something like Silkessence but for hair props. hair like Mavka hair, but longer

MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
edited March 2014 in Product Suggestions

can make tiling hair strands? edge blend?

my favorite is the Mavka hair for gn. it looks real. :lol:

Post edited by Mistara on

Comments

• Canary3dCanary3d Posts: 2,004
    edited December 1969

You can get cool results sometimes by using a seamless toon hair shader with the transparency that comes with the non-toon hair. Not quite the same as a real tiling shader set, but fun.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Now that's is a pretty cool Idea. Might need multi sets for the layers though. Some hair props would need the Trasmapped areas would they not? Hm... thinking... thinking...

• DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,550
    edited March 2014

Well, there is this one I did.
    http://www.daz3d.com/toon-style-hair-shaders
    It won't take out the transparency map of the hair you are using it on, and there are a few natural hair colors in there too.

I think there are a few other similar type products in the store, but I can't find them.

Now, let me tell you about using shaders on hair. For 90% of products, they will work fine. Basically they will work on any hair that the strands on the texture map are vertical. Now, if the hair's creator arranged the texture maps so that some strands are horizontal, then you need the strand tile to be rotated, essentially doubling the size of the product. Don't forget about the skull caps that are usually a swirly pattern, and it is not possible to make a tile that will land on the right spot on the UV and look correct. Having blending edges is the same problem because the ends of the hair strands can be all over the texture map, making it very hard to create a convincing transparency map that will work on more than one thing.
    But all of these are problems you have with any shader preset on the planet.

Edit:sorry, that whole thing sounded harsh, or that I am anti-shader when clearly I am not. :) I'm just pointing out what I learned when I did the above product. I absolutely encourage any brilliant ideas or solutions to the problems I mentioned that I didn't think of.

In other words, "Go for it Jaderail!"

Post edited by DestinysGarden on
  • Canary3dCanary3d Posts: 2,004
    edited December 1969

Oh, perfect! That was exactly what I was thinking of, but a lot more cleverly constructed that what was happening in my brain. What I've been doing is using the very very old firebirdz hair maps for RJ hair (because they have some really nice fantasy colors), modified to clone over the black areas, and then loading them into the diffuse channel of various hair thingies while leaving the transparency maps in place. Which is a LOT more work than your set - that's going on my "buy next time I get paid" list!

edited December 1969

Cheers Canary!

edited December 1969

In other words, "Go for it Jaderail!"
    Nope not gonna touch it, I'm fine with loading in new Diffuse map hair textures but not gonna tackle the Transmaps and tile rotations this would need. I'm crazy not insane... :bug:
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

you could put a disclaimer in, 'only works on vertical hair.'

would be fantastic if the mavka hair textr looked good on mitsu hair.

• DraagonStormDraagonStorm Posts: 748
    edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

Misty Whisky-already on the product page. ;-)

DraagonStorm-yes, that was the one of the ones I as thinking off. Very versatile.

edited March 2014

LOL!! Shoulda known DraagonStrom had already did it. Think up something and its done or getting done.... ;-P

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited March 2014

infinte hair isn't going to help me. Thanks though. not looking for toon hair.

The Silkessence makes some realistic looking silks,
    was hoping for product to make realistic hair out of hair that isn't.

something along the lines of this Mavka hair. that i could apply to long hairs like mitsu hair.

a very subtle degree of baked in highlights, that don''t jump out at you. :cheese:

popup01_mavkahair_1.jpg
    350 x 455 - 33K
    Post edited by Mistara on
    edited December 1969

Well if you need fast easy look at Omnifreakers Uber Hair shader. All the features needed for hair from Ubersurface two but it is made with presets to do things just like that for you with just a icon double click.
    http://www.daz3d.com/uberhair-shader-upgrade-for-ubersurface