@JoeQuick, a word about the Great Greymalkin Robot

Hey there, big fan.  So I finally picked up this product over the weekend.  It is almost perfect.  As you can see below, I added some parts (greebles and primatives) to it to make it even closer to perfect.  I don't know how much money you've made off this robot, but I'd love to see some add on parts for him, simular to what Dzfire has done with his G8 Cyborgs.  Some shoulder pad options (round maybe), some jetpacks, wings (think Voltron).  Just a suggestion.  I'll have fun with this product no matter what.  Thanks.

Guardian of the Universe by tkdrobert

Comments

• JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,699

What you've added to him looks really good.

Oof.

I have made so little money off of Great Greymalkin. 

I also envisioned similar kinds of things (in terms of expansion), and other giant robots as I spent months of my free time working on him, every spare moment I could find.  Maybe modeling one body part a week in that small window between when my day job ends and parenthood begins.  I even started another giant robot that I never finished. I loved making him.  I loved how he turned out. I learned so much.  I've even worked out, in my head, how to do fancier stuff like hydrolics to add all the more "realism" to him. 

But his sales were absolute garbage.  He is one of my two greatest disappointments.  Impractical Adventure Girl is the only thing that let me down more (I figured I was one of the first out of the gate with a really banging fantasy outfit for G8F, I'll make a fortune! Nope).

Thank you for picking him up.  Thank you for liking him.  I could not justify making an expansion for him. I also don't think that Daz would be willing to carry it.

• evacynevacyn Posts: 960
    I just wanted to share that I love the Impractical Adventure Girl outfit and your work is brilliant. As for Great Greymalkin, I too would have loved a Voltron-styled add-on or two :)
  • tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,533
    JoeQuick said:

Oof.

I also envisioned similar kinds of things (in terms of expansion), and other giant robots as I spent months of my free time working on him, every spare moment I could find.  Maybe modeling one body part a week in that small window between when my day job ends and parenthood begins.  I even started another giant robot that I never finished. I loved making him.  I loved how he turned out. I learned so much.  I've even worked out, in my head, how to do fancier stuff like hydrolics to add all the more "realism" to him. 

But his sales were absolute garbage.  He is one of my two greatest disappointments.  Impractical Adventure Girl is the only thing that let me down more (I figured I was one of the first out of the gate with a really banging fantasy outfit for G8F, I'll make a fortune! Nope).

Thank you for picking him up.  Thank you for liking him.  I could not justify making an expansion for him. I also don't think that Daz would be willing to carry it.

That's understanble and what I expected, but frustrating.  I'm a mecha fanatic when it comes to Voltron/Gundam/Robotech.  Unfortunantly there doesn't seem to be a solid custimer base for it here on DAZ.  I've considered learning to model myself, but I simply don't have the time nor the patence right now to do that.  There are some good robot/mech models on Daz, but most of them don't scratch my mecha itch.  One of the best mecha model makers (doesn't sell here) has retired.  He scratched the Robotech itch, but not the Gundam/Voltron itch.  I guess I'll keep on dreaming.  Maybe one day, I'll either learn to build them or draw them.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,756

Hey, I have the Impractical Adventure Girl too. Sits there waiting for me to use when I have just the right need. But I picked her up at release.

• I bought Graymalkin.... but the upper arms being so thin compared to the lower arms really threw me askew.

• tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,048

I still have Greymalkin and Impractical Adventurer Girl in my wishlist.  Not so much into the 'Gundam' look, but I've been waiting on a good sale when my budgeted allowance is in a good place.  IAG has some nice forearm and shin armor, so I do want her eventually...

But in the meantime, I haven't helped either of their sales number totals as I haven't snagged them yet, so I fully understand why Joe Quick is disappointed in the sales number for those.  I'm kinda hoping they go 'PC+ for a day' during MM, so that I can show Joe a little more love at least.  I've grabbed a few of Joe's other items over the years though, and love them all!

In any case, thanks for making those Joe, I'll grab them eventually as my budget allows!

• Impractical was such a slap in the face with the name and concept. lol

https://www.daz3d.com/impractical-adventure-girl-for-genesis-8-female-s

I passed it up, but then looked back at it and realized it was perfectly- over and under-the-top at the same time.

It actually helped me lock in on the idea of the character's overall look.

-

Robots is another thing. I'd LOVE to do a lot more with giant robots, but the look -- serious or semi-light is real tough.

I've made songs about giant robots so it's still in my head...

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Dynamic-Robot-Show-Episode/dp/B0016LGZS8

I think I'd rather have more robot parts than a whole single configured bot.

• DripDrip Posts: 1,141

I think not enough people noticed yet that Impractical Adventure Girl actually has a sword with matching scabbard which carries on the side of the characters hip. Even if people aren't fond of the design of the outfit as a whole, it has several such pieces that are great for kitbashing with other outfits, both more and less realistic.

• Even if people aren't fond of the design of the outfit as a whole, it has several such pieces that are great for kitbashing with other outfits, both more and less realistic.

Well said and pretty much true for a lot of the stuff in the store.

The only bad time is when it's all glued together as one item.

That annoys me and when something like a single PROP is actually ALL those same objects, from the set, glued together as one item.

For example you have a bar set and select stool and EVERY STOOL is one solid object.

Not an instance, not stool 1, then stool 2, just the STOOL- and it is all 12 stools in the bar.sad

Oh, that and beds combined with their sheets.

• tkdrobert said:
    JoeQuick said:

Oof.

That's understanble and what I expected, but frustrating.  I'm a mecha fanatic when it comes to Voltron/Gundam/Robotech.  Unfortunantly there doesn't seem to be a solid custimer base for it here on DAZ.  I've considered learning to model myself, but I simply don't have the time nor the patence right now to do that.  There are some good robot/mech models on Daz, but most of them don't scratch my mecha itch.  One of the best mecha model makers (doesn't sell here) has retired.  He scratched the Robotech itch, but not the Gundam/Voltron itch.  I guess I'll keep on dreaming.  Maybe one day, I'll either learn to build them or draw them.

Not sure if the person you mean is who I am thinking of? If so he has been working on a new project and showing it on Facebook. I think he might be working on releasing it into the wild somewhere. And it is so awesomely detailed I can't wait to get my grubby little hands on it.
    FB_IMG_1582618840679.jpg
    1080 x 637 - 45K
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

I'm surprised Impractical Adventure Girl didn't sell. I bet it was because the main image used featured the knight armour on the shins & forearms. It looks much better without that.

tkdrobert said:
    JoeQuick said:

Oof.

Not sure if the person you mean is who I am thinking of? If so he has been working on a new project and showing it on Facebook. I think he might be working on releasing it into the wild somewhere. And it is so awesomely detailed I can't wait to get my grubby little hands on it.

Yes, we are talking about the same person.  I've seen the tank pictures on DA.  He is doing that for fun.  I don't know if he intends on releasing it.  It's based on a table top game he is playing.  It's WWII, alternate history type stuff.  It's cool, but it's not the kind of Mecha I like.

• LintonLinton Posts: 541

Impractical adventure girl reminded me of the armour from Dragon Age II. I nabbed it as soon as I could because I loved that game.

I passed on the graymalkin robot because it looked too much like Iron Giant had a baby with a Transformer, when at the time I was looking for Pacific Rim type robots. Michael Bay kind of killed my love for the Transformers with the shocking 3rd movie.

@JoeQuick love your toon figures, so cute and fun to use! And your Regal Star Lance outfit is superb!

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,756
    edited February 2020

All this discussion had me try out https://www.daz3d.com/impractical-adventure-girl-for-genesis-8-female-s and I had just bought https://www.daz3d.com/old-chapel. So I have Tempest and Grandmother HD protecting the chapel, as old in new again. For those who love to kitbash, please do consider this outfit. The leather work is incredible, realistic, and did not cause my computer to have fits (it is a robust system, but still, the render went quickly.)

Protecting the Chapel.png
    2000 x 1600 - 4M
    Post edited by memcneil70 on
    edited February 2020
    Linton said:

Impractical adventure girl reminded me of the armour from Dragon Age II. I nabbed it as soon as I could because I loved that game.

I passed on the graymalkin robot because it looked too much like Iron Giant had a baby with a Transformer, when at the time I was looking for Pacific Rim type robots. Michael Bay kind of killed my love for the Transformers with the shocking 3rd movie.

@JoeQuick love your toon figures, so cute and fun to use! And your Regal Star Lance outfit is superb!

I've been asking for Pacific Rim robots for a while now.  I've had to use XPS models to scratch that ich which is a pain.  I didn't get Graymalkin at 1st for the same reason you stated, but I was able to add to it it and it makes a good toon-anime robot.  I may have him go up against the Cosmic Knight just for fun.  Anyway, I want to see a very realistic version of a Pacific Rim type mech.  However, I'm starting to lose hope we'll ever get one that is made for Daz.  BTW, the Bumblebee movie was actually good.

Pacific Rim: Saber Athena by tkdrobert  Pacific Rim: November Ajax by tkdrobert Pacific Rim by tkdrobert

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:
    JoeQuick said:

Oof.

Yes, we are talking about the same person.  I've seen the tank pictures on DA.  He is doing that for fun.  I don't know if he intends on releasing it.  It's based on a table top game he is playing.  It's WWII, alternate history type stuff.  It's cool, but it's not the kind of Mecha I like.

He said he might release it as a freebie. I miss his store...there are a couple of products that I still had to get!
    tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:
    JoeQuick said:

Oof.

He said he might release it as a freebie. I miss his store...there are a couple of products that I still had to get!

Same here.  He told me that eventially all his stuff would be available at VanishingPoint or CGSHARE.com.  Most of his stuff is on VanishingPoint except the Vampry which I still want to get.

• tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:
    JoeQuick said:

Oof.

Same here.  He told me that eventially all his stuff would be available at VanishingPoint or CGSHARE.com.  Most of his stuff is on VanishingPoint except the Vampry which I still want to get.

Yes! The Vampry is one of the ones that I need and it still hasn't been released. And I am not sure how to help it into the wild.
    tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:
    JoeQuick said:

Oof.

Yes! The Vampry is one of the ones that I need and it still hasn't been released. And I am not sure how to help it into the wild.

I specifically asked him about that model and he said it will be released on both the sites I mentioned.

• tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:
    JoeQuick said:

Oof.

I specifically asked him about that model and he said it will be released on both the sites I mentioned.

I will have to keep a close watch then, thank you!
    tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:
    JoeQuick said:

Oof.

If it doesn't appear in the next month or so, we should both remind him.

• Are reminding Vanishing Point or The Maker? Thank The Maker that he is so talented!
  • ConnaticConnatic Posts: 279

I bought Greymalkin and Impractical Armor. Both are great products, sorry they did not have successful sales. 

• I have both, but haven't really used greymalkin.  I'm looking more for power armor than a mech, and like most mechs the hip structure doesn't work as power armor.

I have both, but haven't really used greymalkin.  I'm looking more for power armor than a mech, and like most mechs the hip structure doesn't work as power armor.

Do you have this one?

https://www.daz3d.com/heavy-powersuit

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124
    edited March 2020

Huge respect and thanks to PAs who still try and do such niche themes! yes wish could support you all, maybe over the time that will be possible... *sigh*

Great Greymalkin reminds of absolute classics like Tetsujin 28-Go

or Giant Robot Mikazuki (yes, that one tv show that had WATERMELON kaiju! surprise )

On a side note, if even more classic designs unfortunately are not always finding enough audience here, i fear to think about more esoteric designs being an idea to be executed.

Like, something inspired by these or those, what do you think? (question to both mech/mecha-loving consumers and possibly curious PAs):

[images are bigger than previews]

Sorry if i brought too many examples blushlaugh just wanted to note how wildly different mechas are (and these above are from more "eastern school", so i didnt even touch "western mech" cultural stratum which, while was influenced by Macross, Votoms and the likes, also had "their own" things)... and i'm glad that there are still those who like 'em, among daz community.

Post edited by akmerlow on
  • tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:
    JoeQuick said:

Oof.

If it doesn't appear in the next month or so, we should both remind him.

In speaking with our friend on Facebook. He has his freebies over at the posersharecg site. And he said he will be putting out his past items as he has free time.
  • akmerlow said:

Huge respect and thanks to PAs who still try and do such niche themes! yes wish could support you all, maybe over the time that will be possible... *sigh*

or Giant Robot Mikazuki (yes, that one tv show that had WATERMELON kaiju! surprise )

On a side note, if even more classic designs unfortunately are not always finding enough audience here, i fear to think about more esoteric designs being an idea to be executed.

Like, something inspired by these or those, what do you think? (question to both mech/mecha-loving consumers and possibly curious PAs):

Sorry if i brought too many examples blushlaugh just wanted to note how wildly different mechas are (and these above are from more "eastern school", so i didnt even touch "western mech" cultural stratum which, while was influenced by Macross, Votoms and the likes, also had "their own" things)... and i'm glad that there are still those who like 'em, among daz community.

These all look awesome. My daughters and I have been watching Aldnoah:Zero which has some great varied mechs!
  • DripDrip Posts: 1,141
    akmerlow said:

These all look awesome. My daughters and I have been watching Aldnoah:Zero which has some great varied mechs!

Oh, 3-story high sleek futuristic mechsuits like those, as well as those in things like Gundam Wings and Scarlet Blade are totally my thing. Though, everybody has his or her own favourites, so it'd be very hard for a PA to make one that pleases all the fans of such mech suits. I personally like the sleek ones with sharp corners and the pilot seat in the lower body. Others prefer more boxed or bulkier models with several rocketlaunchers and the pilot seat near the top, like from the Mech Warrior franchise. As rare as they are, it's probably harder to make a mech suit that sells well, than it is to make a selling leprachaun with five eyes and an additional arm sprouting from its back. The former really has to fit into its tight niche in the right style, the latter can be more versatile, and used in content ranging from fantasy to horror.

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124
    edited March 2020

it'd be very hard for a PA to make one that pleases all the fans of such mech suits

And perhaps PA does best results when   creates something that he/her/they adore the most (?), passion project, of sorts. Still, all that situation (do what you want VS. do what you think would sell VS. do what is known to sell etc. etc.), complicated :(

leprachaun with five eyes and an additional arm sprouting from its back

huh, this is golden! should be in product suggestions thread cheeky

Post edited by akmerlow on