Contrast (gammut) shift in Windows and Photoshop

I'm noticing a significant shift in the contrast between the preview image in Studio an the saved image as shown in Windows 8.1 and Photoshop.

r.png has a significantly lower contrast when viewed in Photoshop CS3 or Preview on Windows 8.1.

Is this a known factor or is there somthing different about my system?

I thought it was just Photoshop, but the Windows API renders it differently too. But when I open the same image in Photoimpact X3, the file seems to be rendered exactly as Studio shows it. Since Firefox and IE both seem to agree with Studio's interpretation of the gammut, I'm just going to stop using Preview and Photoshop for now.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• PDSmithPDSmith Posts: 712

Windows Color Management system.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4462979/windows-about-color-management

I can't say if this win10 procedure will help but that's where most of the problems of Windows recolouring images  occurs.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481
    edited February 2020

You have to setup your monitor color profile in the windows settings. Usually this is done by the monitor driver if you install it. But it is not enough. You also have to set a srgb profile in your monitor. Since most monitors, especially those with good panels, come with multiple color profiles that you can use.

The srgb monitor profile will allow you to preview and deliver an image that's the same in any calibrated monitor. It will also allow you to correctly export your image to different color spaces for printing and movies.

This is absolutely essential to work with a bpr engine. It makes no sense using the tone mapping if you don't have your monitor profiled to srgb.

Post edited by Padone on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045

As Padone says, it sounds like PS and Preview are changing the Colour Profile for the image.

• Yeah, it is not talked about too much but color is a proplem with MS Windows. This is better addressed by the Mac OS. It is too bad mac is sooooo expensive or I would still own one. Have you seen the price of the latest Power Mac desktop? What the hell is Apple thinking?

• Reality1Reality1 Posts: 115
    Padone said:

You have to setup your monitor color profile in the windows settings. Usually this is done by the monitor driver if you install it. But it is not enough. You also have to set a srgb profile in your monitor. Since most monitors, especially those with good panels, come with multiple color profiles that you can use.

The srgb monitor profile will allow you to preview and deliver an image that's the same in any calibrated monitor. It will also allow you to correctly export your image to different color spaces for printing and movies.

This is absolutely essential to work with a bpr engine. It makes no sense using the tone mapping if you don't have your monitor profiled to srgb.

I'll check into this thanks!

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045

Yeah, it is not talked about too much but color is a proplem with MS Windows. This is better addressed by the Mac OS. It is too bad mac is sooooo expensive or I would still own one. Have you seen the price of the latest Power Mac desktop? What the hell is Apple thinking?

I have used windows 98, XP, 7, 8.1 and now 10 and have always calibrated my monitors, both crt and laptop, and haven't had any bother. Other than doing the calibration after a year or so to make sure the colour generated by the monitors hasn't degenerated as it does over time. I use the internal graphics system, the card management and the old Adobe Gamma program.

How to get started in Windows 10.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/calibrate-monitor-windows-10