Can I safely delete .zip archives from this folder?

yaruuvvayaruuvva Posts: 33

[Can I safely delete .zip archives from this folder?] C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\Downloads

I takes more than 20GB and contains files like IM00021750-01_Victoria7.zip

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• mavantemavante Posts: 734
    edited April 2020

There is an option on the DIM "Ready to Install" tab, at the bottom, to delete the zip files after installation, for products installed through DIM. Just click on the check box to turn it on.

I always delete zip files after installation, some of which I do manually, some through DIM—but I also have a backup of my "My Daz 3D Library" folder, where everything gets installed from the zips. It is backed up at least daily, automatically. It has saved my bacon more than once.

I find that a much better option, for me, than keeping all the zips, and then having to re-install them all should disaster strike my "My Daz 3D Libarary" folder. The other benefit, for me, is that having the backup stores all the customizing and "fixes" I've done to my installed content folder, including custom categories, and fixes to broken thumbnail issues in Smart Content. It's also much faster to simply restore from my Time Machine backup than to have to reinstall everything from zips.

Some people elect to keep all the zip files. Those people have a lot more discretionary storage space than I have. I don't know of any reason to keep them (as long as you have a running backup of your content directory or directories), but Your Mileage May Vary.

Post edited by mavante on
  • If you delete the zips, even for products thata re not installed, but leave the matching .dsx file then you will still get update notifications. I would advise keeping a copy of the zips on anexternal drive, though, in case you want to reinstall n an occasion when there is an issue.

• yaruuvvayaruuvva Posts: 33

Thanks for the tip! I moved .zips to another HDD and left .dsx files in place.