ShareCG how to install content

DopplerShiftDopplerShift Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

Does anyone know how to install content I download off ShareCG? I paged through the Wiki and searched the forums, but didn't find anything. The content downloaded as a .rar file.

Thanks!

Comments

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,509
    edited December 1969

(1) Unrar the file (.rar is just another compressed format like zip without the patents and a bit better in compression), then depending what you have there it is quite a different ballgame.

If it is a Runtime directory or a My Library, just move everything into your My Library (or create a new one* where you move all freebees to and add that to DS in the content directory manager).

If it is an .obj file you need to import it using .obj importer.

* The reason to have your freebees separated is that id you one day does something commercial it is good to know what items you might not be able to use due to limitations in licensing.

• DopplerShiftDopplerShift Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Cool thanks for the tips. I used UnRarX to decompress the files. I'm working on Mac OSX Mavericks, and in my Documents directory there is a Daz3d folder with My Library.

"/Users/Username/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library"

I made a child directory under "Studio" called "Free Library" and pointed Daz3d Studio to it under Content Directory Manager in Preferences and added the directory into the "DAZ Studio Formats" group. I closed and reopened Daz3d and the library was there :)

Now, in order to add to the library without overwriting my directories and files I think I need to find the terminal commands to move new content over.

edited December 1969

I used this terminal command to move the files:

ditto SOURCE DEST

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited February 2014

Always add your folders in DS as BOTH formats not just DAZ Studio Format. If the Free item is based on POSER file types it will not show up unless it is also listed as a Poser Format Path... like this...

Capture-001.png
    427 x 462 - 52K
    Post edited by Jaderail on
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

I occasionally find free content that is not packaged in a standard manner, so if it doesn't show up in DS, compare the folder structure to something you know works to see if it makes sense. You might have to move files around and create new folders to get it to work. (I have also found a few that I simply can't get to work at all, and also sometimes corrupt zip files that can't even be opened.)

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,509
    edited December 1969

You can use my free RendoInstall for OS X to install zips, works for "most setups", but have problems with those where the DS studd is located freely inside My Library, need to fix that someday.

4Eyes free software

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Always add your folders in DS as BOTH formats not just DAZ Studio Format. If the Free item is based on POSER file types it will not show up unless it is also listed as a Poser Format Path... like this...

Nice! I'll do that.

I occasionally find free content that is not packaged in a standard manner, so if it doesn't show up in DS, compare the folder structure to something you know works to see if it makes sense. You might have to move files around and create new folders to get it to work. (I have also found a few that I simply can't get to work at all, and also sometimes corrupt zip files that can't even be opened.)

OK thanks for the heads up

You can use my free RendoInstall for OS X to install zips, works for "most setups", but have problems with those where the DS studd is located freely inside My Library, need to fix that someday.
    4Eyes free software

I'll check that out :)

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

... about the corrupt zips, I highly recommend using a download helper in FF. Sadly more often than not, the 1st attempt to download is dropped [which would result in a corrupt zip] but their download helper restarts the download and let's one know if successful or not.