FYI - discovered a pro building(s) freebie, looks modular, link enclosed

Eden EvergreenEden Evergreen Posts: 326
edited April 2020 in Freebies

Disclaimer: I am NOT trying to advertise for these people. This is the only thing of theirs which I've ever tried (I can afford "free"). wink

It's just a 3D freebie construction set that a friend linked, which looks potentially good enough to share. Normally worth $200, it has a coupon code that currently makes it free. (Likely the coupon code won't work, after quarantine is no longer needed.)

Terms seem to be, "Make a positive image."

Explanation link:
https://kitbash3d.com/blogs/news/free-utopia-kit-for-brightartdarktimes

Item link:
https://kitbash3d.com/collections/kits/products/utopia

Hope someone can enjoy it. :)

Edit:

You can pick up "Mini Kit: Post-Apocalypse" also for free (currently).

https://kitbash3d.com/collections/kits/products/mini-kit-post-apocalypse

Just to make sure the other one isn't overlooked. wink

PS - Dear Mods, I truly hope sharing this information is acceptable. In a time of crisis, free items to lift the spirits seem a blessing, regardless of the source. If I'm mistaken, I apologize in advance. blush

Edit: Thanks Mods, for letting this thread remain. smiley

Post edited by Eden Evergreen on

Comments

• StoicStoic Posts: 131

You can pick up "Mini Kit: Post-Apocalypse" also for free (currently).

https://kitbash3d.com/collections/kits/products/mini-kit-post-apocalypse

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807

If you sign up for an account and enter your birthday, then once a year they'll send you a 'present': this year it was a $50 off coupon, which I used to get another of their sets for free.

Be aware that while their kits seem to be high-quality, they can be a little bit of a struggle to use for DAZ users. All the various pieces are delivered as a single file (why, I have no idea). So if you buy, say, one of their building kits, then you'll need to load that file -- which is fairly huge -- and then pick and choose which pieces you actually want to use.

I was able to load the basic OBJ version into DAZ Studio, but if I remember correctly I first had to manually edit the material paths in a text editor to get it to load. A simpler route may be to download the Blender version, then load it all up into Blender and export the elements you want.

That said, a price of $0 for some high-quality models is a pretty good deal.

And if you don't want the models, it's still worth paying a visit to their site, or checking out their Instagram feed for inspiration: some pretty gorgeous art there.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,818

the Apocalypse freebie was difficult enough for me to work with in programs that load separate meshes textured like Carrara and Twinmotion and a right pain untextured in iClone and lots of work in DAZ studio cutting up with the geometry editor as well as loading maps!

I won't gripe as was free bit honestly has put me off even bothering to download this one even though free too devil

• I figure I'll acquire them now, while they're free. If I can figure out how to use them later, great! If not, well ... then at least only time was spent. wink

• ZateticZatetic Posts: 284

Thanks for the heads up. I ordered the Blender versions. The utopia file is 1.2 GB.

Zatetic said:

Thanks for the heads up. I ordered the Blender versions. The utopia file is 1.2 GB.

Pro tip: although they make you choose a particular version when you first 'buy' a kit, if you need other versions you can download them later from your Account page on their site.

• ScallywagScallywag Posts: 20

Thank you, Beautiful looking Model!

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,163

I went with the C4D version, although I should probably put some more time in to learning Blender.

• Eden EvergreenEden Evergreen Posts: 326
    edited March 2020
    Zatetic said:

Pro tip: although they make you choose a particular version when you first 'buy' a kit, if you need other versions you can download them later from your Account page on their site.

Thanks for that information, bytescapes. May come in useful down the road. wink

And everyone is welcome for the "heads up." Hope you all have a DAZ-tastic day! smiley

Post edited by Eden Evergreen on
  • Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,588

This is nice works in everything. Thanks for heads up

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

Thnks, I got the .obj version - need to edit the .mtl files to remove the absolute path names to material fizes and alsgter opacity from 0 up to 100% (in Iray, not tried 3Delight), but look quite good.

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104
    SimonJM said:

Thnks, I got the .obj version - need to edit the .mtl files to remove the absolute path names to material fizes and alsgter opacity from 0 up to 100% (in Iray, not tried 3Delight), but look quite good.

I was also able to split up the Cyber Streets prop set by manually "cutting up" the obj file into separate files (after, as above, editing the path name in the .mtl files).  I have free stuff and paid stuff from them, nice sets for the price, I think.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
    edited March 2020

I bought a couple of sets from them when they had a deep sale at the holidays. What I wound up doing, according to something I sent to someone else, was that I imported the included FBX into Cinema4D, exported that to Collada 1.5 DAE format, then imported that into Studio. The various surfaces were actually at 100% opacity, so I didn't have to remember to turn up the opacity. The buildings retained their individual groups much better--each wall/surface/whatever was grouped under its individual building structure. None of the surfaces had textures, unfortunately, but that was expected.

I only had Cinema4D because they allow a free evaluation period, so I'm not sure if it will still work now. Maxon allows you to uninstall and "give back" the license, so it may be possible to reinstall. We shall see.

Also, note that the sets can be HUUUUUUUUGE. Like individual buildings as big as an entire Urban Sprawl set huge. And a bit heavyweight in the workspace as well, if you don't have a fair amount of RAM.

That said, for what it's worth, the Utopia download is tiny compared to Post Apocalypse. The FBX format is 162MB for Utopia and 1.7GB for Post Apocalypse.

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • 1gecko1gecko Posts: 307

BEAUTIFUL!! Thank you for the info and link!!

... I am lusting over the space ships atm =) !!  Need to get my rig fixed so I can actually make USE of it though...

• dennisgray41dennisgray41 Posts: 748
    edited April 2020

Did I miss a discount code? It says $199. That's more than free.

Found it.

Post edited by dennisgray41 on

Did I miss a discount code? It says $199. That's more than free.

The discount code is 'brightartdarktimes'.

In return, they ask you to post images that you make using their kit on appropriate social media with the hashtag #brightartdarktimes. See their explanation page for more info.

• If you sign up for an account and enter your birthday, then once a year they'll send you a 'present': this year it was a $50 off coupon, which I used to get another of their sets for free.

They didn't ask for my birthday which sucks, because it is in 3 weeks. (hint hint)

If you sign up for an account and enter your birthday, then once a year they'll send you a 'present': this year it was a $50 off coupon, which I used to get another of their sets for free.

They didn't ask for my birthday which sucks, because it is in 3 weeks. (hint hint)

I'm not getting you a present this year, no matter how many hints you drop. Sorry.

I don't remember how or when they asked for mine. I don't think it was during the signup itself, and there's no way to enter it through the 'Account' page, so it was probably in a follow-up email after I created my account. They'll probably mail you with various special offers from time to time. Just make sure to check anything they send you before tossing it in the trash, so you don't miss any chances to let them know the date of your birthday.

• WolfwoodWolfwood Posts: 675

Some time after you register you will recieve a welcome message. (I think you need to also grab the free Post Apocalipse kit too to trigger this).  In there they ask for your birthday.

• Wolfwood said:

Some time after you register you will recieve a welcome message. (I think you need to also grab the free Post Apocalipse kit too to trigger this).  In there they ask for your birthday.

Thanks, I got the kit and the email. Haven't opened it yet. How does this look? Fromthe post apocalipse kit.

A run for safety 3.png
    1200 x 1200 - 2M
  • GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104
    Wolfwood said:

Thanks, I got the kit and the email. Haven't opened it yet. How does this look? Fromthe post apocalipse kit.

Looks good!

• lukon100lukon100 Posts: 761
    edited April 2020

How do I separare the buildings? I loaded the array of like 30 buildings into blender 2.79. I don't know how to easily select just 1 of the buildings and make of it a separate file. I thought Blender would select all of a building's parts if I lasso select the building in object mode. But that doesn't seem to be the case. I can only select either all 30 buildings, or just 1 part of 1 building.

Post edited by lukon100 on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,818

honestly it is easier to separate the buildings in DAZ studio lassooing with the geometry editor

just more work than I would care to do buying a set

free was annoying and having to load all the maps but free is freeyes

• UnseenUnseen Posts: 606
    edited April 2020

Thank you very very much for the links.

Post edited by Unseen on