How do I transfer custom morphs from one G8F to another G8F? (solved)

FlortaleFlortale Posts: 611

solution: you can't.  you have to save your custom morphs as a morph asset, which makes them universal to all G8F.  File->Save As->Support Asset->Morph Asset, then select your Zbrush custom morphs.  This makes the morphs universal to all G8F, so you may need to organize your zbrush morph structure, by editing the controllers path, to something like this:

Zbrush
- Char1-Vicky
- - vicky_customMorph1
- Char2-Paul
- - paul_customMorph1

Sometimes you'll just make a custom zbrush morph unique to a scene, in which it gets saved in the scene file and you don't save it as a morph asset, unless of course the G8F breaks for some reason and you need to load a new one. In my case, my G8F's limits are all broken somehow and I don't know how to restore it, so I was forced to use a fresh G8F which forced me into this situation.

How do I transfer custom morphs from one G8F to another G8F?

I don't want the morphs to become permanent, where they become available to every G8F character. I just need to transfer custom made morphs from one G8F to another. How can I do this?

Post edited by Flortale on

Comments

• Flortale said:

I don't want the morphs to become permanent, where they become available to every G8F character. I just need to transfer custom made morphs from one G8F to another. How can I do this?

You would have to remake the morph giving it a new name. No 2 morphs can exist {without problems} with the same name.

Might be easier to save out the morphs, use them as required, then close D/S and dig through the data folders to delete the morph(s). {don't save scenes with temporary items though}

• FlortaleFlortale Posts: 611
    Flortale said:

You would have to remake the morph giving it a new name. No 2 morphs can exist {without problems} with the same name.

Might be easier to save out the morphs, use them as required, then close D/S and dig through the data folders to delete the morph(s). {don't save scenes with temporary items though}

I can't even find the morphs. I think they only exist within my scene save file.

Somehow I need to export the custom Zbrush morphs of G8F to a file, then somehow re-import them back into a different G8F?

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,847

Try checking "data/auto_adapted", if you can't find them in there then they are embedded inside your scene file.

Try loading the scene, then go "File > Save As > Support Asset > Morph Asset", it should show up in that, put a check against it and save it as a DSF.

That will put it in G8F's morphs folder which means it will show up for every G8F base or character you load.

Bejaymac said:

Try checking "data/auto_adapted", if you can't find them in there then they are embedded inside your scene file.

Try loading the scene, then go "File > Save As > Support Asset > Morph Asset", it should show up in that, put a check against it and save it as a DSF.

That will put it in G8F's morphs folder which means it will show up for every G8F base or character you load.

Once I save it as a morph asset, is there anyway to only transfer it to a single G8F, instead of showing up for every G8F character base?

There has to be some way to transfer morphs between two figures.

• Are you wanting to combine custim morphs from two figures? Otherwise just zero the shape/reset the mps and save a Character preset (e.g. "Genesis 8 Female + MorphName) abnd use that to load a new figure when needed (not to modify a selected Genesis 8 Female). If you do want to amalgamate two morphs from different figues I think your ptions are reimport the OBJ and rebuild, save as an asset, or probably use a script (which would need to be written).

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481

@Flortale Also consider that combining morphs to a new one may affect jcms. That is, the old morphs may have jcms to fit them that the new one will not have. This is also why it is always better to use presets.

• Flortale said:

Might seem like a silly question, but what's the big deal against having a morph available for use with every G8F?

Flortale said:

Might seem like a silly question, but what's the big deal against having a morph available for use with every G8F?

These morphs are unique to this G8F and would never be used on other G8F's, so making them available to all G8F is wasteful and will clutter an already long list of morphs. 

Are you wanting to combine custim morphs from two figures? Otherwise just zero the shape/reset the mps and save a Character preset (e.g. "Genesis 8 Female + MorphName) abnd use that to load a new figure when needed (not to modify a selected Genesis 8 Female). If you do want to amalgamate two morphs from different figues I think your ptions are reimport the OBJ and rebuild, save as an asset, or probably use a script (which would need to be written).

I have one G8F that I sent to Zbrush via Goz. I made modifications and GOZ'ed back to DAZ, and now I have custom morphs like this:

Genesis 8 Female
    - Actor
    - Pose Controls
    - Morphs
    - Zbrush
    - - - Legs Wider 
    - - - Arms Bigger 
    - - - Wrists Modification 

I want to copy the morphs: Legs Wider, Arms Bigger, and Wrists Modification to another G8F. I was hoping there was a simple copy and paste function or some kind of morph transfer utility.

Padone said:

@Flortale Also consider that combining morphs to a new one may affect jcms. That is, the old morphs may have jcms to fit them that the new one will not have. This is also why it is always better to use presets.

I don't need to combine them, just transfer each individual custom morph to a new G8F.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,847

The thing you need to realize is there is no separate versions of G8F, when you load more than one copy of a figure in to DS (or Poser) you are basically using instancing (Posers internal ID system is terrible though which is why they suffer CrossTalk).

So it doesn't matter if it's a G8F in a scene file you made 18 months ago, or a brand new character preset you just installed, they will all read and load the exact same files in G8F's data folder.

Now some of the save formats are set up to handle mesh changes, without it needing to be added to the figures data folder, custom UV, material zone changes, mesh changes and morphs can all be embedded into DUF files.

Now I know from your posts that you have the morphs embedded in a scene file, what you can try is to load that scene, select G8F, and save her out as a character preset, that "should" cause the morphs to be copied and embedded into the character preset, that character preset now becomes your "new G8F".

Bejaymac said:

Now I know from your posts that you have the morphs embedded in a scene file, what you can try is to load that scene, select G8F, and save her out as a character preset, that "should" cause the morphs to be copied and embedded into the character preset, that character preset now becomes your "new G8F".

really? Hmm, I'll try that, thanks ;)

edited March 2020
    Bejaymac said:
    Bejaymac said: Now I know from your posts that you have the morphs embedded in a scene file, what you can try is to load that scene, select G8F, and save her out as a character preset, that "should" cause the morphs to be copied and embedded into the character preset, that character preset now becomes your "new G8F".

Sadly, this didn't work.  When I saved a character preset and applied it to a fresh G8F, it didn't add my custom zbrush morphs from my original character.

Does anyone know a way to transfer custom Zbrush morphs from one G8F to another, without making the morphs global to all G8F? These custom morphs that I made only work with a certain body type, they wouldnt' work with other G8F, so having them universal to all G8F doesn't make any sense.

Post edited by Flortale on
    Flortale said:
    Bejaymac said:

Sadly, this didn't work.  When I saved a character preset and applied it to a fresh G8F, it didn't add my custom zbrush morphs from my original character.

Does anyone know a way to transfer custom Zbrush morphs from one G8F to another, without making the morphs global to all G8F? These custom morphs that I made only work with a certain body type, they wouldnt' work with other G8F, so having them universal to all G8F doesn't make any sense.

edit: I decided to go with the save morph asset solution, thus the custom morphs are available to all G8F.

• Flortale said:
    Flortale said:
    Bejaymac said:

edit: I decided to go with the save morph asset solution, thus the custom morphs are available to all G8F.

Just fyi, if you don't want to 'see' them all the time, you can check them to be 'hidden' -- and then enable 'show hidden' when you want to see them.

• You need to use the Character preset to load a new figure, not to modify the selected figure, I think.

You need to use the Character preset to load a new figure, not to modify the selected figure, I think.

I'll try that. That'll probably work!