Question about ERC Freeze

Hi guys, 

I want to make a custom character. Unfortunately I already morphed the head and body toghether in the same scene before reading and realizing I want to make 1 head and 1 body morph with ERC Freeze.

I would like to now make these 2 morphs with ERC Freeze in the same scene. Is that possible. In theory I thought it should be, because you can select the properties but there are a lot of x/y/zOrigin-End properties that I don't really understand since this is the basic pose. Should I include them as well (in the same way, select only the ones that apply to the head, or the ones that apply to the body) ?

Thanks

Comments

• Is ths a cusome morph or a combination os pre-existing morphs or a mix? You should not usually see the joint centre adjustments for custom morphs once they have been linked to the morph (by ERC Freeze), the dialogue should show only those proeprties which are non-zero in their local values.

• alex86firealex86fire Posts: 1,130

Is ths a cusome morph or a combination os pre-existing morphs or a mix? You should not usually see the joint centre adjustments for custom morphs once they have been linked to the morph (by ERC Freeze), the dialogue should show only those proeprties which are non-zero in their local values.

Yes, it is a mix. I started with a custom morph done in Blender and after that I played with pre-existing ones for some fine-tuning. I also used scale for the whole figure (to 99%) at the end. Not sure if that would also influence anything else.

The weird part is that my custom morph is only for the face but the body also has coordinates.

• Is ths a cusome morph or a combination os pre-existing morphs or a mix? You should not usually see the joint centre adjustments for custom morphs once they have been linked to the morph (by ERC Freeze), the dialogue should show only those proeprties which are non-zero in their local values.

Yes, it is a mix. I started with a custom morph done in Blender and after that I played with pre-existing ones for some fine-tuning. I also used scale for the whole figure (to 99%) at the end. Not sure if that would also influence anything else.

The weird part is that my custom morph is only for the face but the body also has coordinates.

Did you do an Adjust Rigging to Shape and then an ERC Freeze for your custom morph, to link the rigging chnages to the shape, before adjusting any othr sliders? If not you should do so, then you should do an ERC Freeze with the custom shape plus head morphs (or body morphs), then one for the body (or head) morphs, and then you can optionally do one for a master slider controlling both head and body.

Is ths a cusome morph or a combination os pre-existing morphs or a mix? You should not usually see the joint centre adjustments for custom morphs once they have been linked to the morph (by ERC Freeze), the dialogue should show only those proeprties which are non-zero in their local values.

Did you do an Adjust Rigging to Shape and then an ERC Freeze for your custom morph, to link the rigging chnages to the shape, before adjusting any othr sliders? If not you should do so, then you should do an ERC Freeze with the custom shape plus head morphs (or body morphs), then one for the body (or head) morphs, and then you can optionally do one for a master slider controlling both head and body.

I can't remember if I did Adjust Rigging to Shape before adjusting other sliders. Maybe, because I spam it quite a lot but it is possible I changed some sliders first.

My problem is now I have all these x/y/z origin and end properties besides the properties I changed and it's a little hard to select only the ones I need to separate the head morph from the body morph.

I guess worst case scenario would be to duplicate the figure (to save the dials), dial back everything except the custom morph, dial back the rest of the head morphs, do ERC Freeze for it, dial it to 0, dial back all the body morphs, do an ERC Freeze for the body morph, dial both morphs to 100% and do the master slider.

Only problem is I have around 100 sliders in total and I would love it if there was a way I could save my character without going through this process.

• Save a Shaping preset and that should capture the mrophs, except possibly your custom morph. Then Edit>Figure>Zero>Zero Figure Shape, reset your custom morph (assuming it was zeroed), and ERC Freeze that. Then reapply the saved shape preset , create the cotnroller(s), and ERC Freeze that/them as needed.

Save a Shaping preset and that should capture the mrophs, except possibly your custom morph. Then Edit>Figure>Zero>Zero Figure Shape, reset your custom morph (assuming it was zeroed), and ERC Freeze that. Then reapply the saved shape preset , create the cotnroller(s), and ERC Freeze that/them as needed.

It does eliminate the x/y/z origin and end but there is a problem (I think):

I saved a shaping preset without my cutom morph.

I restored shape.

I reset my custom morph. I applied adjust rigging to shape. I applied ERC Freeze to my custom morph.

I applied the saved shape preset (this removes my cutom morph). I reapply my custom morph.

Now if I use ERC Freeze on a new Char_Head morph all is well but, if I apply adjust rigging to shape, the bones move a little. If I do that, the x/y/z origin and end appear again in the ERC Freeze.

I am not sure what to do now.

Also, question about the Adjust rigging to shape, should I select adjust orientation or leave it unselected? I noticed it does something at least in the eyes.

Thanks again for the time you are taking to help me out with this.

• Don't use Adjust Rigging to Shape with compound morphs. If you have custom morphs that need it then apply just one morph, adjust the rigging, link via ERC Freeze for each in turn.

Don't use Adjust Rigging to Shape with compound morphs. If you have custom morphs that need it then apply just one morph, adjust the rigging, link via ERC Freeze for each in turn.

Ok, that is good to know.

One more question, I had my custom morph only imported locally in the scene where I used it to create my new character.

I created the head morph, body morph, full morph, and than used the scene to save/support asset/morph asset.

That introduced my new morphs in the morph tabs. My problem is that the custom morph was only imported locally, so the head morph that is available through support asset does not have the custom morph available to apply, so it just applies the rest of the settings.

Is there a way to apply that shape without having to save my custom morph also as a support asset ? (since I only used it for this new one, I don't want to crowd my morphs with it)

If there isn't, would another viable option be to use my custom morph as the head morph and use ERC Freeze on it to also include the rest of the head morphs?

• You could keep all of the proerpties in the scene, but yes you should be able to use the actual morph as the controller - in principle it's no different from using it to control JCMs. However, before doing an ERC Freeze, if you have already done it for the adjustments, you need to use ERC Bake (right-click on the link in the Property Hierarchy) as running ERC Freeze twice is likely to produce Duplicate Formulas.

You could keep all of the proerpties in the scene, but yes you should be able to use the actual morph as the controller - in principle it's no different from using it to control JCMs. However, before doing an ERC Freeze, if you have already done it for the adjustments, you need to use ERC Bake (right-click on the link in the Property Hierarchy) as running ERC Freeze twice is likely to produce Duplicate Formulas.

Thank you!

It all worked fine now.

And with all the practice tries I feel like I understood and remembered the process. Will be able to do it again faster and faster.