Critique, please.

Trying to improve so any feedback appreciated.

Concept is that an amateur writer is finding it hard to settle on a story idea. Characters are accumulating fast and are confused about what kind of story they have pulled into.

Thank your for your time!

Indecisiveauthors_petra.png
1200 x 675 - 2M

Comments

• Looks like a nice image of a bunch of characters standing around.

It does seem like you did what you wanted to do.

As a creative idea, I don't know where to go next, except closer to you main concept.

So maybe try and create an image that gives us the full concept.

- instead of an image and then neededing to explain what it's from.

-- image something like....

Like the writer, sitting as their station or typewriter or computer keyboard or Ink and quill pen, etc and all the characters are around (in some sort of crowded position) as if they want input or to be included....

Or instead of a non-related mountainy landscape, why not a giant book or HUGE sheet of paper?

Or a close up of the writer's face- looking confused or in deep thought or lost or, or....

And behind them is the paper with crossed out words...and those figures mixed in....

--

Even if a writer figure was among them, in the middle- torn between all those figures and ideas....

Holding a giant pencil or pen....

Something along those lines...

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,060
    edited February 2020

I do agree largely with Griffin Avid about the characters & poses.

Something that might improve the current image is to have some depth to the flat bit of the ground where the characters are standing. The grass & earth is very 2 dimensional. Possibly a depth map for the ground would help, with some 3D plants (grasses/bushes/trees) being used. Alternatively I have used a bit of software called 'Flowscape' (FS) that can create landscapes with trees etc astonishingly easily. It is slightly awkward to use with DS as it has import only. Can I suggest you look at the FS thread here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/316051/flowscape-and-daz-studio-so-many-backdrops/#latest It is a useful piece of software, but not quite as fantastic as it could be.

Here's one of my images of figures posed in DS imported into FS, with a steeply rising landscape that I quickly covered in vegetation, total 2 hrs including posing the DS figures, taking into FS and creating the FS landscape & painting all the vegetation:

Regards,

Richard

Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

The yellow dragon, green dragon, lady in bikini and Frankenstein all disappear in the yellow looking grass. The aqua robot disappears in the agua dragon. 

It looks to be a Comic Con convention rather than a panel from a comic story. 

• ZateticZatetic Posts: 284

Thank you very much for the feedback! I mistakenly thought that the background wouldn't matter since the focus was on characters. I'lll give it another go.

• Images, just like stories, tend to work better when they have a central focus. In a story, it is the protagonist, in an image, its the subject. The disparate characters in your current image lack a focus. And as you explained that's exactly the intent,  but what it is missing,  it the main character,  which may actually be the writer overseeing the scene or scribbling or typing intensely within the scene.