Poser Imports

For years now I have been purchasing Poser models and importing and usin them in Carrara. I recently loaded in a the House Cat from Hivewire and tried to import it. Worked fine, but then there was a big problem, the poses that I used completely warped the poor thing, and was impossible to put a new mat on it. After I looked at the discription, it mentioned it was compatible to Poser 11. Is that a problem when importing it to Carrara? Is there a solution that doesn't require me to use DS?

Thanks, Stuie

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,801
    edited February 2020

Load the ds version of HWCat not the Poser version wink

Post edited by Stezza on

You will need to adjust textures but all else works..

of course assuming you are using Carrara 8.5 .. 

• StuieStuie Posts: 58

Yes I have 8.5 Pro. How do am I able to import the DS info into Carrara?

edited February 2020

from the browser tab select your Content tab

then select

My Daz 3D Library>Animals>HiveWireHouseCat> select your cat model.. then either double click it or drag it onto the scene with your mouse. yes

Post edited by Stezza on

Wow, thanks so much. I'll post my rendering when done.

Ooops, one more problem. I also downloaded a tuxcedo coloration for the cat. I can find it in my materials section of My Daz 3D Library, but I get an error message when trying to load it onto the cat. Any suggestions?

edited February 2020

Is it a texture made for DS or Poser texture?

If DS Make sure the cat is selected in the instance tab ( the second one in the tree ) double click the texture to apply if it's DS..

if Poser then you will have to manually apply it via the Texture room which you will need to know the location of the file on your PC.. wink

Post edited by Stezza on

also while in the Texture room you may as well do the edits to the bump maps and trans maps ( for the ears ) which don't come across by default.

Okay, I've loaded the cat into Carrara from the DS files. It loaded okay and posed great. The cat is highlighted in the Instance tab. When I go to the Materials for the cat it has 2 subfolders, 3Delight & Iray. No matter which tab I go and select the mat I want I get an "An error occured while excuting" message when I drag it onto the cat. Nothing happens when I double click. Again, this is all done through the DS download into Carrara. The Poser download won't let me pose the model.

Screenshot.jpg
    1440 x 900 - 173K
    edited February 2020

in the tree select the Hivewirehousecat not the grey tabby 3 

then apply the 3delight texture wink

don't bother trying to use the Poser version at all.. it won't work in Carrara smiley

catselect.jpg
    960 x 796 - 130K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited February 2020

just rendered this one... I added Carrara fur to it as well.. smiley

housecat.png
    640 x 480 - 193K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited February 2020

same applies to all the HW animals as well... 

housecat and bigDog.png
    640 x 480 - 250K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

cattitudes smiley

As you can see, I've done what you suggested. I selected the Hivewirehousecat, not the grey tabby 3. I wasn't choosing the new material from any Poser content, it came from the DS download I installed. Once again, I get an error wether I double clicked or dragged it to the cat. I no longer have any type of problem posing it since following your advice to use the DS files, however, I still can't load new materials to the model. Also, it has the same error using the material from both subfolders where the material are located (3Delight & Iray). About ready to bang my head.

Stuie

Screenshot2.jpg
    1440 x 900 - 186K

One last thing. I had purchased the Hivewire dog several months back and had the same problems with the Poser content as with the cat. I re-installed using the DS content and low and behold, I was now able to pose it properly. However, still can't cahnge the materials as with the cat.Frustraing! Can anybody help with this?

• you could manually load the maps

I cannot help as I don't actually own the texture addons

Not sure how to do that. When I select the cat, the only files that I access from the DS content are duf files. I did try to load jpegs from the Runtime, but it didn't work. Aaaarrrggg.

• Stuie said:

Not sure how to do that. When I select the cat, the only files that I access from the DS content are duf files. I did try to load jpegs from the Runtime, but it didn't work. Aaaarrrggg.

You have to do it in the shader room. Select the channel (color for instance) and pick texture map from the drop down menu. Then click on the folder icon and search for the texture. There will probably be a texture for the color and bump. There may be others like transparency and shininess. You need to do this for each shader. 

Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 5.06.06 PM.png
    755 x 532 - 111K

if Poser then you will have to manually apply it via the Texture room which you will need to know the location of the file on your PC.. wink

as Brian said... you have to manually apply the textures in the texture room as I also suggested to do.

you need to know the location of the texture files on your PC to do that.. it's easy once you know how wink

I suggest consolidating shaders first - Edit/Remove Unused Masters/Consolidate Duplicate Shaders

then adjust the individual shaders in the shader room... You need to adjust the body, head, ears and ear hair sheets shaders to do a better job.

then after doing all the changes you can either

1. save the adjusted global shader to your shader tab for future use

2. save the adjusted cat to your objects folder for future use

or as I do ... do both wink

catselect_txt.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 577K

Got it. I guess I wasn't as familiar as to how to do it in the shader room as I thought. Having a bit of trouble with the eyes, but will keep working at it to get them right. Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the help. I"ll post the final render when I get it right.

Okay, one more problem. Sorry everyone. I think I've got everything down (even the eyes which I didn't bother with for this sample). One thing that I can't quite get to do properly is the inner ears. Keep in mind I'm loading the DS version of the cat into Carrara and using the jpg's from the Poser version to change the breed. Was there a step I'm missing in order to get more realistic looking ear fur? Thanks, one more time. As soon as I can get this step down I'll post the final rendering.

Ears.jpg
    1400 x 800 - 77K
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

one on the right looks like Gremlin, my kitteh who thought he was a dog. heartheartheart

edited February 2020
    Stuie said:

Okay, one more problem. Sorry everyone. I think I've got everything down (even the eyes which I didn't bother with for this sample). One thing that I can't quite get to do properly is the inner ears. Keep in mind I'm loading the DS version of the cat into Carrara and using the jpg's from the Poser version to change the breed. Was there a step I'm missing in order to get more realistic looking ear fur? Thanks, one more time. As soon as I can get this step down I'll post the final rendering.

yep, as I mentioned previously, You need to adjust the body, head, ears and ear hair sheets shaders to do a better job.

for the ear hairs you need to apply the transmaps for the ear sheets and also the eyelashes wink

catselect_eartrans.jpg
    1859 x 776 - 470K
    Post edited by Stezza on

Thank you so much, I forgot about reading that. Thanks for your patience and putting up with me.

Stuie