adding Bioluminescence to skin materials.

genejokegenejoke Posts: 128
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

what I'm aiming to do is create glowing tattoos on characters, is there a good way to do this so it emits light? IAny help would be very helpful right now.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,346
    edited December 1969

If you want it to emit light, and to have a regular skin texture elsewhere, your best bet may be to create a Geometry Shell (Create>New Geometry Shell, with the figure selected) and then apply uberArea to that to make it a light emitter, then use the tattoo texture as a mask to control the light so that only the tattoos are glowing and the rest of the shell is invisible, allowing the regular skin to be seen.

• LuckBeLuckBe Posts: 93
    edited December 1969

I second the suggestion to use a geoshell- I don't know what I'd do without them! It's great to be able to have something over your character's skin, but with completely different surface settings from what's beneath it.

• genejokegenejoke Posts: 128
    edited December 1969

never used one before but looks to be the solution, but a bit draining on cpu when i have a busy scene. still i done need the skin emitting light in every scene,

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,460
    edited December 1969

Point lights could work efficiently.

• ChromaDrakeChromaDrake Posts: 288
    edited December 1969

I wanted to link a very nice and easy method posted by Crimsonight over on Deviant Art.

http://crimsonight.deviantart.com/art/Glowing-Tattoos-Tutorial-for-DAZ-Studio-483509493

However, while this works for 3Delight, I could not seem to get it to work for IRAY. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this method work for IRAY?

edited December 1969

For Iray- Step 6 and 7 should be in the Emission channels.

• ChromaDrakeChromaDrake Posts: 288
    edited December 1969

marshian said:
    For Iray- Step 6 and 7 should be in the Emission channels.

Really, that's it? Cool! Thank you very much, I'll give this a try :) :)
  • cdpro_2831bbd990cdpro_2831bbd990 Posts: 1,430

Hey, I'm trying the geometry shell method.  The emissive tattoo works well.  However, my geoshell shows up as a dark shadow on the leg.  Is there a setting that I'm missing?  Is it my mask that is causing the problem?

might need to see a render but my guess is that you need to create a mask that hides every part of the shell but the tattoo and/or change the shell offset (in parameters tab) to something much closer to the surface of the skin. Either way this should be a quick fix and something you may be able to check in the main viewport even before rendering a test in aux viewport.