Decided to create a prop or prop set and submit it to Daz to become a PA [Commercial]

alex86firealex86fire Posts: 1,130
edited February 2020 in Art Studio

Hi all,

as the title says, i have decided to try and become a PA for Daz.

Since my modeling skills are for now my strongest skillset I decided to start with props (less rigging involved) and work my way from there.

Before I start I want to take in suggestions, maybe even make a poll to create something that is wanted/needed.

My first idea for a prop and something I will do in the end anyway, as I want it for a personal project as well is a dog sled.

A second option would be a set of thieft tools as suggested in this thread

I am open to other suggestions.

Thanks and I will be waiting for your feedback.

P.S.

This is a fast render of the current state of the dog sled. Until now I've just added the basic geometry. It's still missing the ropes to tie it together and the system to which the dogs would be connected.

Fast Sled.png
1920 x 1080 - 4M
Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• Moved to Art Studio and added Commercial to title.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,421
    edited February 2020

You want to figure out what your niche is. High quality props and scenes are certainly a good pursuit.

Making what you are passionate about will carry through into the work you do. So that would make the dogsled a potentially good first project.

Making what people ask for in the forums, is far less certain. It certainly suggest there might be a demand for the product, but a few requests are not equivolent to the 100+ sales necessary to justify the time it takes to make a product..

If you can fill a niche, and that coincides with what customers want to buy,  then it could work out for you.

dogsigloos-brighter1.jpg
    491 x 183 - 49K
    Post edited by FirstBastion on
  • that sucks,

I know DAZ turns down a lot off stuff but with Dog8 and it's husky both your sleds would be more popular now

that other one is a dinosaur

• I would agree,  it's been almost a decade,  so things in the marketplace change.

• alex86firealex86fire Posts: 1,130
    edited February 2020

Thank you both for your feedback. Any feedback is good and it's actually what I need right now.

I would also love some statistics with what sells more in the Daz store, if you guys know where I could find those.

I actually decided on the Sled because the existing one didn't suit my needs and it doesn't fit Dog8.

I loved the movie Togo and I want to make a few renders according to it.

The hardest part I think will be the harness and the linking with the dogs because I would want to make it adaptable (so the user can choose how many dogs he wants attached to the sled.

I would also want to let the user decide if he has only pairs of dogs or in front there is a leader dog, like Togo was.

I walso want to make a few morphs for the links to the dogs, so that you can pose the dogs pulling the sled, or the lines would be relaxed if the sled is not in motion.

A second product linked to this if it would be in demand would be a set of poses for the dogs pulling the sleds.

Creating an environment would not be a problem for the modeling part but I have seen already a lot of winter type ones and I'm not sure if people would not prefer a better sled they can combine with whatever environment (considering I would invest the time I would take to create the environment to refine the sled).

Post edited by alex86fire on
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,776

I have no clue on modeling, but if you had a script or way to add depressions to match your sled's runners and dog's paws in a snow environment, and sold it with a combined sled, pose, maybe a serious outfit that could withstand the cold and some survival gear...?

Mary

• I think you would need to come up with poses for the dogs and for the rider. Leave it up to Daz marketing to decide whether to split it into two products or not. 

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,518

You want to figure out what your niche is. High quality props and scenes are certainly a good pursuit.

Making what you are passionate about will carry through into the work you do. So that would make the dogsled a potentially good first project.

Making what people ask for in the forums, is far less certain. It certainly suggest there might be a demand for the product, but a few requests are not equivolent to the 100+ sales necessary to justify the time it takes to make a product..

If you can fill a niche, and that coincides with what customers want to buy,  then it could work out for you.

In regards to the dogsled. I actually made one, years ago for a promo of the Land of Ice scene I built. https://www.daz3d.com/land-of-the-ice-cold-sun

It was a cold harsh artic type scene and I could have included the sled as part of the environment set, but thought it might be a stand alone product, if I added harnesses for a dog team.

Well Daz review committee, didn't think it was that sellable. (Every product submission goes through a review process on marketability)  They already had a mush team dogsled in the store,   and the explanation was the demand for snow products in general is luke warm at best. So the environmnet has been making money for years,  and the dogsled,  is still sitting in a folder somewhere.  Nothing is absolute,  and there is a constant state of flux in the market,  and changes in buying patterns, and customer requests and expectations has an ebb and flow, So now a decade later,  they might jump on the chance to sell a new dogsled,  but don't be surprised nor discouraged, if not.  I'm only mentioning it cause you are asking for feedback.  If you want to submit it,  make it part of a larger environment scene.

You did a good job modelling the sled. Now give it a environment or vignette scene to help make it sellable.

Here's the mush team product.  It was for poser and ds  https://www.daz3d.com/mush-hounds-sled-pack

I grew up in a harsh winter climate. To avoid it looking fake, like an igloo dropped in the desert, I'd put a few flakes on the dogs and sled and add the odd drift near the igloos.

• ArtAngel said:

So the environmnet has been making money for years,  and the dogsled,  is still sitting in a folder somewhere. 

I grew up in a harsh winter climate. To avoid it looking fake, like an igloo dropped in the desert, I'd put a few flakes on the dogs and sled and add the odd drift near the igloos.

That image is atleast ten years old and rendered in poser6 or ds2, hence the dated look. Thanks for the suggestions for a updated version.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,776

As someone who walks an American Eskimo in snow, who loves hunting for the deepest snow by digging his nose into any likely patch of snow, and then rolling in it. And the Huskies I have puppy sat for, do the same thing, plus lay outside in gale force winds and lightning. But, slush, nope totally put off by it.