The "Dial Them Out" Thread

lana_lasslana_lass Posts: 518
edited March 2020 in The Commons

Hey all!

So, if it's cool with the mods, I thought it might be good to start a thread where people who do not own a certain Daz Original core figure (Josephene 8, Michael 8, etc) but are interested in a PA figure who is "for" that core figure can request images of what the figure looks like with the Daz original dialed out, e.g what will the figure look like if purchased without owning the DO.  Also, it can be a place where people who enjoy experimenting with rendering such characters can post and share their creations :) 

I'll start us off with a request: can anyone post a render of today's new SASE Karma for Josephene 8 with Josephene 8 dialed out? I'm interesting in the figure but don't own Josephene 8 :)

Post edited by lana_lass on

Comments

• mr clammr clam Posts: 707
    edited March 2020

I don't have Josephene, but Karma looks fine w/o her. 

karma.png
    1650 x 1650 - 3M
    Post edited by mr clam on
  • This thread is a fantastic idea, @lana_lass! Occasionally PAs will include something like this in their promo pics, and it has made the difference between "buy" and "don't buy" more than once for me. It seems like a great way to broaden a figure's sale base, so I've never understood why more of them don't do it.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740

I've found that most PA characters look perfectly fine without the base, just more generic. They don't have the quirky thing that makes them more interesting but sometimes they even look better depending on how extreme the DO morph is. In this case, Karma without Josephene looks to me just like a typical G2 character. Very pretty but more like a cute fairy character whereas Josephene gives her a bit more personality.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,571

...curious about Sara for Teen Jane 

• lana_lass said:

Hey all!

So, if it's cool with the mods, I thought it might be good to start a thread where people who do not own a certain Daz Original core figure (Josephene 8, Michael 8, etc) but are interested in a PA figure who is "for" that core figure can request images of what the figure looks like with the Daz original dialed out, e.g what will the figure look like if purchased without owning the DO.  Also, it can be a place where people who enjoy experimenting with rendering such characters can post and share their creations :) 

I'll start us off with a request: can anyone post a render of today's new SASE Karma for Josephene 8 with Josephene 8 dialed out? I'm interesting in the figure but don't own Josephene 8 :)

If I remember correctly, I think that PA mostly makes G8F teen characters over on Renderosity. They must be selling like hotcakes because pretty much every week I see a new one released.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    edited March 2020
    kyoto kid said:

Quicky render of Sara without Teen Jane.

G8F - Sara wo Teen Jane.png
    1000 x 1300 - 998K
    Post edited by 3Diva on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Looks good

edited March 2020

...thank you. looks fine. .

I really like her face shape along with the fact she has a more fair skin, thicker eyebrows, and an option for freckles.  As in the promos, she is perfect for character with red hair. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,556

I think the take-away of this is, it's ok to go ahead and buy whatever characters look good, even if they're supposed to be for some particular DO. Excellent! :)

Do any of the DOs have different/unique UV-mapping?

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,648
    edited March 2020
    Torquinox said:

Not the g8 characters. G3 does, and G2 I think.

Post edited by zombietaggerung on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,731
    Torquinox said:

I think the take-away of this is, it's ok to go ahead and buy whatever characters look good, even if they're supposed to be for some particular DO. Excellent! :)

I don't recall any characters I've bought that have looked bad without their "required' base character. 

Torquinox said:

Not the g8 characters. G3 does, and G2 I think.

...some poses for G3 are like that as well. I have several pose sets that have separate sub-categories for different base character figures like:  Vicky7,  Aiko7  Josie7 and G3F. 

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,771

^ There absolutely are add-on characters that don't look good without the base. Brandon for Dwayne and Maxx for The Brute, if I remember correctly. Azumi for Aiko 5.

Other characters may not look bad per se without the base, but they lose that special something that makes them worth buying to begin with.

Thanks all for answers yes

• edited March 2020
    kyoto kid said:

Quicky render of Sara without Teen Jane.

Aiiih!!!  Thank you for that!  I had already purchased Sara as a Cutesy Teenager, but I hadn't even considered something like this!  What a difference, and much more true to life.  I can forsee multiple renders in the future!

Post edited by davidwski_16294691f0 on
    Hylas said:

^ There absolutely are add-on characters that don't look good without the base. Brandon for Dwayne and Maxx for The Brute, if I remember correctly. Azumi for Aiko 5.

Other characters may not look bad per se without the base, but they lose that special something that makes them worth buying to begin with.

A matter of taste I think - there are probably some who like an add-on better without the base than with.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Actually Roderick without Diego 8's nose is a bit to hard edged and flat on the bridge, still looks good without a closeup of the nose though.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301
    Taoz said:
    Hylas said:

A matter of taste I think - there are probably some who like an add-on better without the base than with.

Yeah, but if you're trying to decide whether to buy a character with the intention of using it without the intended base figure, it would be nice to know what to expect.  Some PAs vendors do show their characters in a promo with just the Genesis model, and that's very helpful.

Sevrin said:
    Taoz said:
    Hylas said:

Yeah, but if you're trying to decide whether to buy a character with the intention of using it without the intended base figure, it would be nice to know what to expect.  Some PAs vendors do show their characters in a promo with just the Genesis model, and that's very helpful.

Sure, it's a useful thread indeed

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750
    Hylas said:

For me Maxx without The Brute looks quite okay. To achieve that more brutish look one can just dial in some Bodybuilder morphs (G8M Body Morph set) and those that give him a slightly more "plumb" figure...

Sometimes it's just to find a) a figure similiar to the "needed" base or b) find the generic morphs to achieve a close look to what the figure is supposed to look like.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited March 2020
    Torquinox said:

G8 standard ones no

can't recall if a few G3 did or not; but a lot of G2 did.

I think that only the G3 Official characters had distinct UVs; there was either one or two instances where they didn't, and had default UVs.

It is straightforward to convert non-default UVs to default using the tool within studio.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893
    edited March 2020

This is Zelie without Kaylee. She looks alright, but not like a teenager anymore. I like her, though. Since I bought her on sale only for her materials, I've never used her actual morph for anything.

Click on this to see her with Josie 8 50% dialed in as a substitute for Kaylee.

Post edited by WinterMoon on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,702

This is Zelie without Kaylee. She looks alright, but not like a teenager anymore. I like her, though. Since I bought her on sale only for her materials, I've never used her actual morph for anything.

Click on this to see her with Josie 8 50% dialed in as a substitute for Kaylee.

She looks like an 80's kid or 90's teen in 2020. Older but still cool.  Missing part of the old days, but probably stuck at home and waiting for everything to calm down.

Got Jessi HD for Josephene 8 yesterday, here she is without Josephene.  Eyes do not look quite right.

jessi_hd_for_josephene_8_1.png
    798 x 921 - 282K
    jessi_hd_for_josephene_8_2.png
    798 x 921 - 730K
  • DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621
    edited March 2020
    Taoz said:

Got Jessi HD for Josephene 8 yesterday, here she is without Josephene.  Eyes do not look quite right.

Hmmm Thank you for this @Taoz, I had a request up to see her without Josephene and Nylongirl did an image for me which is great but you cant really see the eye issue in hers because of the darker image/skin tone/distance.

Post edited by Daventaki on
  • WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893

She looks like an 80's kid or 90's teen in 2020. Older but still cool.  Missing part of the old days, but probably stuck at home and waiting for everything to calm down.

Kind of like me! (And maybe you as well?)

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,702

Kind of like me! (And maybe you as well?)

True, as I was born in the 80's.  Here is a photo of me from taken from my computer's webcam.

WIN_20200328_15_27_31_Pro.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 165K
    edited March 2020
    Hylas said:

You know what, I went back to check and I have to take back what I said about Brandon. He does look alright without Dwayne. Not quite ready for use, but with a bit of dial spinning and experimenting you can make him work just fine.

Here's Brandon out of the box without Dwayne:

And here he is with some none-Dwayne stuff dialled in:
    60% Harrison (head), 20% Hercules (head), 15% Atlas (head & body), 8% Samson (body), plus a bunch of smaller tweaks

brandon01.png
    518 x 690 - 258K
    brandon02.png
    518 x 690 - 391K
    brandon03.png
    518 x 690 - 271K
    brandon04.png
    518 x 690 - 409K
    Post edited by Hylas on

Speaking of boys with hangdog eyes, can someone give me Joel without Landon?