How do I create one prop made of two parts?

I have a staff and the decorative end of the staff. I'd like to save it as a prop. However, when I save it as a prop it only saves the staff or the decorative end. I tried grouping them but that only saved the empty group.

I'm sure this is easy but dang if I can figure it...I don't even know what to search...

Thanks in advance for what seems to be a fairly remedial question...

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

You open Hexagon, merge both files into one, arrange the parts so they are in the correct places and then export it as a single object.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026

A prop can only be made from a single object. If you have separate objects but you want to save them together you have several options:

If you don't want to keep the ability to separate the pieces, load them together in DS, export as obj, then reimport that obj as a single prop.

If you want to keep 2 "pieces", you could either:

• save each piece as a prop, then load both props and then save a scene subset
    • save a scene asset with both items
  • Aabacus said:

I have a staff and the decorative end of the staff. I'd like to save it as a prop. However, when I save it as a prop it only saves the staff or the decorative end. I tried grouping them but that only saved the empty group.

I'm sure this is easy but dang if I can figure it...I don't even know what to search...

1. Rig it and save it as a figure.

or

2. Select all and send it over the bridge to Hexagon. Rename each part to be the very same. Select all and export them out [possibly at measurement m] ... clear scene and import back in that export [possibly at measurement cm] {should be landing in at the very same size it went out as} ... clear scene in D/S, from Hexagon send the unified prop back over the bridge to D/S. Polish and save as figure/prop file.

• AabacusAabacus Posts: 403
    Aabacus said:

1. Rig it and save it as a figure.

or

2. Select all and send it over the bridge to Hexagon. Rename each part to be the very same. Select all and export them out [possibly at measurement m] ... clear scene and import back in that export [possibly at measurement cm] {should be landing in at the very same size it went out as} ... clear scene in D/S, from Hexagon send the unified prop back over the bridge to D/S. Polish and save as figure/prop file.

Okay, well then...that's a lot of tomfoolery...wow. It makes sense but wow. LOL.

I think I'm going to take the advice above to just have two props. LOL. I'll save the link to this advice though in case I start doing a lot with props.