stimulus bux burning my pocket, ready to buy upgrade

MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
edited April 2020 in Carrara Discussion

tax refund burning my pocket, ready to buy the Carrara X upgrade

i don't expect Carrara upgrades for free.  i remember when it was more expensive than poser pro,

what ya got for me money, daz store, what can i 3d print?  where the content for Carrara ?

Post edited by Mistara on

Comments

• Been using DAZ 3D Studio, What is Carrara???

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited February 2020
    fdsphoto said:

Been using DAZ 3D Studio, What is Carrara???

You need to sort your gallery link out.   At the moment you have a generic one that takes each user who clicks it to their own gallery

Carrara is a full-featured 3D computer graphics application featuring figure posing and editing, as well as nature modeling, in addition to traditional modeling, animation, texturing and rendering. The software is also capable of dynamic hair and fur simulations, particle effects, soft body and rigid body dynamics. Carrara is now owned and developed by DAZ 3D. Carrara is compatible with Poser and DAZ format 3D figures and props. It is further supported by a number of 3rd party plug-ins and add-ons.

In addition to its native renderer, the program is also integrated with external 3rd party renderers LuxRender and Octane.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    Chohole said:
    fdsphoto said:

You need to sort your gallery link out.   At the moment you have a generic one that takes each user who clicks it to their own gallery

Carrara is a full-featured 3D computer graphics application featuring figure posing and editing, as well as nature modeling, in addition to traditional modeling, animation, texturing and rendering. The software is also capable of dynamic hair and fur simulations, particle effects, soft body and rigid body dynamics. Carrara is now owned and developed by DAZ 3D. Carrara is compatible with Poser and DAZ format 3D figures and props. It is further supported by a number of 3rd party plug-ins and add-ons.

In addition to its native renderer, the program is also integrated with external 3rd party renderers LuxRender and Octane.

There's a thought.

a new render engine.

I don't understand how to render carrara animations in Lux.

The engine i really want is Vray.  seen some gorgeous demo reels.
    if there was a way to render animations to it.  there is a vray standalone thingee.

i don't want to spend thousands on c4d

• makmamakma Posts: 54

With EJ Easy Pro Render Suite, please. Ready For Daz Studio now.

Or much better with LexCoreRender 2.2. Its free. Tha same with AMD ProRender.

Not so much, just plug-ins would be OK... My GPU would be happy.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,223
    edited February 2020
    fdsphoto said:

CARRARA!                               

►►► Carrara Information Manual ◄◄◄

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    Mystarra said:

i don't want to spend thousands on c4d

Blender killed all mid-range 3D apps, said another site. I guess rentals for indies of high end apps also helped to decimate the market down to a few actively developed 3D packages. I think you can still get Lightwave 3D as a perpetual license for a mid range price. Older Poser versions had a good plugin into LW, C4D and 3dsmax...

i dont understand the diference between ray tracing and path tracing. i thik is major diff

i appeciate what blender can do, but I suffer macular edema, i need a clean gui.  menus look like smudges

I think LightWave is still only around a $Grand, and has recently obtained it's own PBR and other updates. I was seriously considering getting that a few times. Since getting Carrara, I'm happy here. I tried iClone 5 and 6, but didn't have Xchange, so I got bored pretty quickly as I didn't want to have to invest in a whole new library of goods just to try it out. I really like their concepts though - animation with realtime PBR rendering. If I really needed something other than Carrara, I'd go ahead and make the switch. But I'm glad to be happy with Carrara.

For just modeling/UV mapping, Silo 2 is still a fine choice, I think. It's available via Steam, but I doubt that I'd like having to launch my 3d app(s) through a client like that. Maybe it's fine - never done it myself.

Again, though... I'm happy enough with Carrara. I often think about modeling in Hexagon, which seems to be a fairly proficient modeler to me, but then I remember that Carrara's vertex modeler does everything I've ever asked of it - so I just stay at home! LOL

Modo is storming through the industry with blistering advancements toward the future, so I think it's worth its weight if you use those innovations to the max - say, being in the industry, constantly pushing the latest developments in your work. If I were a modeler by trade, I have a feeling that their procedural modeling features (just to name one of Many) would sell me into buying Modo.

Vyusur, on the other hand, has shown how powerful things like Carrara can be. Blender cannot be ignored. It's powerful, it's free, and now it's backed by a paid team of developers.

But what about LightWave? Well LightWave is a professional tool as well. So is Carrara, for that matter. But LightWave has been a professional goto for many studios across the globe for a long time. Unfortunately for those who demand the most current latest-and-greatest, NewTek has let LW slip on product development for more years than a hungry audience cares to endure - and many have jumped ship. 

LightWave promos have always made me ponder the idea of including it into my workflow because of the feature it Does have that Carrara doesn't. I'm more keen to have the features that Carrara has that nothing else does in the end, but if I ever have that extra cash to grab something else, LW has bee part of that list.

My knowledge of things has grown recently, however, and now I just know that Carrara is really all I need for my 3d work - even if it remains 8.5 Pro forever. I sure would love to see what the next phase would be though! 

the big thorn in my side is not being able to move verts on posed figures in their pose position..
    so necessary for tactile poses, skin needs to pinch under a grip

and hair with true curves.  watching edna's hair  bounce around makes me jealous with 3d envy  llol

Mystarra said:

the big thorn in my side is not being able to move verts on posed figures in their pose position..
    so necessary for tactile poses, skin needs to pinch under a grip

and hair with true curves.  watching edna's hair  bounce around makes me jealous with 3d envy  llol

I do that with clothes, but the actual modeling part is done on the unposed version, but I select the verts in the animation tab of the vert modeler, then manipulate them back in the main modeling room. When I do that, I zoom in on the area I'm working on in the little preview window. 

Faba would likely do all of this by first making the shaping morphs, and have them auto-joint-controlled through the ERC modifier. Fenric developed that around her direction.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,816
    edited February 2020

there is another way to do this but I have forgotten using magnets

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

there is another way to do this but I have forgotten using magnets

Thanks for that!

I've had occasions when I really wanted to try magnets, but always forgot to go back and figure out where to find them and how to use them. Video does a great job!

now i leaning toward 3d xcoat.  looks more versatile than MD.

b-day present to myself.smiley

hardware, still stuck between a 3d printer or cores. 

maingear still the place to go for custom builds?

reading some poor reviews of cyberpower tech support.

• What is this Carrara X upgrade you mentioned in the thread title?

I am still using Carrara 8.1 pro.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Joanght said:

What is this Carrara X upgrade you mentioned in the thread title?

Wishful thinking     but the current version is 8.5pro

Chohole said:
    Joanght said:

8.5.119 becomes X with the awesome Pligins

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,191
    Mystarra said:
    Chohole said:
    Joanght said:

For animation in Carrara, this is the ultimate plugin:

https://www.daz3d.com/animate-aniblock-importer-for-carrara

My collection of many dozens of Carrara animation NLA clips is mostly based on imported Aniblocks, saved as clips.

the return is here.  on my birthday, too.

i've decided to blow it on isbn numbers  https://www.myidentifiers.com/identify-protect-your-book/isbn/buy-isbn

Steve K said:
    Mystarra said:
    Chohole said:
    Joanght said:

For animation in Carrara, this is the ultimate plugin:

https://www.daz3d.com/animate-aniblock-importer-for-carrara

My collection of many dozens of Carrara animation NLA clips is mostly based on imported Aniblocks, saved as clips.

i needed help with the g8 animates.  Lucky Wendy helped me fix the workflow.

• I still haven't installed the Carraractors on my Win10 PC, 3 or 8 surprise

nothing to do with your efforts in fixing them Misty, just cannot be bothered with the related issues like converting everything to blended weight they wear when earlier generations work out the box.

Only thing I use them in G3&8 that is, is iClone and UE4 as they actually work better than other figures there

they also take up far too much resources in DAZ studio too

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited February 2020
    Mystarra said:
    Chohole said:
    Joanght said:

Not just plugins by our devoted Carrarian indie developers... but your work with the G3 and G8 figures so we can vicariously experience what CX could be if only DAZ would see how loved Carrara is! 

Wendy, I will have to perservere... I can alter the faces of G3 much easier than any earlier versions. I hope this year I learn to make my own characters' clothes instead of contstantly kit-bashing.

heart Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
    SileneUK said:
    Mystarra said:
    Chohole said:
    Joanght said:

Not just plugins by our devoted Carrarian indie developers... but your work with the G3 and G8 figures so we can vicariously experience what CX could be if only DAZ would see how loved Carrara is! 

Wendy, I will have to perservere... I can alter the faces of G3 much easier than any earlier versions. I hope this year I learn to make my own characters' clothes instead of contstantly kit-bashing.

heart Silene

clothes be easier with one of those retop softwares smiley  perfectly sized quads.

i really want to make wardrobe  choices for Janna.  she's slim and elegant, think she'd make a lovely mermaid queen.

for carractors, i put the weight conversions into my install overhead.  save bw at the time i install a new outfit. and craete support morphs for the home spun body shapes.  i don't bother with panties.  the gals only need 1 ready panty.  lol

removing the unused morphs before conforming clothes in rara and saving them to rara, is a monumental time and memory savings. a single genesis shirt went from 200mbs down to 20.

• Mystarra said:

..I've decided to blow [my tax return] on ISBN numbers...

WOW!
    You write books?

it helps me look busy when i'm goofing off at dayjob. lol

and it gives me scenes to render

well dazm at this point,  i think is safe to assume i can spend my money on MD.  mebbe next tax season carrara upgrade.

sweet stimulus batman

more carrara content please

presets, outposts, ocean planets,  biodomes, and kewl stuff

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,801

would be nice... 

here in Aus we recieved our first stimulus of $750 ( about $470US ) dunno what to do with it, was looking at upgrading my PC but that pays for about half of it... Interestingly Apple are releasing a new iPhone for $749 lol... nice work Apple

I think I'll just support our local mobile car mechanic and  get an oil change and brakes done whilst we can't go anywhere.