2»

Comments

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

jakiblue said:
    what about:

http://www.daz3d.com/diner-food-4

are hamburgers and/or chips D&D food?
    Never played it - yes, I know, my geek cred just went in the gutter LOL - but I never actually knew anyone who played it, so never got invited to a game.

Chips are definitely "game food." Burgers... maybe somebody will bring one to eat before the game, but they get in the way of rolling the dice.

As for trying out a game, if you live in a medium-to-large city, there's probably at least one game store in town. I've never seen a game store that didn't have a bulletin board where people could post "looking for players" announcements.

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited April 2014

I just wanted to say my thanks to Valandar for making this. This is a first store item in a long while that made me smile. Especially when I saw hexes :)

And did anybody read random encounter chart at GM screen? :D

Post edited by Kattey on
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

The weird thing is, for our group which now consists of 3 families, "Gaming Food" is just as often home made bread and cakes, occasionally things that are probably better served as canapes, and foods that can at least make a claim to being "healthy" as it is chips (both fries and crisps) and soda.

Like with gamblers, one handed treats that aren't too messy are key, though since we play Exalted, it's more a matter of being able to put the food down quickly to scoop up the 10-20 dice.

• ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417
    edited December 1969

D&D wasn't my first game, either.

Technically, I suppose, it WAS my first ROLE PLAYING game - but my first game was Car Wars from Steve Jackson Games.

• DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451
    edited December 1969

...the really odd thing was D&D/AD&D as not the first RPG I played. There was a little small press game titled Beasts Men & Gods written by a couple guys from Kansas City back in the early 80s. Compared to it, D&D and even AD&D seemed so limited and "clunky".

That one sounds interesting too

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited April 2014

Well, D&D wasn't my first RPG ever as well, at least not entirely so. For me it was a strangest mix of bootleg D&D 1st edition, Edda (both Poetic and Prose) mythology and 'Enchanted Land' board game (which was never translated to English). I recall we had a flying arse monster that farted lightnings O_o

Post edited by Kattey on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,577
    edited December 1969

jakiblue said:
    what about:

Never played it - yes, I know, my geek cred just went in the gutter LOL - but I never actually knew anyone who played it, so never got invited to a game.

...oh heck, burgers, yes. Have all the different diner food props.
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,577
    edited December 1969

robkelk said:
    jakiblue said:
    what about:

Chips are definitely "game food." Burgers... maybe somebody will bring one to eat before the game, but they get in the way of rolling the dice.

As for trying out a game, if you live in a medium-to-large city, there's probably at least one game store in town. I've never seen a game store that didn't have a bulletin board where people could post "looking for players" announcements.
    ...in one group I was with we frequently went to get take out at the burger joint or sub sandwich shop across the street.

• ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    robkelk said:
    jakiblue said:
    what about:

...in one group I was with we frequently went to get take out at the burger joint or sub sandwich shop across the street.

I was in one group that played at a local Denny's - the General Manager of that site was the brother of the GM. :D

Another group I was in for years was a group of friends where we met at the house of one young lady whose father was a clasically trained chef, and had taught her how to cook. Her "throwing together something simple" was better than most peoples' all-out meals. Her "lazy day" meals were often things like shrimp in pasta with a butter cream sauce she simply called "shrimpy pasta", and was better than most restaurants', and when she went all-out... well, one week we had Mongolian pork tenderloin just for starters. :P