edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,872
    edited August 2012

jmper said:

POSSIBLE ANSWERS:

"No thanks... I'm not sitting in the pee chair"

"Oh... but thats where Helen and Dave are sitting" (there is no helen or dave)

"Sure you can sit over there, but the seat is really funky... I think someone spilled something in it, or a kid had an accident"

"My Wife likes where she is sitting, but YOU can sit in my lap if you like (Wink-wink)"

"Khennestro dah cinto yandak?" (indignant)

"Thats where that old guy died last week.. eeeech, you sit there"

"For how much?"

"Okay, but I want the little girl's popcorn... is that okay sweety? If daddy gives your popcorn away cause he is lazy?"

"I don't want to sit back in the seat I just peed in... not again..."

"No... its a trap... the cameras are watching us... DID LASLOW SEND YOU?"

It really all depends on the person, and how obnoxious you feel like being.

LOL, like the pee one. Good stuff.

My favorites:

"For how much?"
    and
    "My Wife likes where she's sitting....."

LMAO!! :)

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

JHoagland said:
    Here's a question about seating etiquette at the movie theater...

My wife and I went to the movies this weekend. We got to the theater early so we could pick just the right seats: an upper row, right in the middle.
    A few minutes before the movie started, a guy came to our row and asked if we could move down one seat so he could fit all four of the people in his group. There was an empty seat next to me, so we moved down one seat. There were plenty of seats in the closer rows, but we didn't want to be rude and make a scene by telling him to sit in another row.

The question is this: should we have moved? Like I said, we arrived at the theater specifically so we could pick the seats we wanted. Or should we be polite and move when a group of 4 (or 5 or 6) comes in late and wants to sit together. Why didn't they arrive just as early so they could get all their seats together?

I don't think it is wrong to ask- however, you are within your rights to say no.

I personally always get an aisle seat, since I have to get up often during the movie. I don't want to skoot over for that reason, and don't relish sitting in the center or crawling over strangers.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,817
    edited December 1969

cridgit said:
    I went to the movies the other day with my wife and 2 friends. We arrived a bit late, so I asked this couple who had an open seat next to them if they could move down one ...

did they?
    my brother, his partner and myself had 3 season tickets at AAMI stadium for Port Power home games one seat in from the aisle, the bloke on the end rarely came so we often moved up one to let the group of 10 next to us have an extra seat for a friend who sat a row back otherwise, or to put a bag on.
    we had to wait to see if the seat holder was coming or not.
    he was an odd one who never spoke much, if he came late he seemed quite put off someone was in HIS seat even though we just moved saying sorry, you were not here so I just was making use of it, never really understood his issue (didn't say much, just looked grumpy) as we simply shifted back, the extra bloke climbing back into his seat behind, he'd only come to about 3 games so why waste it if he is not there?
    now MY seat is empty btw, I never renewed my season ticket after a few years, my brother and his partner rarely go either though they have seats so some other people ALWAYS sit there and when they do go, they usually just sit elsewhere nearby as it is pretty empty at Port games!
  • AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

Theatres are a waste of money. Volume is never loud enough to overcome someone's misplaced or over-dramatized laughter. People bring toddlers and/or infants into them, oblivious to the fact that they are too young to sit quietly for more than 15 minutes. Teens come to talk to each other instead of watching the feature. And on and on.

For the cost of 2 adult tickets one can usually own a copy of the flick if one is willing to wait 90 to 120 days.

Kendall

Damn! I feel sorry for you, having no arthouse cinema run by enthusiasts where you live.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited December 1969

We have an arthouse cinema around here, but it is run by euthanasiaists... It always feels a bit dodgy, as one never knows who they'll euthanize next.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Ascania said:
    Theatres are a waste of money. Volume is never loud enough to overcome someone's misplaced or over-dramatized laughter. People bring toddlers and/or infants into them, oblivious to the fact that they are too young to sit quietly for more than 15 minutes. Teens come to talk to each other instead of watching the feature. And on and on.

For the cost of 2 adult tickets one can usually own a copy of the flick if one is willing to wait 90 to 120 days.

Kendall

Damn! I feel sorry for you, having no arthouse cinema run by enthusiasts where you live.

We live in a rural area, with the nearest theatre 15 miles away, and it is a newly converted mega-plex. Besides that, the equipment I have at home makes for a better experience than the theatres anyway.

Kendall

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436
    edited December 1969

Ascania said:

We live in a rural area, with the nearest theatre 15 miles away, and it is a newly converted mega-plex.

It could be worse. I live in the middle of nowhere, with only one theatre (eleven screens) within a hundred mile drive.
    (That's not counting the one 5 miles away that has one screen and has been showing the same movie since 1984.)

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited August 2012

Ascania said:

We live in a rural area, with the nearest theatre 15 miles away, and it is a newly converted mega-plex.

It could be worse. I live in the middle of nowhere, with only one theatre (eleven screens) within a hundred mile drive.
    (That's not counting the one 5 miles away that has one screen and has been showing the same movie since 1984.)

It could be ever worser. I live in a small country town that has the only cinema within hundred k's. It's got a wooden floor, pedastal fans every few rows, terrible sound, and canvas deckchair seats (or plastic chairs up the back). Many a time I've watched a movie creep slowly up the screen till it hits the ceiling.

edit: although on the bright side, we all turn up with neck pillows or pillows and blankets during winter, and smuggle lollies in via our handbags.

Post edited by jakiblue on
    edited August 2012

Ackk! Wrong clicky clicky...

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
    edited August 2012

Actually, I don't consider the fact that the nearest theatre is nowhere near a problem... hollyweird has so little that is of interest to me. For the few flicks that they actually to make look interesting, I'm perfectly content to wait the decreasingly long times between theatrical release and Wal*mart release.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

we're the same way now. We'd rather wait till blu ray (either rent or buy). More comfortable at home, cheaper at home, you can pause to run to the loo at home - prefer home viewing to cinemas.

edited December 1969

Not to mention that the 3D addicted daughter can pause the "latest & greatest" 3D effects and dissect them down to the most minute detail... I just wish she'd wait until we've managed to watch the movie through the first time... :-)

Kendall

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

Actually, I don't consider the fact that the nearest theatre is nowhere near a problem... hollyweird has so little that is of interest to me. For the few flicks that they actually to make look interesting, I'm perfectly content to wait the decreasingly long times between theatrical release and Wal*mart release.

Kendall

And that's why I love Arthouse cinemas. They allow me to discover independent and foreign films off the Hollywood mainstream I would never have come across otherwise in a nice atmosphere.

• DareshiranuDareshiranu Posts: 177
    edited December 1969

Sorry I'm late, I was irresistibly drawn to this thread as I am a cinephile. My wife and I often go out to films. I cannot fathom being asked to move and saying yes. We choose our seats with care, usually four or five rows back... at the rail in a well designed stadium theater, dead center. That is the optimal viewing position and generally best aurally as well.

The idea is to have the screen fill your field of view so that your eyes have to follow the action on-screen, makes for a more immersive experience. Most people instinctively seek out some view akin to what they are used to watching at home. Frankly if I wanted to watch TV I'd have just stayed at home.

Now, if I've put this much thought into where I'm going to sit, imagine how resistant I am to shifting around an auditorium. I sympathize, but really "no" is easy to say if you realize that you came to a movie to be pleased, not to please others. Otherwise someone would be paying you!

• TorbyTorby Posts: 250
    edited December 1969

One thing I've learned: Wiggly kids should not wear blinky shoes in a theater :D

• edited December 1969

I like to sit in that row that has the railing just in front so I can put my feet on it. If the theater is full, I will move for people to sit together as long as it doesn't deprive me of the rail. If it does, I just tell them that I'm blind in my left eye (true) and that I have to sit where I'm sitting or it throws things off (not really true).
    But, boy, this reminded me of something that happened a few years ago. I was flying across the US and on the Huston-Seattle leg, I went to my seat - the window seat - and found this old biddy sitting in my seat. Now a bit of background - I was just coming out of a divorce having unencumbered myself from a woman who always insisted on the window because she claimed she got sick without it (which I think wasn't true, just one of her many manipulations) but being a good husband, I never made an issue even though I really love the window seat. I politely told the woman she was in my seat and first she pretended to not understand English, which I could tell she damn well could. They she tried playing the 'old lady' card, saying something about how she had a bad leg or something. Well, I'd booked that seat months before to make sure I had a window seat and I resented like mad her attempts to try and play on my emotions so I rather briskly told her she had to move - I'm a tall guy on top of everything else and the extra space in the window seat makes a big difference to my comfort. If she had a physical problem, she needed to take it up with the stewardess, not assume that I was just going to give up my seat without even being asked. I sat down, put on my headphones, pulled out a book and proceeded to ignore her for the duration of the flight and thoroughly enjoyed looking out the window.
    Yea, kind of a rant, but I've never told that story to anyone and it seems it was still rattling around in my brain!