Distribute Victoria4 .CR2 file in a commercial product?

XamevaXameva Posts: 19
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hi there,

I was wondering if I'm allowed to distribute the Victoria 4.2.CR2 file in a commercial product? Not the .OBJ, just the .CR2.

I've searched high and low for this information, called DAZ and left a message, and have an open support ticket. Maybe one of you knows though while I wait. :)

I know of the RTEncoder method. But I'd rather save the customer the hassle of having to do that.

Thanks!

Comments

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,846
    edited December 1969

Simple answer is NO, any DAZ or other vender morphs would be included either in the CR2 or if your a Poser user in the PMD, and you can't distribute them in any form that they can be extracted from.

• ArienArien Posts: 195
    edited December 1969

No, you can't. There shouldn't be any reason for you to need to redistribute the base cr2. Although Bejaymac is not fully right about morphs, if the morphs are injectable you wouldn't be redistributing them, just the channels, with V4 Morphs++, Elite, etc should not be included at all in the cr2, but DAZ' own basic morphs (like JCMs, expressions, etc) ARE.

I can't see any reason why you'd need to redistribute the cr2, any mods you'd want to make would be doable either via inj new morphs or with a Pose to change/add things like new JPs.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,850
    edited December 1969

It wouldn't be allowed by the license, and things like ExP were intended to make it unnecessary. If you have a situation where using the CR2 is unavoidable contact DAZ using the IP and Copyright department with an explanation of what you want to do and it might be possible to figure something out.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

From what it sounds like, you may want to use ExP and then the V4 would be updated with your product. You would distribute the ExP files and then customers would update their V4 to add those morphs (there should be an icon on their desktops that will do this for them). It's probably easier to see if you can sell the product through DAZ as they'll create installers that will do this for you.

• wowiewowie Posts: 2,029
    edited December 1969

SInce any CR2 you make is basically a derivative product of DAZ products, like Richard said/wrote, you need to contact them because that's DAZ IP.

I actually did that with Beautiful Bends, which is distributed as a .CR2. So, the short answer that it is possible, but you have to submit them first to DAZ. However, if your product is just morph data, the EXP method is more preferable. With EXP you can make new channels for your morphs, rather than use the available PBMCC and PBMDC channels.

• XamevaXameva Posts: 19
    edited July 2012

wowie said:
    SInce any CR2 you make is basically a derivative product of DAZ products, like Richard said/wrote, you need to contact them because that's DAZ IP.

I actually did that with Beautiful Bends, which is distributed as a .CR2. So, the short answer that it is possible, but you have to submit them first to DAZ. .

PMed you! Yeah I'd be selling at Renderosity, so that may be the difference in not being able to obtain permission. Can't hurt to try though. :D

Post edited by Xameva on