Going to be wiping and reloading computer soon, need some advice

I've had to wipe and load my PC a few times in the last 5 or so years. Something I like to do to keep it fresh and acting like new.

Anyway, every time I've had to do this, I've lost the ability to open up any scenes I've saved in the past. This includes models and their setups.

Is there a way to save all this information before I wipe, then restore it correctly when I load a fresh copy of Windows 7? I have some models I spent many many long hours creating and don't want to lose the ability to load them later.

Daz by the way.

Thanks!

Post edited by seanmrussell82_f96afc3e69 on

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Anyway, every time I’ve had to do this, I’ve lost the ability to open up any scenes I’ve saved in the past. This includes models and their setups.

If you mean DAZ Studio, you need to make sure to save the 'data' folder, which should be in your current content folder (Library).

What version of DAZ Studio are you currently using, and are these .DAZ files that you cannot open again?
  • edited December 1969

Yes, newest DAZ studio.

Basically, what I am asking is if there is a way to save a model and be able to load it again on another PC with all the settings I had before. (Facial structure mostly)

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

If you are using the latest version of DAZ Studio, then the saved file format will be the new DUF file format.

You still may need the 'data' folder anyway, but also the Runtime folder will need to have the same structure. In other words, if you use other runtime folders, you will need to save them as well to be sure that you have everything.

The data folder is usually in the first path listed under DAZ Studio formats in the Content Directory Manager, but if you use My DAZ 3D Library or My Library, make sure that these are backed up before you wipe your system.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,133
    edited December 1969

I just had to reinstall daz and my rutime myself not to long ago, because my SSD poop out..lol

If you have window 7 pro you can make exact shadow copies of your files and computer setting so when you do a system restore you can reload the shadow copy.
    you can do that by click action center on your Task bar or your computer control panel

At least that what used to reload my system and daz files when i put the new SSD drive in and everything is working fine.
    Though I did have to do a new install of daz when the new update came out

5.jpg
    1166 x 853 - 110K
    4.jpg
    1210 x 877 - 125K
    3.jpg
    1239 x 856 - 125K
    2.jpg
    1248 x 895 - 116K
    1.jpg
    1152 x 711 - 72K
    edited December 1969

one more :)

6.jpg
    1517 x 960 - 149K
  • edited December 1969

Hey, this is super awesome. Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it.

edited December 1969

magmaman said:
    Hey, this is super awesome. Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it.

You are very welcomed..
    I had to to have someone show me this trick as well
    I hope it helps you out :)