Question: How to create rough geometric surface in Carrara. (Ie: Stone surface)

Scorpio87Scorpio87 Posts: 82
edited February 2020 in Carrara Discussion

I have a question regarding the proccess of which one can use Carrara pro to create a series of sub divisions on a plane or surface to create rough surface without using texture map.

I have been creating rough surfaces thus far manually point by pont, however I feel like there should be a faster way (only scratched maybe 5% of carrara's abilities).

What are your methods?

(Example to create a masonary brick that contains physical bump without using a texture image or displacement.)

Post edited by Scorpio87 on

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited February 2020

Hi Joahnght - sorry your question has been unanswered

quickest way is put a vertex sphere in modelling room then in shader room in the displacement channel add (for example) noise 

tweak till happy

then export the object with morphs and skinning applied - when you bring the obj back into carrara the displcement will be baked into it

squash and pull the object till it looks like a stone

personally I woul drop a stone texture into the displacement chennel and do the same thing - but that would be using a texture

better result would be obtained using organic in the modelling room - first draw a flat shape with interpolated curve, then fill (Model>Fillpolygon) that after closing it then use Construct>Organic - then use the above displavcemnt trick

Post edited by Headwax on
  • you can subdivide it and use the displacement brushes too

• Joanght said:

I have a question regarding the proccess of which one can use Carrara pro to create a series of sub divisions on a plane or surface to create rough surface without using texture map.

I have been creating rough surfaces thus far manually point by pont, however I feel like there should be a faster way (only scratched maybe 5% of carrara's abilities).

What are your methods?

(Example to create a masonary brick that contains physical bump without using a texture image or displacement.)

For this kind of surface, noise functions are the way to go. You can try them in the bump channel until you are happy with them.

You can them transfer bump to displacement (geometry) up to the same precision using my phong tessalation plugin (see https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/282246/new-plugin-phong-tessellation-and-displacement/p1).

• Scorpio87Scorpio87 Posts: 82
    edited February 2020
    Headwax said:

Hi Joahnght - sorry your question has been unanswered

quickest way is put a vertex sphere in modelling room then in shader room in the displacement channel add (for example) noise 

tweak till happy

then export the object with morphs and skinning applied - when you bring the obj back into carrara the displcement will be baked into it

squash and pull the object till it looks like a stone

personally I woul drop a stone texture into the displacement chennel and do the same thing - but that would be using a texture

better result would be obtained using organic in the modelling room - first draw a flat shape with interpolated curve, then fill (Model>Fillpolygon) that after closing it then use Construct>Organic - then use the above displavcemnt trick

you can subdivide it and use the displacement brushes too

Joanght said:

What are your methods?

For this kind of surface, noise functions are the way to go. You can try them in the bump channel until you are happy with them.

You can them transfer bump to displacement (geometry) up to the same precision using my phong tessalation plugin (see https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/282246/new-plugin-phong-tessellation-and-displacement/p1).

Wow thank you guys, so many wonderful answers! I will definitely try all these methods to produce the results I desire.

Thank you much.

Post edited by Scorpio87 on