who else came to Carrara from Poser / Vue? ;0

reminiscing over old poser renders i been meaning to redo in carrara one day.

looking back at my ds renders, they mostly ds 4.0

i stopped rendering with ds at ver 4.7, never took to the 4.8

i gave up on poser at pp2012. dunno how they went from ppro2012 to poser 11?
i gave up on maya at v 5 and 3ds6, didnt want to buy the upgrades

old poser

od ds.40/3dl

Comments

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,191

I switched from Poser to Carrara many years ago, when I learned that Carrara can seamlessly load Poser content directly from its browser, and more importantly can handle large animated scenes much better than Poser.  I still use Vue and Poser, but generally only for content that won't work in Carrara.  E.g. ERC items in Poser, and "locked" purchased items in VUE.  But 95+% of my animation work is in Carrara.  I do not use DS, and gave up trying to get DS content into Carrara.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited March 2020

came from anim8or after I got Carrara 5 on a disc ? it was a pleasure noyt having to model all my own stuff any more and have access to Ik

Post edited by Headwax on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,821
    Headwax said:

came from anim8or after I got Carrara 5 on a disc ?

...and I came from iClone 3 devil after I got Carrara 5 on a magazine disc

but Mystiarra didn't ask about us stragglers cheeky

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    Headwax said:

came from anim8or after I got Carrara 5 on a disc ?

...and I came from iClone 3 devil after I got Carrara 5 on a magazine disc

but Mystiarra didn't ask about us stragglers cheeky

oh I just like to butt in occasionally :)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,081

I've had Poser since Poser 2.  Frankly, I never did many final renders with it, just like I don't do many renders with Carrara now.  My entries in the Carrara Challenge, Studio New Users Challenge, Lola's music and poetry thread, and the Bryce Challenge probably make up 95%+ of my lifetime renders.

At my old full time job, I did used to throw together a Poser or Carrara rough draft and give it to our graphics folks so they could fix it up for a presentation slide or publication graphic.  But I never had to get it looking nice, just convey the essential elements to the real graphic artists.  If I was teaching a class, occasionally I'd put something together for a presentation slide.

I wonder if that is why I was never particularly interested in photo-realism?  Something closer to clip-art was usually a better fit.

RE: subject matter - I assume that viewers in a Carrara Challenge, etc. are not particularly interested in a flow chart of securitized peer-to-peer lending laws.  However, if I can disguise that background, I know people would like a comic book / space opera of Brash and Moxie confronting the issues caused by securitized peer-to-peer lending.  laugh

• BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 791

I started with a product called Swivel3D in the late 1980's. It was in black and white (not even grey scale). I graduated to Infini-D and then Carrara after that. I think I had Carrara 1.0 originally. At some point I also used Showplace from Pixar. 

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited March 2020

it was fun to watch the p4 renderer when i got my 1st pentium.  render starts at the bottom. laugh

my 1st carrara was 6, i think.  i remember my 1st ca  didnt have png option

Post edited by Mistara on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,699
    edited March 2020

Started my 3D journey with Gmax, FSDS, 3DCanvas & Lightray3D. Playing with E-dolls was a late starter with Poser 9, then DAZ Studio 4. Eventually settled for Carrara 8.5 and have not looked back !!!!

Post edited by Bunyip02 on