Help Filling In The Dots ( A discussion about booleans, domains and sending to Daz Studio)

2»

Comments

• cris333cris333 Posts: 107
    edited December 1969

I know, this is hexagon area not Bryce but ive made something for u in Bryce :-)
    Oh and do you really need flat dots ? why don't you try with holes like ppl posted :)
    Here is the scene in case you need it , perhaps convert the boolean as mesh in bryce and save as obj
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/63624/browse/5/3D-Model/Boolean-Domino-for-Bryce
    Ihave a tutorial for booleans but for Bryce again..
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/63140/browse/3/PDF-Tutorial/Bryce-Tutorial-1---Basic-and-Complex-Booleans
    hope it helps somehow :) Good luck

Boolean-Domino-Wireframe.jpg
    952 x 536 - 439K
    Boolean-Domino-for-Bryce.jpg
    950 x 534 - 335K
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited July 2012

Thank you for posting this Chris.

That brings up a good question, how well does Bryce handle converting booleans to mesh? I might have to re-familiarize myself with Bryce if it does handle this well.

Many people might not realize if they don't work in Bryce that booleans are used a lot in it, and mostly because Bryce is somewhat more capable of handling them than many other packages from what I remember.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited July 2012

Some nice bones there Cris, isn't Bryce a fun tool for stuff like that, loving the material, the Daleks would be proud :) great stuff.

Post edited by TapiocaTundra on
  • cris333cris333 Posts: 107
    edited July 2012

Gedd said:
    Thank you for posting this Chris.

That brings up a good question, how well does Bryce handle converting booleans to mesh? I might have to re-familiarize myself with Bryce if it does handle this well.

Many people might not realize if they don't work in Bryce that booleans are used a lot in it, and mostly because Bryce is somewhat more capable of handling them than many other packages from what I remember.

Youre welcome , thank you for feedback.Well i didn't converted into a mesh and saved as obj to many times, also didnt tested to see how it works with Daz or even Hexagon but i made again a test and here are posted the screenshots.I don't know very well Hexagon but i can recommend for simple modelling with boolean use Bryce.

Some nice bones there Cris, isn't Bryce a fun tool for stuff like that, loving the material, the Daleks would be proud :) great stuff.

Thanks for feedback.Yes Bryce its easy and fun to play with booleans specially when you know the basics.Again i recommend to do a boolean first in Bryce and export it ,if its a simple one.
    Lol.. Daleks :-) Hope i wont upset Dr Who , im a big fan of Dr.Who :-)
    EDIT:If you really need flat colored surface shaped as primitives , flatten the spheres and see the result on rendering

DominoRenderwithredobj.jpg
    950 x 534 - 345K
    Domino2.jpg
    957 x 532 - 248K
    Domino1.jpg
    922 x 514 - 221K
    Post edited by cris333 on
    edited July 2012

v'n, ty. The resulting mesh looks pretty clean from what I can see. It's pretty detailed for a single domino, but not when one considers this domino is really for extreme closeup work. It would be easy enough to reduce the poly count if one didn't need that much detail or chose to use smoothing (taking into account methods to keep crisp edges if using smoothing.)

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

The things is that Bryce works very differently to poly modellers - the Boolean operation is the only modelling method. There is no mesh and the Boolean works by a negative "mesh" subtracting from a positive "mesh" - basically making the parts where it intersects invisible to the render. The two "meshes" never integrate into one and the process is reversible at any point. There is no mesh structure to consider, so the product is very clean.

However, this only works within Bryce - it has to be converted to a mesh to be used outside of Bryce and in the conversion, the same problems confronting poly modellers crops up. Long thin tri's converging on corners in a pole - useless for smoothing, chamfering, etc. Just as a test, I converted one of the dies to mesh and imported into Hex - 19K polys.

Something I have just come across in Blender, which makes Boolean operations so much more appealing is a relatively new innovation named "Remeshing". This converts any mesh mess into clean quads at the click of a button.

I'm only just scratching the surface of Blender - the more I see, the more I'm inclined to step over to the dark side.

edited December 1969

Yes, this is one of my interests, finding a good boolean tool with some way to convert it to a good mesh at some point. That has been a goal I've had for *many* years. Speed of booleans for quick basic shape, convert to poly, and fine tune the base mesh, add details in a program like zbrush, 3d coat, etc..

edited December 1969

Have you tried Meshmixer Gedd ?, its fun, freaky and free and works on those lines. Autodesk have just updated it. :)

http://www.meshmixer.com/index.html

edited December 1969

First time I've seen it, I'll check it out, thanks :)

edited December 1969

I have come to the next learning curve.

At the moment I am trying to understand the way Daz Studio smooths objects on import, it seems that everything is defaulted to 89.9%, I am forever having to switch it down to around 45% in the surfaces tab.
    And even after re-building in hex I have had to strip it down removing loops etc. Maybe I am over doing it?

I have not usually had to make a mesh less detailed to make it look smooth before :)
    wondered if anyone has had a similar experience?

edited December 1969

Btw, I checked out Meshmixer... that looks great! I have to take time to play with it now :)

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Some before and after pics, from both apps - the Hex ones in wireframe - would help in identifying possible issues