Daz 4.12 fails to render using iray, on an RTX 2060 super

Succulent FruitSucculent Fruit Posts: 102

So I stupidly updated Daz Studio from 4.11 to 4.12, mostly because I wanted to try out the new photo to face tool, which is absolute garbage btw. So when that dumpster fire of a plugin failed, I tried to make some new renders. Turns out, Daz 4.12 is just as buggy as I was worried it would be! ;D

Except it isn't buggy in a funny way, its buggy in a throw-your-computer-out-the-window kind of way. For one thing, I can no longer make renders. Yay!!! A rendering program that doesn't make renders!

It won't even display my scene using the Iray rendering engine in the viewport either. It just repeatedly says, "preparing scene" and the little yellow loading bar fills over and OVER again, doing nothing. When I try to make a render, it does the whole "preparing render" [business], then says, "render error!" and stops trying to render the scene. It does this with every single scene I create, no matter how complex or basic. 

I'm also now pretty sure its automatically switching to my CPU to try and render the scene, because my computer performance starts to tank to a snail's pace, even when trying to do an Iray preview in the viewport. 

I'm running an RTX 2060 Super 8 GB GPU, and I have 16 GB of RAM. This is not acceptable, not with my hardware. Does anyone have a fix for this? I'm running the latest Nvidia drivers, and don't even bother asking me to roll them back, Nvidia has made it such a pain to roll back drivers, its not even doable anymore. 

[...]

Daz 4.12 [is very poor]. They didn't fix anything, they just added features that [are poor], and completely borked the program for anyone using a modern GPU. Has anyone had this issue, and do you have a solution?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• When you say latest drivers, what is the exact version number? Can you do a simple render of a primitive, or the base Genesis 8 Male or Female wearing hair and clothes from the Starter Essentials?

• You don't say whether you were using the General Release or the Public Build (beta) so I tried with the General Release, rendering using a 1660 Super (6GB, and no RTX so there would be an additional memory load from using OptiX Prime to cover for the features that your RTX provides. Usng the 442.19 Studio drivers it was able to handle a Genesis 8 Female with a Moouso character, multi-part dForced clothing, and hair takng abut five minutes to render, no drop to CPU.

Test 1160 Super.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 121K
  • Hey Richard.  I have two GEFORCE RTX 2080s.  Should I check CPU as well as Optix Prime or Just my cards.  This is so confusing.  My computer too just seems to hit CPU no matter what I do.  (Sorry to piggy back on someo elses post ;)

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited February 2020

@kingfisher13  RTX 2070 Super here. Rendering with NVIDIA® Iray® in ultra high resolutions : no issue whatsoever. It's way faster than with my old GTX, though Daz is the only 3D app I own that still uses way too much CPU when rendering a simple scene (by simple I mean that all meshes and textures should fit in the VRAM).

If I send a DAZ character to Keyshot, Renderman, VRay, Octane, etc. All other rendering solutions now go rocket fast with RTX tech and display the mesh ultra fast. My computer being close to silent all the time because only the GPU is used. RTX took minutes long renders down to seconds (as long as everything in the scene fits in your VRAM). Truly amazing. 

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited February 2020

Anyway I definitely confirm : NVidia RTX + DAZ 4.12 = no problem with iRay whatsoever. It works much better than with GTX. Though it still uses too much CPU. 

I just did a test : Load any female character in the viewport (no hair, cloth, etc). I click on NVidia Iray for the display. "Preparing Scene" appears for a bit less than 2 seconds. Then the Iray begins its work and in 3 seconds or less, I already have a very good looking Denoised Iray render. Maybe the way you configured Daz is the issue ?

Please check those : 

Draw Settings Tab -> General -> Filtering -> Post Denoiser Available ON / Post Denoiser Enable ON / Post Denoiser Start Iteration 8 (this value works fine for me but can be changed) / Post Denoiser Alpha ON

Edit -> Preferences -> Interface -> Per Pixel Shading ON / Hardware Anti-Aliasing ON / Display Optimization Best / Texture Resources Quality / Pixel Buffer ON / Multi-Threading ON (if your CPU has multiple cores of course).

This is the way I configure Daz. And it works really fast. Viewport and Iray render. Hope it'll help.

P.S : Though IRay displays a satisfying result close to instantly in the viewport, it's still way more comfortable to pose a body using the Texture Shaded Viewport. 

#s3gt_translate_tooltip_mini { display: none !important; }
    Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • I've got a new CTD bug with renders at the moment, and I'm sure its caused by the new version.

• ChallyII said:

I've got a new CTD bug with renders at the moment, and I'm sure its caused by the new version.

Then report it as a bug. I will say that for me. $.12 is far more stable and usable than 4.10 or 4.11 (4.11 all but put my VN's under. I couldn't get renders done on any sort of reasonable schedule).

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

Check your driver. Needs to be Nvidia 430.86 at a minimum. If you have Win 10, your Nvidia driver may have been overwritten. 

ChallyII said:

I've got a new CTD bug with renders at the moment, and I'm sure its caused by the new version.