No Textures When Importing an OBJ File - Beginners Question

I thought I take a second approach to get a bit more familiar with Carrara 8.5.

I wanted to import a Daz Character into Carrara. Before I had exported it in the OBJ format in Daz Studio. Both files OBJ and MTL are available. But after the import there are no textures anymore. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,816

what options did you choose in obj export?

usually Carrara will at least ask you to locate the maps if it doesn't load them

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 846
    edited January 2020

Thanks for the quick response. Carrara displays the following dialog window

Carrara Import Dialog Window

BTW I have no problems to import the OBJ file into Bryce.

Carrara_Import_Dialog.jpg
    399 x 523 - 43K
    Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
    edited January 2020

I meant the DAZ studio export options

and yes Bryce and Carrara need different export options

you also have that dropdown in your screenshot where it says default preset but DS has a Carrara export option too

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Thank you. I will try out the Carrara export option.

• I'm afraid it still does not import the textures. Here the options I used in Daz Studio.

Daz_Export_to_Carrara_Window.jpg
    451 x 504 - 71K

I will have to look as  I don't usually import DAZ content as I generally load them from my library

which figure is it?

if Genesis 8 you can get a freebie preset from Renderosity that won't crash Carrara like Genesis 3 and 8 do

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/?item_id=77504&ca

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/?item_id=77745

any clothes needs to be converted to blended weight under edit rigging in DAZ studio and saved as a scene subset

you could try the collect maps option too again it's not something I normally do for figures

edited January 2020

collect maps worked for me with genesis 8 female dressed but the scaling is way out

Untitled.jpg
    743 x 847 - 86K
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 846
    edited January 2020

Thanks a lot for your help.

I tried it with a G2 and V4 character and even with a simple model of a bench, which has nothing to do with Daz, but none of them had a texture after the import. Just that you get me right, I simply wanted to load a character in OBJ format into Carrara 8.5 Pro and render it, not posing it. I went into the Shaders menu and there I found that I could load for each part of e.g. the V4 body under Color the suitable material/texture. But that is really tideous.

I am a bit frustrated now, because it seems I am not able to import even a simple bench with a wooden UV mapped texture. I cannot imagine that Carrara is not able to do it, so it did something wrong, I think.

Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Glad you are playing with Carrara, EE.  Love your Bryce work.

Not sure why you are exporting from DS as an object before loading into Carrara.  For most people, that is just an unneccesary step.  It's way easier to just load the character directly, same as you would load it into DS.

It is my understanding that you cannot load Daz characters directly into Bryce.  You can in Carrara.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,223
    edited January 2020

As Unified Brain said.

Just go to the Content Tab. If you don't see your content directories there, look just above the browser window to the far right (Little black circle icon in image below). Click that and (instead of as the image shows) select "Add Runtime" to add a Poser runtime directory if you use the older multiple runtime directory means of organizing, and choose "Runtime" in the dialog that follows. Or use "Add Folder" to add your Daz Studio Library, and choose "Content" in the dialog that follows.

You must be in the Content tab to add these libraries properly.

AddFolders.jpg
    1679 x 1021 - 1M
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Here is a Waaaay too babbly tutorial on working with materials on V4

I was new to tutorials, new to screen capture, and over-explaining on purpose for completness - way too over explainy - but sometimes that's okay when just starting out, so try and go through it all the way if you can. So sorry for the echo. I've learned better ways now and will be redoing these videos - but in the meantime....

Even more babbly is my First Look at Carrara 8.5, which gives a few pointers on getting started with Carrara and Genesis in Carrara type stuff

and with V4 and Genesis 2 you can also try loading your saved duf scene in Carrara

its only Genesis 3 & 8 that cause problems

Thanks a lot for your help.

I tried it with a G2 and V4 character and even with a simple model of a bench, which has nothing to do with Daz, but none of them had a texture after the import. Just that you get me right, I simply wanted to load a character in OBJ format into Carrara 8.5 Pro and render it, not posing it. I went into the Shaders menu and there I found that I could load for each part of e.g. the V4 body under Color the suitable material/texture. But that is really tideous.

I am a bit frustrated now, because it seems I am not able to import even a simple bench with a wooden UV mapped texture. I cannot imagine that Carrara is not able to do it, so it did something wrong, I think.

I found the carrara setting it was untextured too but ticking collect maps it worked

not the Bryce convert maps, the one up saying collect maps

edited January 2020

I did just think of something 

are you using Carrara 8.5 or 8.1 ?

as well as not supporting duf 8.1 did have some import issues

I see you are in thd PlatClub, if yoh don't have C8.5 wishlist it there are frequent killer bargains and it's worh it for the extra functionality 

I did just think of something 

are you using Carrara 8.5 or 8.1 ?

as well as not supporting duf 8.1 did have some import issues

I see you are in thd PlatClub, if yoh don't have C8.5 wishlist it there are frequent killer bargains and it's worh it for the extra functionality 

Big Time!!! After using the early public beta for a little while, I already couldn't go back to 8.1... I just couldn't!

• Thanks a lot everyone here for his/her input. Much appreciated. I will have a look to all suggestions as soon as I have a bit more time. I think it is worthwile to leave my comfort zone with Bryce ;-) and boldly go where a lot of others have been gone before. :-)

...and I have to take that plunge to (some day) open up Bryce and have a play with it. I've printed the manual and bound it into a book, and I find the software fascinating - but still haven't actually opened it and explored creating something.

I look forward to the day, however, so once in a while I'll grab a new thing from the store that is Bryce-specific to have some extra examples of things to do with it.

Carrara has had me so interested that it's nearly impossible for me to do anything else with my computer. I have some games that I really like but I cannot seem to finish any of them because they just inspire me to get back into Carrara. So I save, exit, and hop into Carrara, where I don't leave until long after I've forgotten where I was in a game, so I have to start over! LOL

I must admit that it did take some getting used to. Like the Shaders and such. At first I really wished that materials would just load in as they should. But it didn't take long to forget that. I love working with shaders now, and am glad that I have to tweak them. It forces me to check all of my materials and make them how I want them to be.

Another thing I really like in Carrara compared to Poser or Studio (maybe Bryce too?) is the lighting. Such a wealth of options from automated atmospheres with global illumination to simple three-point lighting, etc., and plenty of wonderful examples right in the browser to learn from. 

I also fix poke-through and make other tweaks that I want to make directly to conforming clothing and hair within Carrara right on the fly, which doesn't seem possible in other apps. Carrara is so vast that I doubt I'll ever have explored it fully, but it sure is fun trying!!! :)

Cheers Electro-Elvis, and welcome aboard!