make children turn off with parent?

Okay, you can make a group and turn the group on and off with the group name. got that. 
But I want each subgroup I create under that behave the same way with it's sub items
----
but I make buildings and while I start with a group of items I often want to subgroup them
----
The group may be the four walls and then I start building windows and put them under a wall .. 
but it seems unless I make the wall and it's windows a group which tosses them out of the first group
I can't just drag the windows under the wall .. turn off the wall and have the windows disappear, too.
---
this is an issue I've seen in products too
(not the least is loading something and having it come in as 40 separate items) 
---
but anyway is dragging an item  under another item parenting it and is there a setting that can be used to make the children follow the parent as in I turn the parent invisible and everything under it disappears?

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,812

each group needs to be grouped under a group not grouped under an object to hide them

• I figured but I hoped I was missing something..  why in the heck if grouping under an object lets you move them as group etc etc, why in the heck don't they turn on with the main one... 
    ===
    and let's not even get started on the new two line group thing .. where the one you have to use is the second one if you want the group to have a name

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,812

I figured but I hoped I was missing something..  why in the heck if grouping under an object lets you move them as group etc etc, why in the heck don't they turn on with the main one... 
    ===
    and let's not even get started on the new two line group thing .. where the one you have to use is the second one if you want the group to have a name

because it is DAZ studio not Carrara ( or a fair few other softwares I use)

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,153

Hold down the Ctrl key when you click the eyeball to turn off the parent visibility.

• barbult said:

Hold down the Ctrl key when you click the eyeball to turn off the parent visibility.

thank you...  will still have to group eventually ..but this will let me do quick turn off the front wall or a back wall to work inside. 

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,849

I figured but I hoped I was missing something..  why in the heck if grouping under an object lets you move them as group etc etc, why in the heck don't they turn on with the main one... 
    ===

I am not at all clear what you mean here

• make a cube... make a second and a third. 
    drag the last two and place them under the first. 
     what I wanted was to turn them all off without having to make a group
    1) 3 cubes
    2) 2 parented to 1
    3) turn off 1 doesn't turn off children 
    4) if I ctl click it will turn them off .. that's what I was looking for. 
    5) is one of my scene lists from a project in the works.  Being able to just drag them as children and the hiding them is time saving as opposed to make a "group" of every subset. 
    It seemed there should be some way and there was. 

3 items.jpg
    344 x 322 - 28K
    3 items parented.jpg
    344 x 322 - 34K
    3 items top off.jpg
    344 x 322 - 30K
    3 items with control click.jpg
    344 x 322 - 30K
  • as for the part about the two line group thing
    when you open the group command 
    you get a box with 2 lines you can type in
    ---
    if you type in the top line .. no matter what you type it's "group"
    you have to drop down to the second line to name the group "3 cubes" or whatever and have it show up in the scene list with that name
    --
    It's a nuisance because for how many year did the group palette open with the top line you typed into. 
    ---
    in 10,000 scene files I've stopped and typed into that top line a whole bunch of times 
    And now I have to stop and think in order to do something that was automatic. 
    first shot 4.12.. second shot 4.9

group naming.jpg
    494 x 701 - 112K
    old group command.jpg
    494 x 798 - 112K