GYN-02 - Does Daz not have Quality Control?

Pantros2Pantros2 Posts: 74

Why did GYN-02 install create a new "CHARACTER" folder in my content library?

Shouldn't this kind of amateur error be easy to catch?

The worst part is GYN-02 is CLOTHING and shapes, not character at all

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• Pantros2Pantros2 Posts: 74
    edited February 2020

Post edited by Pantros2 on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026
    Pantros2 said:

The worst part is GYN-02 is CLOTHING and shapes, not character at all

What's Included and Features

• GYN-02 for Genesis 8 Female(s) (.DUF)
    • Preload sets:
      • 2 Complete Characters + Geo-Shells
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,563
    Pantros2 said:

Why did GYN-02 install create a new "CHARACTER" folder in my content library?

Shouldn't this kind of amateur error be easy to catch?

yep, did the same thing with LECS is the main reason i stopped buying from that PA

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited February 2020

from the readme    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/67483/start

Not all installation packages provide files that are displayed to the user within the interface of an application. The packages listed below, do. The application(s), and the location(s) within each application, are shown below.
    GYN-02 for Genesis 8 Female(s) (Core)
    • You can find new icons for loading this product in the following DAZ Studio Folders:
      • “People:Genesis 8 Female:Character:GYN-02”
      • “People:Genesis 8 Female:Character:GYN-02:Full Base Figure”
      • “People:Genesis 8 Female:Character:GYN-02:Materials”
      • “People:Genesis 8 Female:Character:GYN-02:Shells Load With Morphs”
      • “People:Genesis 8 Female:Character:GYN-02:Shells Load Without Morphs”
    • You can find new icons for this product in the following DAZ Studio Categories:
      • “Figures:People:Female:Fantasy SciFi”
      • “Materials:Iray:Wardrobe”
      • “Shaping:Apply”
      • “Shaping:Remove”
      • “Wardrobe:Footwear”
      • “Wardrobe:Full-Body”
      • “Wardrobe:Headwear”
      • “Wardrobe:Outfits”
    Additional Details

Post edited by Chohole on

The file listing is very useful, but it also shows that the PA created a new folder called CHARACTER instead of using the CHARACTERS folder like every other PA

• docbotherdocbother Posts: 106

I am shocked! SHOCKED!! to find inconsistant directory/class heirarchy in Daz Studio or Poser content!

This PA did the same with Alien Queen. That said, I don't think this is so much a quality issue with the product itself as it is with organizing it for delivery.

I think many would agree that this is a problem so old and persistant that it doesn't even register as a problem anymore, just an annoying fact of life.

I point this out not to disagree so much with the OP, but to dispell an implication that this vender does shoddy work.  Directory structure issues aside, his Alien Queen went far beyond what one finds in most characters, not just in sculpting but also in the innovations used to create the the material shaders.

docbother said:

I am shocked! SHOCKED!! to find inconsistant directory/class heirarchy in Daz Studio or Poser content!

This PA did the same with Alien Queen. That said, I don't think this is so much a quality issue with the product itself as it is with organizing it for delivery.

I think many would agree that this is a problem so old and persistant that it doesn't even register as a problem anymore, just an annoying fact of life.

I point this out not to disagree so much with the OP, but to dispell an implication that this vender does shoddy work.  Directory structure issues aside, his Alien Queen went far beyond what one finds in most characters, not just in sculpting but also in the innovations used to create the the material shaders.

true, this has been going on for awhile, especially in the poser community, but it has gotten way better since then. I feel this is more of a Q&A deal more than anything since they should have caught this and made the PA place their files where everyone else places them.

I do agree that this PA does quality work, but that shouldn't give them a pass on this. Luckily as Chohole pointed out, you can view the readme before hand to see where the files are placed and why i stopped purchasing from them.

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,757

it also shows that the PA created a new folder called CHARACTER instead of using the CHARACTERS folder like every other PA

That was being generous. lol

Lots, well....many Vendors forget the EXACT name of the install folder(s). It's easy to happen. I always have a texture and textureS. Whatever word *could* have an S at the end is always listed twice, with both variations.

Material/Materials - that kind of stuff.

Some vendors have different names, sometimes the products install to a new directory- some props under props, some not.

Sometimes PEOPLE sometimes FIGURES...and sometimes....

Long as it works, I'm good.

A minor issue - compared to some of the other stuff that happens ...on purpose.

I have a gun and holster set. One is listed as a PROP and one is listed as an empty Accessory. Accessory thumbnail has the holster WITHOUT the GUN, but it loads a single item with the gun welded in, so there's no way to remove the gun from the holster. No drop down arrows/menus and the different surfaces ignore all the adjustments.

Opacity doesn't remove it and deleting anything makes the whole holster disappear. It's iray but the texture is all one piece, wood and metal, done with a single image.

I ended up adding a different shader and then using opacity to fake it.

• Silent WinterSilent Winter Posts: 3,635

it also shows that the PA created a new folder called CHARACTER instead of using the CHARACTERS folder like every other PA

That was being generous. lol

Lots, well....many Vendors forget the EXACT name of the install folder(s). It's easy to happen. I always have a texture and textureS. Whatever word *could* have an S at the end is always listed twice, with both variations.

Material/Materials - that kind of stuff.

Some vendors have different names, sometimes the products install to a new directory- some props under props, some not.

Sometimes PEOPLE sometimes FIGURES...and sometimes....

Long as it works, I'm good.

A minor issue - compared to some of the other stuff that happens ...on purpose.

I have a gun and holster set. One is listed as a PROP and one is listed as an empty Accessory. Accessory thumbnail has the holster WITHOUT the GUN, but it loads a single item with the gun welded in, so there's no way to remove the gun from the holster. No drop down arrows/menus and the different surfaces ignore all the adjustments.

Opacity doesn't remove it and deleting anything makes the whole holster disappear. It's iray but the texture is all one piece, wood and metal, done with a single image.

I ended up adding a different shader and then using opacity to fake it.

In that case I'd use the geometry editor to remove the polys (unless the holster doesn't have polys where the gun is, but then even opacity wouldn't help) and then resave it as a scene-subset for future use.

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,757

Good suggestion, marked for next time. It's funny you suggest that. This was my first week using the Geometry editor. I have a crowd and some of them were floating so I needed to delete some of the characters, even though they were all one solid 'mesh'. I also saw an option for REVERSE NORMALS when previously, I spent two weeks searching for a low-cost app to do it- after searching Daz and posting on the forum and a bunch of other 3D sites. I joined two other forums searching for an answer. Started using Blender and more- all searching for a way....

And this weekend I see an option in there to reverse normals. Wow.

• Silent WinterSilent Winter Posts: 3,635

^I'm still finding useful stuff in there - one useful option is, after selecting one poly, to 'select connected' - if it's not joined by vertices, it gets left out.

That and reversing normals has saved me a bit of time reopening Blender to do it and re-exporting.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,815

this happens a lot, worse one sometimes gets things in the wrong directory altogether 

I don't entirely blame PAs as QA should be checking too and suggesting revisions

I don't own this but I have seen much much worse slipups or choices

• Moved to Technical Help as it was not a Product Suggestion.