How do you get characters to hold things?

ToobisToobis Posts: 932
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Please tell me how you get a character to grip a prop. I want a woman to be holding a cellphone so when she moves her hand the cellphone moves with it so to stop me repositioning the cellphone in her hand.

ty.

Comments

• hzrhzr Posts: 207
    edited July 2012

In the scene tab just drag your item over hand node. Voila. Of course you need to position the item in her hand manually at first, then drag it there in the scene tab to fix it with the hand rotations. But then it will move when you move the hand.

Post edited by hzr on
  • jmperjmper Posts: 257
    edited July 2012

Don't know what program you use but in Poser, with the object selected.
    Menu>Object>Set Parent

Or set parent from the properties tab.

You will want to select the hand (left or right) to parent it to.

Post edited by jmper on
  • DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

heinz0r said:
    In the scene tab just drag your item over hand node. Voila. Of course you need to position the item in her hand manually at first, then drag it there in the scene tab to fix it with the hand rotations. But then it will move when you move the hand.

I'd parent it to the hand and then position it, personally - I've had some items jump a few centimetres out of place when doing it the other way round.

• mrsparkymrsparky Posts: 248
    edited December 1969

Another way (poser), pose the figure, load the object to be held.
    Now select the object and using the parameter dials.. dial the object into place with the xyz trans.
    Then rotate the object so if fits. Then parent it, though as DWG notes it can 'jump' so check it carefully.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,324
    edited December 1969

The linked set below has a smart propped cellphone. It'll load the phone prop already parented to either V4 or Genesis hand (LH and RH), and the included hand poses position the fingers. The parented prop then follows your characters motions.
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/i-am-on-the-phone/