RTX2070 Super card temp

plarffplarff Posts: 256

Hi all

I bought another RTX2070 Super card and running two now. I noticed the main rendering card is running at 80degrees under rendering load and the fans are spinning around 2900rpm. 

Will this be a long term problem? My older card never really went over 70degrees, hardly ever that high and fans spinning around 1200rpm max... Currently this older card which is now the second card runs same temps with the Super card running at 80degrees as ive said.

Opening all panels of my Cougar Panzer G case doesn't seem to drop GPU temp much. I have enough intake/exhuast fans should anyone ask.

Ive used MSI afterburner and Nvidia Inspector 3rd party software to manage the temp/fans but doesnt seem to help much.

Thx 

Post edited by plarff on

Comments

• I added a RTX 2080ti to my setupa few months ago and I had similar concerns about the temperatures.  I currently have the 2080ti and my older 1080ti in the machine.  Under prolonged rendering, the 1080ti goes to around 70 Celsius.  The 2080ti (a blower card) runs between 80 and 84 Celsius under prolonged load.  I did some research, and the card throttles at 89 Celsius, so as long as my card isn't reaching that then I'm not concerned.

I tweaked the fans so that the card remains quiet when I'm gaming, but they go from 60% at 70C to 100% at 80C and this seems to be fine for rendering and gaming.

That said, it might be worth looking at the separation between the cards and seeing if you can move the second card to give a little more room between them.  If noise isn't an issue, then increasing the speed of the case fans slightly might help.

• plarffplarff Posts: 256

Ive moved the cards apart as much as i can... There's around 2cm space between them fro airflow. Taking of the side panel should allow more air in.. Today im rendering and its a little better as its also slightly cooler day...

• plarffplarff Posts: 256

Ok so i contacted the seller and he contacted the distributor of the card and they recon running it to 85degrees under load is still fine. The card can do 95 degrees even...

Not sure how to take that but atleast now i have proof that i told the seller about my concerns and they said its fine should there be a warranty issue later on.

• I wouldn't say 85 for hours at a time is fine but it isn't likely to blow up the card in the next few months.

Most motherboards have 3 full length slots, at least. 2 "next" to each other and one at the very bottom of the slots. If you have that full length slot that's where the extra card should go.

You should definitely look at adjusting the cards fan curve as well as the cases fans. You specifically want as much air as possible blowing into the area the card occupies as possible. So setting the intake fans to run higher is a very good idea. I'd run them as fast as you can tolerate the noise they make.

Further your case could have just terrible airflow, many newish cases do.If the front of the case is all glass or a solid piece with little if any venting for air that will be a major problem, for airflow. You should identify the case and then find out from the maker/online how to get the front of the case off/open to get more air.

Failing all that taking off the side panel and even putting a small desktop fan blowing at it may help.

Although you don't need to get the card much cooler. 75 would be a perfectly fine temp even if you ran the card that warm 24/7

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

@plarff

I'm pretty sure the design operating Temperature of the 10XX and RTX cards is 90C. That's why the driver throttles back once reaching 89 or so. My 980TI throttles back when Temp tries to exceed 80C. As @kenshaw011267 says, a good first step (if not already done) is a custom fan curve. Throttle GPU fans up to 100% pretty early (~50C). People complain about noise, but there have been quieter fan design for several years. My GPU fans at 100% are noticable at 100% but not loud enough to be an issue. Maximum separation between dual cards should be a first step.