NEW USER Contest March 2014 “WIP Thread”

13»

Comments

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Kharma said:
    Here is my WIP for the contest, DOF always seems to elude me but maybe I am pointed in the right direction finally? Any suggestions on this?

Good job with the DOF! And the foreground set and animals look nice too. I will say that, as far as the background is concerned, sets like the Cyclorama, Millennium Environment, etc. can be tricky to use with DOF and maintain the realism. Yours looks OK though...just watch the joint between the floor and back wall.
  • DesignemDesignem Posts: 63
    edited December 1969

DOF forward and behind subject. Classic pool camera shot, I think...

V6_Stepahnie_Beau_Pool_Shark_DAZ.jpg
    640 x 800 - 170K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Nice idea... Looks good.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Kharma said:
    Here is my WIP for the contest, DOF always seems to elude me but maybe I am pointed in the right direction finally? Any suggestions on this?

Hi Kharma! Nice setup. One suggestion- the lion's jaw blends with the chunk of rock behind it. Perhaps tilt the camera so the dark isn't on dark, the top slab of that rock is a lighter color and the open mouth would stand out better there.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

Thank you for the nice comments and suggestions :)

Novica I see what you mean about the mouth blending in to the rock. I will try a bit different angle on the camera or move the lion just a bit to avoid the blending, hopefully without ruining my DOF. It was difficult to get the right spot so just enough of the front and back was blurred for a novice like me, but will try

edited December 1969

Kharma- the other thing, if you don't want to move the camera:
    1. select the neck of the animal and bend it up just a bit to raise the head
    2. use a small point light and illuminate the jaw a tad

edited December 1969

emacek1 the pool shot looks awesome- I like that the man behind her is holding a drink in his hand, shows he is relaxed and enjoying the game (even if he's competitive!) Nice lighting and posing :)
    Cathie

• MIBAMIBA Posts: 56
    edited December 1969

Hi, although march is nearly over, I would like to contribute to this contest.
    I call this picture "Horses? There are no horses on this farm!"

What shoud I change?

Thanx
    MIBA

====
    *oops* Looks like I failed to post this to the "WIP"-thread. Could somebody move this post? :-)
    ====

figur-002-005-postwork-001.jpg
    800 x 533 - 116K
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

emacek1 and posoproso: both of these look very good.

edited December 1969

Thank you Scott! :-)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

posoproso said:
    Thank you Scott! :-)

I sent you a PM regarding the comment you made in the entry thread. :coolsmile:

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

Lots of wonderful renders this month. Good luck to everyone who has entered.

@MIBA-63: This is adorable. Glad you were able to get your name changed.

edited December 1969

@chohole: Thanks a lot for your support! :-)

@Kismet2012: Thank you! :-) I like your wind chimes. Almost hear them tinkling!

• SirustalcelionSirustalcelion Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

I like what I did with the tail and grass. I think you might have misinterpreted what I was trying to say about the flower--maybe I just didn't explain myself well. What do you want the viewer's eyes to jump to? I'm assuming the dragon but I could be wrong... Since the flower is so brightly colored, the eyes kind of want to jump to that--especially if it is in focus. Great render, though--excellent work with the lighting and surfaces.

Nah, I do actually want the flower to be part of the action (viewer focus should be on the flower and dragon head together). By moving it into focus, I hope it looks like it is supposed to be.

edited December 1969

I like what I did with the tail and grass. I think you might have misinterpreted what I was trying to say about the flower--maybe I just didn't explain myself well. What do you want the viewer's eyes to jump to? I'm assuming the dragon but I could be wrong... Since the flower is so brightly colored, the eyes kind of want to jump to that--especially if it is in focus. Great render, though--excellent work with the lighting and surfaces.

Nah, I do actually want the flower to be part of the action (viewer focus should be on the flower and dragon head together). By moving it into focus, I hope it looks like it is supposed to be. You have done very well, your only drawback is the fact the human eye will not do a double focus. A Viewers eyes are going to first draw to any item that is cloose to one of the rule of thirds cross lines, here your dragons head, then the eyes will do the second focus. There is just not a way to do double focus in one look on a image that large. It is still a very good render.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

Made some adjustments to the lions mouth position ( as per Novica's advice) so it seems to stand out more instead of blending in. Should I post in the entry thread also?

NUDOFcontest.jpg
    1422 x 800 - 674K
  • TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited December 1969

I'm sorry, I won't be able to finish my entry this month (again). Well, hopefully things will get better next month.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,383
    edited December 1969

Kharma said:
    Made some adjustments to the lions mouth position ( as per Novica's advice) so it seems to stand out more instead of blending in. Should I post in the entry thread also?

Very nice

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,383
    edited December 1969

Everyone be sure to get your images submitting to the contest thread by tonight.

edited December 1969

TobiasG said:
    I'm sorry, I won't be able to finish my entry this month (again). Well, hopefully things will get better next month.
    I'm sorry to hear RL got in the way. I was hoping to see where that idea went. See you next month I hope.
  • TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    TobiasG said:
    I'm sorry to hear RL got in the way. I was hoping to see where that idea went. See you next month I hope.

I hope so too - we're buying an apartment, which is somewhat stressful. :)

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited April 2014

TobiasG said:
    Jaderail said:
    TobiasG said:

I hope so too - we're buying an apartment, which is somewhat stressful. :)

Congratulations on the purchase Tobias.

Hope to see you participate in the April contest...assuming RL allows.

Post edited by Kismet2012 on