Help using Rendernodes on different network?

edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

HI guys, I have a wonderful and understanding work who has a whole bunch of machines sitting in a server room that they are willing to let me install rendernode software on... sadly, they are on a different subnet. So I can reach the machines from my computer at work, the routing all works, but I'm on a 172.16.53.x address and they are on a 192.168.15.x ip address. Any suggestions on how I can get my main render machine to recognize the node machines? Any networking tricks?

Thanks,
Boojum

Comments

• Analog-X64Analog-X64 Posts: 110
    edited April 2014

Are you trying to access these work machines from home? or at work? If at work, the routing can be configured on the main switch level.

Oh and there is also the option of adding a 2nd Network interface. On a laptop you can get a USB one.

On a PC if you have an open slot you can install a 2nd NIC Card and have that access the different subnet. That is one way to get around.

Post edited by Analog-X64 on
  • edited April 2014

At work, and the machines can already talk to each other... but they are not on the same subnet and asking my work to redo their whole datacenter so they are on the same subnet is not something I can do. And they can't put me on the same subnet as the data center, that was already told to me.

Post edited by Boojum the brown bunny on
    edited December 1969

At work, and the machines can already talk to each other... but they are not on the same subnet and asking my work to redo their whole datacenter so they are on the same subnet is not something I can do. And they can't put me on the same subnet as the data center, that was already told to me.

Get your self a 2nd Network card, and configure to the same as the Datacentre subnet.

I've done this at work where I have a machine that needs to access two separate subnets and setting up routing in the switch is not an option.

• edited December 1969

My cube already has 2 drops and it would cost a lot to add another. So it sounds like it's not going to work. *drat* I was hoping to be able to use some of the extra capacity here to blow through some animations, not to mention the power savings. Thanks for the idea's, however. I think this is going to have to wait until Carrara allows us to specify IP addresses for rendernodes rather than using broadcast to find them.

Boojum the brown bunny

edited December 1969

You can getaway with a small GS-108 Negear Gigabit switch they are very affordable and you would not need to add another drop.

This can be done... You can do it :)

Sometimes I have 4 computers at my desk in addition to my own workstation, so I use the GS-108 with no issues.

So get a GS-108, get a Second NIC and you will be rendering in no time. :)

• edited December 1969

You can getaway with a small GS-108 Negear Gigabit switch they are very affordable and you would not need to add another drop.

This can be done... You can do it :)

Sometimes I have 4 computers at my desk in addition to my own workstation, so I use the GS-108 with no issues.

So get a GS-108, get a Second NIC and you will be rendering in no time. :)

Please note.. This is not a question on my technical capability of doing it and what my work will allow me to do. I could drop a second nic card in my computer and then run an ethernet cable out my cube, down the walkways and hallways, into the secured datacenter by propping the door open.. gaffer tape the whole thing down. But no, my work won't let me do that. :D

It's ok, I'll try out some of the other software I have and see if I can take advantage of their generosity in letting my use their idling computers. I'll just use Carrara at home.

Boojum the brown bunny