll be seeing $300 2080 Tis on ebay next year, and still won't want to buy one.

Disclaimer: Don't quote me.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,413
    Robinson said:

Dependent on your budget (if you're a baller, ignore) I would wait for NVIDIA Ampere. All the talk is of it blowing Turing out of the water in ray tracing.  If you spend many $ on a card now and can't afford to replace it inside of twelve months, you'll regret it.  Also remember if Ampere performance is to be believed, you'll be seeing $300 2080 Tis on ebay next year, and still won't want to buy one.

If history is a guide we will have to wait a bit after the cards release before Iray can use them (the last couple of times, use them at all).

Robinson said:

I figured by then I will be close to due for my next system so the whole thing will be a bomb!

Which would be better for daz? I found both for around $300. Nvidia 2060 or a Nvidia 1070 ti?

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

I would do the 1070 ti because of the 8GB Vram

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,284
    memoriiv said:

Which would be better for daz? I found both for around $300. Nvidia 2060 or a Nvidia 1070 ti?

I’d save up another $100 for a 2060 Super. 

Gordig said:
    memoriiv said:

I’d save up another $100 for a 2060 Super. 

what is the difference between the super?

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,284

8GB of VRAM, more CUDA cores than the regular 2060 (fewer than the 1070 ti, but you can’t compare CUDA across generations), and RTX cores which speed up renders compared to GTX cards. 

Gordig said:

8GB of VRAM, more CUDA cores than the regular 2060 (fewer than the 1070 ti, but you can’t compare CUDA across generations), and RTX cores which speed up renders compared to GTX cards. 

nice,ty!I had no idea about that!

edited May 2020

I can attest to it. I have had one render need 4 hours to clear skin lines otherwise my 2080ti is much faster overall.

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,938

I need help buying one too cheeky

monetary help laugh

I need help buying one too cheeky

monetary help laugh

angel

• borgtrekkerborgtrekker Posts: 112

I need help finding a new card also, however due to the age of my MB I am unable to use PCI 3, which almost all newer cards require... 

Currently I am using an NVIDIA Geforce 960 card with 4 GB of Ram, on an older ASUS P6X58D Premium MB, with 36 GB Ram, and an Intel Xeon 8 core CPU.

Any suggestion with not having to upgrade everything will be most appreciated.

thanks.

Look on eBay/Craigslist for 970, 980 or 980 ti's or the GTX Titan X. Those are the only cards that can improve on the 960 that will run on PCIE gen 2. However it might be smarter to upgrade. You can get a much more recent refurbed system off Groupon or other sites that can be upgraded.

But if you do buy the GPU don't spend more than $100 or so. Those cards are terrible for iRay.