Genesis Crashes Carrara

tomahalktomahalk Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi!

Something like this was posted before, but I don't understand the answer.

In Carrara 8.0 and 8.5 Pro, when I put Genesis in a scene, it asks me to find the "default repository (folder runtime). When I choose my runtime from "my daz", it crashes.

Anyone have a answer or work around?

Thanks!

Tom:cheese:

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,099
    edited December 1969

If it's asking for a dsf file location, I have a feeling that you need to update Genesis. Carrara 8.5 cannot work with dsf files, so DAZ 3D has changed it all to duf before 8.5 was officially released. DS can open them without delay - but Carrara cannot.

In the process of changing over from dsf to duf, Genesis kept the same name. So it's possible to have two Genesis, if the first was never uninstalled. So if that happens, you'll often get those errors, as Carrara tries to grab the wrong file.

I'm not so good at digging through and finding what belong and what doesn't, so I switched over to having all of my Genesis products installed via the DIM, since it knows to uninstall stuff that needs uninstalling. But it only does this for stuff that it installed.

I don't know the list of files that would need to be deleted to uninstall Genesis, so I cannot help you there.

edited December 1969

But that might not even be the issue. I don't really know what it is Carrara is asking for.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 14,997
    edited December 1969

@Dart - perhaps a related topic, did you install the Daz Studio update? If so, did you use the DIM to do it? Did you then have to reinstall anything else?

• tomahalktomahalk Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thank you all so much!

I just installed Daz yesterday, and haven't tried to open anything yet. I have a lot of info to go on for the moment!

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    @Dart - perhaps a related topic, did you install the Daz Studio update? If so, did you use the DIM to do it? Did you then have to reinstall anything else?
    Me? Yes, Yes, and Not recently! :)

I am really busy with other stuff right now, but slowly and surely I am beginning to bring Genesis 2 into my workflow. I am a huge fan of the latest and greatest figure from DAZ 3D, and eagerly look forward to using it. My opinion of Genesis is this:

Genesis was made for DAZ Studio. The new DAZ Studio was developed around Genesis. To use one, having the other is just good sense. But that's me.

As soon as I first ran into the dsf/duf problem, I decided to save a backup of my DAZ Studio Library, which was very new at the time, and then deleted the whole thing. I also uninstalled DAZ Studio, the Content Management, etc., and then ran C-Cleaner's registry tool to clean everything up nice and tidy. Of course, I always store backups, even in C-Cleaner. One never knows.

All cleaned up, I downloaded and installed DIM and now I use that to manage all of my DAZ Studio and Genesis installations. It is the fastest and most reliable way to uninstall before install that I know of - and when you instal updates, it automatically uninstalls stuff first - and very quickly! :)

edited December 1969

tomahalk said:
    Thank you all so much!

I just installed Daz yesterday, and haven't tried to open anything yet. I have a lot of info to go on for the moment!

We'll get this figured out... you'll see :)

Yeah, fire up Studio and let it go through its opening routine. I am quite sure that the intention is that we will not need Studio in order to use Genesis in Carrara - but I think that it's not quite to that reality yet. It might be, to an extent, but I think that it works best if DAZ Studio is installed and up-to-date. :)

DAZ Studio comes with a Content Management System (CMS). It may not install and start this service automagically anymore. To ensure that it's running, I go to Task Manager (I'm on a PC) and check under services (or is it processes? One of the two) for DAZ CMS. If it's not running, I go to Program Files(86) (I'm using 64 bit)> DAZ 3D > DAZ3DIM1 > cms and run the installer from there. CMS is a small service that runs in the background, keeping all of your stuff in order.

It used to be, during the Carrara 8.5 beta period, that we woulld have to run DAZ Studio and close it again, after each install of something Genesis related, to get the product 'logged in', but now the DIM does that for us. Still, I think that running DAZ Studio at least once before diving in to Carrara with Genesis, is a good plan.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

If it's asking for a dsf file location, I have a feeling that you need to update Genesis. Carrara 8.5 cannot work with dsf files, so DAZ 3D has changed it all to duf before 8.5 was officially released. DS can open them without delay - but Carrara cannot.

In the process of changing over from dsf to duf, Genesis kept the same name. So it's possible to have two Genesis, if the first was never uninstalled. So if that happens, you'll often get those errors, as Carrara tries to grab the wrong file.

I'm not so good at digging through and finding what belong and what doesn't, so I switched over to having all of my Genesis products installed via the DIM, since it knows to uninstall stuff that needs uninstalling. But it only does this for stuff that it installed.

I don't know the list of files that would need to be deleted to uninstall Genesis, so I cannot help you there.

do you mean a genesis duf file in the data folder?

i just re d/l this morning and i still see a genesis.dsf file in the \data folder?

thanks.

edited March 2014

do you mean a genesis duf file in the data folder?

i just re d/l this morning and i still see a genesis.dsf file in the \data folder?

thanks.It no longer belongs there.
    Do you use DIM?
    There must be a topic somewhere for folks that do manual installs. I'll have to look into this sometime. Personally, I gave in and keep my old runtime folders, as before, and I still install into them as I always have, plus use the DIM on them.

But when it comes to something like Genesis, I deleted all of my folder mod-podge and started fresh with the DIM. Of course, I always store a back-up before deleting, just in case.

Genesis started life as a DSF, but that format should no longer exist. Ask the folks at DAZ who had to convert all of those files over and update the entire Genesis lineup of products! ;)

So if you still have DSF in your structure, it tells me that it was never uninstalled. Moving folders around after installation can break the operation of an uninstall. Manual override means manual override through and through... not just in adding, but in deletion as well. Such is the beauty of the DIM. But we just have to know that, once DIM installs something, it can and will uninstall what needs to be, before updating. My DIM is always updating my collection.

But if we change the folders around and move the files, uninstall will fail.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    edited December 1969

User-facing files are .duf, data files are .dsf

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited March 2014

tomahalk said:
    Hi!

In Carrara 8.0 and 8.5 Pro, when I put Genesis in a scene, it asks me to find the "default repository (folder runtime). When I choose my runtime from "my daz", it crashes.

Thanks!

Okay, this is the second time I've seen a post reference a version of Carrara earlier than Carrara 8.5 and problems loading Genesis. I'm not trying to be a crab at all, but there have been suggestions for fixes that may work in 8.5, but not in C7 or C8.1. These responses will just confuse and frustrate the people with the issues if they follow the advice, but can't get it to work.

To be clear: Genesis will not work at all, period, in versions of Carrara prior to 8.5! Since tomahalk mentions C8.5, that is the version you need to ask about. Don't even waste your time with Genesis and Carrara 8.1.

To the Genesis Gurus (ahem Dart! ;-) ) pay attention to version numbers! It will save butting your head against a wall!

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

So what's going on with the dsf errors, do you know? I've never got one since switching to the DIM-only method.
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    edited December 1969

So what's going on with the dsf errors, do you know? I've never got one since switching to the DIM-only method.

I'm not sure -- I don't know if Genesis works in Carrara with CMS turned off.

• goggerfett@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 2,284
    edited December 1969

tomahalk said:
    Hi!

Thanks!

Okay, this is the second time I've seen a post reference a version of Carrara earlier than Carrara 8.5 and problems loading Genesis. I'm not trying to be a crab at all, but there have been suggestions for fixes that may work in 8.5, but not in C7 or C8.1. These responses will just confuse and frustrate the people with the issues if they follow the advice, but can't get it to work.

To be clear: Genesis will not work at all, period, in versions of Carrara prior to 8.5! Since tomahalk mentions C8.5, that is the version you need to ask about. Don't even waste your time with Genesis and Carrara 8.1.

To the Genesis Gurus (ahem Dart! ;-) ) pay attention to version numbers! It will save butting your head against a wall!

I noticed the version numbers as well and was wondering when someone (besides me) would comment on it. Maybe this will help?

Genesis will not work at all, period, in versions of Carrara prior to 8.5!