Carrara Challenge # 52 - Carrara Cryptids WIP thread--Entries Ended

Comments

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234
    edited May 2020

Here is a brief explanation of how I got the wings to fold up. For some reason is was difficult to find a clear explanation of how this occurs in nature despite googling 'bird wing anatomy' every which I could think of. This video finally provided the explanation (video shows wing bones from a real dead bird, just a warning if that bothers you):

In brief, the way the Humerus and Radius/Ulna come together...they form a slot or groove so when the wing draws closed, the elbow is forced to follow this groove path and that is how the wing tucks under while closing. Mother Nature is friggin' amazing! Thankfully 3D uses a lot of smoke and mirrors and fakery so we don't have to worry about that level of detail of modeling/simulation

For now this test uses a heirarchy instead of bones. I hope to explore making a better wing rig using bones. 

Here is a top view. I only have the Primary (pink) and Secondary (violet) flight feathers for this demo. 

I modeled Hand, Elbow/Radius and Humerus 'bones' and each is attached to a Null (er...a sphere, so we can see it clearly).
    The Radius has 2 duplicate Nulls/Joints. The 'Radius_Joint' controls the rotation on Z axis and the 'Radius_Wing_Fold_Joint' controls the rotation on the Y axis.
    The 'Hand', 'Radius_Joint' and 'Humerus_Joint' all rotate on the Z together, along with each individual Primary and Secondary feathers (P1, P2 etc and S1 S2 etc). The feathers fold up like a fan as the Hand and Radius draw close to the body, while the the 'Radius_Wing_Fold_Joint" rotates on the Y axis. The Secondary flight feathers should end up ontop of the Primary flight feathers when fully closed.

The feathers are arranged in an arc to provide for that (I think my example has a bit of poke thru - can be easily fixed with more care of feather placement). This could easily be tied up into an NLA clip to make things nice and tidy.

Still don't know if this is totally 'correct'. Please let me know if this is wrong/bad advice. blush

edit: OMG, I just noticed I have the 'leading edge' of the Primary feathers backwards. Lol.
    edit#2: Forgot to add screen grab of the heirarchy...

top_wing_open.jpg
    1023 x 848 - 43K
    top_half_closed.jpg
    729 x 732 - 29K
    front_half_closed.jpg
    1025 x 657 - 20K
    top_closed.jpg
    602 x 546 - 25K
    front_closed.jpg
    521 x 600 - 11K
    side_closed.jpg
    1040 x 857 - 20K
    hierarchy.jpg
    229 x 531 - 55K
    Post edited by DesertDude on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,081
    edited May 2020

Thank you for the kind words on my Cyclops, Bunyip, Headwax, UB, CBird, and DesertDude. 

WIP - Cyclops Textures, the Beginning

Growing a Carrara hair eyebrow got me thinking about how I wanted to do the facial texture (with or without baked in eyebrow).  So, I have been playing around with textures.  I have some reference pics I bought from 3DSK at that other 3D store.  Got them more than ten years ago.  I often go for a very flat toonish texture, but I thought I'd go for something different for me this time.  I loaded the reference image in my image editor, grabbed the eydropper tool, and set up some base background colors.  All experiments thus far.  The whole body has a base texture with procedural bump and subsurface scattering.  I'm starting to adjust and add detail to the face and eyeball.  You can probably see the edge of the face UV map.  

The highlights for the eyeball are currently baked in but I will be removing that.  I did include a separate cornea mesh in the model, so will experiment with highlight and reflection maps.

Eyebrow is Carrara hair

Just the beginning.

Cyclops WIP Painting.jpg
    800 x 600 - 24K
    Post edited by Diomede on

UB, I haven't seen Grimm but your characters are inspirational.  I will have to check for streaming status.  Excellent render.

DesertDude - wow, just wow.  Stezza has sort of an enforced break from birds and you step in with incredible research and modeling.  Impressive project.  The wings have great detail.  Can't wait to see the finish.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Thanks Cbird, DesertDude, and Diomede for the comments on the Wesen render.  I figure that many folks here are not familiar with Grimm.  Neither was I until a few months ago.  The characters I chose to render are not exact, just fanciful representations.

edited May 2020

One more update on the Cyclops.  Here I've added a balding hairline ("horse shoe"), some eyelashes, and morphs to blink the eye, and to rotate the eye.  A Carrara hair tip is related to UV mapping and 3D paint.  One can apply hair to a model by selecting the polygons to be covered with hair.  Of course, this means that the hair line must follow the edge flow of the model.  If the mesh is properly UVMapped, one can use a painted texture map in the density channel of the hair shader to control the placement and thickness of the hair.  For the main head hair, I used a density mapp that I painted on the head with the 3D paint tool.  For the eye lashes, I selected the polygons on the edge of the eyelids.  I also changed the eye color to blue to searate more from the skin color and eliminated the baked in highlights.  I created a bulge morph for the cornea but I haven't fiddled with the cornea texture yet.

uu01 update eyelashes blue eyes head hair blink morph and eye move morph.jpg
    640 x 480 - 16K
    uu02.jpg
    640 x 480 - 16K
    uu03.jpg
    640 x 480 - 16K
    uu07.jpg
    640 x 480 - 15K
    zz01 cyclops uvmap.jpg
    1905 x 994 - 434K
    tt13 load painted map in density channel of hair shader.jpg
    920 x 600 - 94K
    tt06 paint a hairline and then use spotted brush to get uneven fringe.jpg
    1408 x 927 - 153K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,802

Grimm series is good yes

@Diomede that is one creepy dude, I'd be keeping an eye on him - awesome modeling & uv'ing cool

Wesen

When Cbird first proposed this Challenge topic, my first thought was the TV show Grimm.  The premise in Grimm is that since the very beginning of human history, there has existed a parallel species, called Wesen (VES-sin).  Wesen appear to be human, but have an animal-like nature that can only be seen by humans if Wesens choose to reveal it.  Mostly they keep their secret hidden, but mistakes happen, and they are seen occasionally, resulting in the cryptid legends such as Yeti, Anubus, Chubicabra, etc..

The Challenge seemed perfect for exploring the various creature creator packages that have been gathering dust on my hard drive. :)

The characters, from left to right, are G2M, G2F, M4, V4, and Genesis.

The Wesen species are, from left to right - Skalengeck, Bauerschwein, Hundjager, Hexenbiest, and Aswang.

Note - In the show, famous people have sometimes been Wesen.  I had fun imagining Sherlock Holmes as a Hundjager.  Also, the Aswang on the show looked almost exactly like Undead Fiend, to the point where I wonder if the show's artists actually just lifted his image directly from the Daz character. :)

Carrara processes include hair, text, clouds, bulge modifier, and aura.

No postwork.

great Grimming there ... love it heart

Here is a brief explanation of how I got the wings to fold up. For some reason is was difficult to find a clear explanation of how this occurs in nature despite googling 'bird wing anatomy' every which I could think of. This video finally provided the explanation (video shows wing bones from a real dead bird, just a warning if that bothers you):

In brief, the way the Humerus and Radius/Ulna come together...they form a slot or groove so when the wing draws closed, the elbow is forced to follow this groove path and that is how the wing tucks under while closing. Mother Nature is friggin' amazing! Thankfully 3D uses a lot of smoke and mirrors and fakery so we don't have to worry about that level of detail of modeling/simulation

For now this test uses a heirarchy instead of bones. I hope to explore making a better wing rig using bones. 

Here is a top view. I only have the Primary (pink) and Secondary (violet) flight feathers for this demo. 

I modeled Hand, Elbow/Radius and Humerus 'bones' and each is attached to a Null (er...a sphere, so we can see it clearly).
    The Radius has 2 duplicate Nulls/Joints. The 'Radius_Joint' controls the rotation on Z axis and the 'Radius_Wing_Fold_Joint' controls the rotation on the Y axis.
    The 'Hand', 'Radius_Joint' and 'Humerus_Joint' all rotate on the Z together, along with each individual Primary and Secondary feathers (P1, P2 etc and S1 S2 etc). The feathers fold up like a fan as the Hand and Radius draw close to the body, while the the 'Radius_Wing_Fold_Joint" rotates on the Y axis. The Secondary flight feathers should end up ontop of the Primary flight feathers when fully closed.

The feathers are arranged in an arc to provide for that (I think my example has a bit of poke thru - can be easily fixed with more care of feather placement). This could easily be tied up into an NLA clip to make things nice and tidy.

Still don't know if this is totally 'correct'. Please let me know if this is wrong/bad advice. blush

edit: OMG, I just noticed I have the 'leading edge' of the Primary feathers backwards. Lol.
    edit#2: Forgot to add screen grab of the heirarchy...

great stuff this yes

Thanks Diomede and Stezza for the nice comments.

Stezza said:

@Diomede that is one creepy dude, I'd be keeping an eye on him - awesome modeling & uv'ing cool

+1 yes

Thanks for the info on UV's, 3D Paint and Hair. I never fully understood the UV option for hair. Cool, something new to try!
    Skin texture is already looking good. Will be watching with interest.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,822
    edited May 2020

Stezza said:

+1 yes

Thanks for the info on UV's, 3D Paint and Hair. I never fully understood the UV option for hair. Cool, something new to try!

hair UV follows the underlying mesh from the root to the tip with the option of two maps one for root one for tip

so if you have a rainbow stripe spectrum map and it is a spherically mapped sphere you would get latitudinal rings one way and longitudinal segments the other rotating it for example, and the swap along the strand if doing one way on root other on tip.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Stezza said:

+1 yes

hair UV follows the underlying mesh from the root to the tip with the option of two maps one for root one for tip

so if you have a rainbow stripe spectrum map and it is a spherically mapped sphere you would get latitudinal rings one way and longitudinal segments the other rotating it for example, and the swap along the strand if doing one way on root other on tip.

Ah, thank you Wendy. Not sure I fully follow that yet, will have to give it a try and muck around.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,701

UB - excellent Grimm, Reptillian & Sherlock Holmes are my type of critters !!!

DesertDude - Fantabulous, modelling those wings is getting me very interested in doing some modelling of my own !!!

Diomede - your Cyclops just keeps getting betterer all the time !!!

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Stezza and Bunyip, thanks for the good words!

Diomede and DesertDude, interesting modeling.  Can't wait to see the finished products. yes

Bunyip, hoping to see your modeling very soon. yes

Hope that more enter this Challenge as well.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

thanks UB Cbird Desert Dude Ted and Stezza for your kindness ... ha ha hope I didnt leave anyone out!! (or put anyone in)

Diomede that monobrow really revvs up the character another step. Interesting how artists normally put the eye in the centre of the forehead (from memory) I like your anatomical positioning.

Wesen

When Cbird first proposed this Challenge topic, my first thought was the TV show Grimm.  The premise in Grimm is that since the very beginning of human history, there has existed a parallel species, called Wesen (VES-sin).  Wesen appear to be human, but have an animal-like nature that can only be seen by humans if Wesens choose to reveal it.  Mostly they keep their secret hidden, but mistakes happen, and they are seen occasionally, resulting in the cryptid legends such as Yeti, Anubus, Chubicabra, etc..

The Challenge seemed perfect for exploring the various creature creator packages that have been gathering dust on my hard drive. :)

The characters, from left to right, are G2M, G2F, M4, V4, and Genesis.

The Wesen species are, from left to right - Skalengeck, Bauerschwein, Hundjager, Hexenbiest, and Aswang.

Note - In the show, famous people have sometimes been Wesen.  I had fun imagining Sherlock Holmes as a Hundjager.  Also, the Aswang on the show looked almost exactly like Undead Fiend, to the point where I wonder if the show's artists actually just lifted his image directly from the Daz character. :)

Carrara processes include hair, text, clouds, bulge modifier, and aura.

No postwork.

wow it always impresses me how you can pull something like this off with no postwork - looks like a tv add for the show 

@DesertDude talking about anatomical - great lesson thankjs for the explantion - love how you have constructed the wing and the style you use for your artwork.

edited May 2020

here's the Tooth Fairy - m1 made his skin transparent so you could see the underlying skeleton - used a bulb to just light the skeleton - littl;e girl in the bed is reused from a Peter Pan render I did a few years ago - (rerendered in a forest though not a bedroom)

it's a 4000 px wide image if you want to click it

attached is the nopost image for comparison 

toothfairynopost.jpg
    2000 x 2057 - 2M
    Post edited by Headwax on

Thank you Bunyip, UnifiedBrain and Headwax for the nice comments. I hope to step it up a notch or two for this challenge since I have a little more spare time these days.

Stezza - "Leon & his cryptid friends"  Nice image. Curious about the lighting - does each of the figures have their own "bounce" light, or is it a texture effect? I see nice colored lighting on the shadow side of the figures but doesn't appear global, more localized and color specific for each figure?
    The background for Leon & Thingee lookin' cool!

sorry @DesertDude I missed this post

thanks for the comments..

the lighting I used was the lighting to life gels for Carrara but I don't think they are in the store anymore... could be wrong though but I can't find them. 

Headwax said:

here's the Tooth Fairy - m1 made his skin transparent so you could see the underlying skeleton - used a bulb to just light the skeleton - littl;e girl in the bed is reused from a Peter Pan render I did a few years ago - (rerendered in a forest though not a bedroom)

it's a 4000 px wide image if you want to click it

attached is the nopost image for comparison 

Nice one !!!

Stezza said:

Stezza - "Leon & his cryptid friends"  Nice image. Curious about the lighting - does each of the figures have their own "bounce" light, or is it a texture effect? I see nice colored lighting on the shadow side of the figures but doesn't appear global, more localized and color specific for each figure?
    The background for Leon & Thingee lookin' cool!

sorry @DesertDude I missed this post

thanks for the comments..

the lighting I used was the lighting to life gels for Carrara but I don't think they are in the store anymore... could be wrong though but I can't find them. 

Lighting 2 Life Light Gels for Carrara ? - https://www.daz3d.com/lighting-2-life-light-gels-for-carrara

thank goodness we have @bunyip02 ... yes

Stezza, UB, Wendy, Desertdude, Headwax, and Bunyip, thanks for the comments on my Cyclops. 

Cool tip on the root and tip hair shaders, Wendy.

Thanks for the link to the light gel product, Bunyip.

Headwax, that is one spooky Tooth Fairy.  All the kids I know would love it!

• CbirdCbird Posts: 493
    edited May 2020

I'm so loving these critters!

@DesertDude, wow, thank you for showing the wing experiments. They bending and posing options from your set up seem like they will be better than most wings out there. You are tempting me to play with feather creation again :-)

@Diomede, your cyclops seems more real with each step. I thought the hair would make him seem less scary, but it doesn't.

@Headwax, all the textures at play in the Toothfairy image are stunning.

@Wendy, thank you for the hair tip! I had wondered about something like that, but didn't know where to start.

Here is the Weheela, or white wolf. Some believe it is simply a very large white wolf, others a dire wolf, and my pick a prehistoric Amphicyon survival. The Amphicyonids are giant bear dogs, some as big as polar bears. I love the whole idea of megafauna. I've used Dog 8 with Rawart's Bear Dog morph, added some of the Dog 8 morphs, and then Carrara fur. I also had a go at combining moonlight and fire light. I played with adding an orange bulb into the center of the fire. The bulb has glow added in the effects tab. Postwork was playing around in Topaz Impressions.

Screenshot 2020-05-15 16.28.01.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    RenderResized.jpg
    848 x 990 - 456K
    MyAmphicyon.jpg
    848 x 990 - 621K
    Post edited by Cbird on
    Cbird said:

@DesertDude, wow, thank you for showing the wing experiments. They bending and posing options from your set up seem like they will be better than most wings out there. You are tempting me to play with feather creation again :-)

@Diomede, your cyclops seems more real with each step. I thought the hair would make him seem less scary, but it doesn't.

@Wendy, thank you for the hair tip! I had wondered about something like that, but didn't know where to start.

Here is the Weheela, or white wolf. Some believe it is simply a very large white wolf, others a dire wolf, and my pick a prehistoric Amphicyon survival. The Amphicyonids are giant bear dogs, some as big as polar bears. I love the whole idea of megafauna. I've used Dog 8 with Rawart's Bear Dog morph, added some of the Dog 8 morphs, and then Carrara fur. I also had a go at combining moonlight and fire light. I played with adding an orange bulb into the center of the fire. The bulb has glow added in the effects tab. Postwork was playing around in Topaz Impressions.

Great action scene !!

Cbird said:

is that a cyclorama that you used?

it really upsets the composition/balance of the great image IMO.. that line ... very weird.. surprise

other than that it's Tom Terrific yes

Thank you, Bunyip.

Stezza, I think you're right. It's actually a terrain with a crater, then one of Dart's textures for the ground. I think I may have created the problem with not having soften the edge on the crater. It's only the moonlight hitting it. 

edited May 2020

As you travel the roads in Australia you will come across 'road kill'

a sad way to go for our native animals... but did you know that the fox is an introduced species, a wirey smarty type of animal to clever to be knocked over by some random truck or car on a road!

It's easy prey however for the notorius drop bear

if you see a fox carcass on the side of the road don't think it was taken out by a car or truck... no... it was taken out by the DROP BEAR and its remains are left on the side of the road to give you the wrong impression... be carefull .... they sneak!

the Drop Bear

DropBear.png
    900 x 675 - 1M
    Post edited by Stezza on

Stezza, I love the fox's classic "what the --" look!

Thank you for the new comments, CBird and Stezza.  

CBird, love the color palette of your mega-dog or dog/bear.  Very intense.  

Stezza, the drop bear is even more sneaky than a fox?  And how clever to place the fox carcases by the road to make it look like someone else did it.

edited May 2020

Sunburn Cyclops!

Here is my latest shader experiment for the Cyclops.  Still focused on experimenting with skin.  Here, I started with Black/White procedural shaders and then used the Baker plugin to generate grayscale texture maps for the whole cyclops.  Then I took the texture maps and used them in a blender to generate a sample diffuse channel.  A reason to bake maps is to edit them.  Ultimately, I intend to augment the maps by using the 3D paint tool on the model and in an image editor, but I thought this experiment was worth reporting.

- Map 1 was intended as a base for an eventual highlight channel map and bump map.  It is based on a spots procedural combined with marble and cell, but the spots dominate.

- Map 2 was intended as a base to supplement the color channel (diffuse).  It is a function of slope (face up toward the sun or down toward the ground).

- In a test of the diffuse effect, I created a blender of a tannish color and a reddish color.  For the blend, I added 50% spot map and 50% slope map.

I hope you see some potential in the result.  

cc01 baker out a grayscale based on spots marble and cells.jpg
    1692 x 995 - 735K
    cc04 baker result for the slope procedurtal.jpg
    1711 x 979 - 153K
    cc06 test render see mixing tannish and reddish pigments for skin sun damage.jpg
    640 x 480 - 12K
    cc05 after baking the maps can reload as maps and blend each 50 percent.jpg
    995 x 879 - 182K