Nvidia Studio Driver?

RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,181
edited March 2020 in Daz Studio Discussion

I am seeing a list of applications that are "optimized" to run with Nvidia Studio Driver and I am not seeing DAZ Studio listed.

I am wondering, if this Nvidia Studio driver is not optimizing DAZ Studio render routines, maybe I am better off with the straight up Nvidia Game Ready driver?

I don't think DAZ Studio is fully compatible with the Nvidia Studio driver...

My projects are sometimes rendering and sometiems freezing up my PC but only part of the time.

Any advice on this would be great, I plan to switch to the Game Ready driver and test that out.

I will let you know if my problem is fixed.

Post edited by RexRed on

Comments

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,181
    edited March 2020

I found out why my renders were freezing up.

I had too big of an HDRI sky loaded into my scene.

If I need the sunlight and not the sky itself then it is better to use a distant light and turn the dome off and go scene only.

As for the Nvidia drivers, it would be nice to know which one works better with DAZ Studio. I am assuming the Nvidia Studio driver would be better but that is just a guess..

Post edited by RexRed on
  • RexRed said:

I am seeing a list of applications that are "optimized" to run with Nvidia Studio Driver and I am not seeing DAZ Studio listed.

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverresults.aspx/147971/en-us

Applications
    Provides the optimal experience for the latest releases of top creative apps, including Autodesk Maya 2019, 3ds Max 2020, Arnold 5.3.1.0, Blackmagic Design DaVinci Resolve 16, and Daz 3D Daz Studio.

RexRed said:

I am wondering, if this Nvidia Studio driver is not optimizing DAZ Studio render routines, maybe I am better off with the straight up Nvidia Game Ready driver?

My projects are sometimes rendering and sometiems freezing up my PC but only part of the time.

Any advice on this would be great, I plan to switch to the Game Ready driver and test that out.

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,181
    edited March 2020
    RexRed said:

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverresults.aspx/147971/en-us

Applications
    Provides the optimal experience for the latest releases of top creative apps, including Autodesk Maya 2019, 3ds Max 2020, Arnold 5.3.1.0, Blackmagic Design DaVinci Resolve 16, and Daz 3D Daz Studio.

RexRed said:

I didn't see Daz Studio listed, I must be blind... that is awesome to know! Thank you Richard! I play a lot of games and stream them in 4k on YouTube but I will still definitly have the Nvidia Studio driver loaded now that I know this.

Post edited by RexRed on
  • nategovannategovan Posts: 35

Hi, this is good news. I would be interested if @Richard Haseltine could point towards any example processes where the Studio driver would outperform the standard game driver. Eg, what is the real workflow benefit?

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,473

If you are using Windows 7, there are no studio drivers. I use 456.38 as they are newer than the minimum required and haven't noticed any problems with them.

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,928

dangarfielduk said:

Hi, this is good news. I would be interested if @Richard Haseltine could point towards any example processes where the Studio driver would outperform the standard game driver. Eg, what is the real workflow benefit?

Studio drivers no longer mention Daz Studio specifically, but if you use any of the following programs it works much better than game-ready drivers as studio drivers have a much more robust and extensive development period than game-ready drivers, I would prefer solid confirmation of DS support and not rely on assumptions...

Applications

The July NVIDIA Studio Driver provides optimal support for the latest creative applications including Unreal Engine 4.27, Unity 2021.2 Beta, Enscape 3.1, Marmoset Toolbag 4.03, Pixar RenderMan 24, Topaz Video Enhance AI, Discord, and NVIDIA Omniverse.

I personally use Topaz's Video Enhance AI as that is an invaluable tool for video augmentation/restoration!

• RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751
    edited July 2021

As I understand it there's actually no difference between the two drivers.  It isn't one "optimised" for some things and the other not.  The studio drivers just get fewer updates because they don't include the absolutely latest gaming fixes and optimisations (which get included for day 0 with big AAA studio game releases).  By the way, there's an old thread posted by a guy who used to work at NVIDIA on drivers, on Gamedev.  As a dev myself I was sweating whilst reading it.  It's a fascinating insight into what goes on under the hood.

Of course these days unlike back then, most games use one or other of the big engines, like Unreal or Unity (or CryEng), which don't make the dumb mistakes studios used to.

Post edited by Robinson on
  • StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,161

I started using Studio drivers a few weeks ago, haven't really noticed a big difference with using 3dsmax but when using Daz Studio I've noticed it only lists two of my GPU's, the two 3090's..with the other nvidia drivers DazStudio would list the 3090's and the two Titans

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I used to use the studio drivers exclusively but now do not. 

I do have to make sure Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling is on:

Settings>system>Display>Graphics Settings>Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling

Otherwise, Studio does not use GPU

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,928

Robinson said:

As I understand it there's actually no difference between the two drivers. 

*snip

There is a big difference between the two considering which software you're using, for games, no, there's no big difference, but for video editing programs like Topaz's  Video enhancer AI the difference is night and day, as in it will not work properly with the game drivers at all!

• RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751

takezo_3001 said:

Robinson said:

As I understand it there's actually no difference between the two drivers. 

*snip

There is a big difference between the two considering which software you're using, for games, no, there's no big difference, but for video editing programs like Topaz's  Video enhancer AI the difference is night and day, as in it will not work properly with the game drivers at all!

I've used Topaz with Game Ready drivers and I've seen people complain about Studio drivers not working with it.  It's just a question of which version of the driver you're using.  It's not unusual for new drivers to break existing software, especially CUDA updates for new hardware.

• Serene Night said:

• Serene Night said:

Do you mind telling me where the Setting>System....is located?

• odysseyowl said:

Serene Night said:

Do you mind telling me where the Setting>System....is located?

On Windows PC, navigate to your Control Panel --> System and Security --> System 

• coralyncoralyn Posts: 46

I have a pretty beefy system, and changing from an old NVIDA with 180 CUDA cores to my current one with thousands made a huge difference (45 min renders now are 1-2 minutes).

I do not think you can 'trust' the NVIDA report, because it is not a list of which apps make use of NVIDA API, but of apps which NVIDA had a hand in supporting (aka: marketing value? were paid to 'test'?). In my case, the only 'optimized app' reported by my NVIDA system is some small online game client I play once in a while, which I never imaged cared about FPS :-). Likely it is similar to a local 'chamber-of-commerce' who mange lists of companies which pay them fees & agree to some rules - the list can be useful, but you have to remember it is list derived from different criteria than your own.