Hexagon Bend on X axis

Lobo3433Lobo3433 Posts: 30
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Been working on a simple project to re-familiarize myself with Hexagon and this is something I know was able to do but for some reason when attempting to bend on the X-axis the tool bend in any other direction except the X-axis. I have tried aborting re-trying; restarting application even tried doing the same in both the 2.5 and 2.5.1.79. There are certain things that are a bit easier to do than in my other 3D apps so any help or suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Hi there :)

I take it you are referring to the bend tool and not bending using a polyline?

It is pretty confusing - I've worked out an explanation for myself - not to be take as Gospel and open to correction!

There is a difference between bending IN an axis, bending AROUND an axis and bending ALONG an axis..

With that tool, if you, say, want to bend an upright cylinder right to left, you use the Y axis tool - this is because you are bending ALONG the Y and IN the X axis.

...and so forth!

Hope this makes sense to you :)

• Lobo3433Lobo3433 Posts: 30
    edited December 1969

I was following one of johnnybevo old tutorials on making a column and I did it once before and even in the video he has trouble getting the Bend tool to bend along the X-axis and after several tries he gets it but I tried so many times and it just would not bend right. This is the tutorial on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gl3k3ZL-wI#aid=P5ZWYEZM9qA the problem he experinces with the tool is at like 8 minutes 30seconds into the tutorial. I am just refreshing myself and wanted to make up a library of my own made props for practice and this one that like to complete again.

edited December 1969

I know that tut - a very clever method of making a column. I miss Johnny and his innovative methods around here.

Must point out, though, he wasn't struggling to make it work, he was just using it incorrectly in the beginning until he corrected himself :)

Couple of hints if you are going to do something like that - bevel the inside edges before replicating and, at the finish, dissolve every second edge on the top after welding all into one point - that will give you all quads.

This is no criticism of Johnny's method, just adding something he would have put in himself, had he thought of it at the time :)

• ben98120000ben98120000 Posts: 469
    edited December 1969

Bend tool (bender deformer from utilities menu) can produce different results depending on which plane was active when you do the bend. Notice different results on the pictures although same bend was used in both, but the active plane is different (shown on the little icon in the lower left corner).

Clip_8.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 444K
    Clip_7.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 444K
    edited December 1969

That is true - you need to have the right angle of view to get the result you want!

It doesn't have many options to work on with a solid structure without much geometry, but can do some pretty useful things with a plane with lots of geometry :)

bender.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 213K
    edited December 1969

Well I still had to do it several times moving camera view and double checking the active plane and seems I got it but it wasn't simple was like line up the view just right and then double check the active plane. Thank you both for your help and input. Really still like Hexagon but uuuggghh sometimes it can be wonky

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited December 1969

Like Roygee I miss Johnny B. around here, he had a great approach to making things with Hexagon. Where I think he went wrong with the bend tool is having the right viewing angle, if he was more upright (looking down on the object from above (top view)) it would of bent first time.

Hexagon does have its quirks, but I still enjoy using it :)

edited December 1969

Show me one piece of software that doesn't have its quirks :)

edited December 1969

Yes it has its quirks but still a useful tool to have in your workflow. Just wish it was still in development and not laid out to pasture as it has been