Installing to external drive instead of default 'My DAZ 3D Library' location

Hello everyone -

I’d like to explain something before I ask my question…

Almost 2 years ago, I had a massive heart attack. I spent a long time in the hospital, and wasn’t expected to live. But, as you can ‘see’, I proved the doctors wrong, to their delight. Sometimes when people have very bad heart attacks they suffer something called an ‘anoxic brain injury’…a fancy way of saying the brain went without oxygen for an extended period, sometimes causing massive brain damage. I did not, thankfully and for some unknown reason, suffer that fate. The only things I seem to notice from the event now are the following:

I have trouble sometimes following lists of things, or steps to do.
I can take a deep breath, and push through it, but sometimes it’s very hard.

I used to teach computer hardware and software, and made my living as an art director/creative director/painter/illustrator/3d viz artist, etc for about 30 years.

When I woke up in the hospital and then came home a month later, when I walked in my office and turned on the light, I couldn’t even remember how to turn my computer on (I have a trashcan mac pro), yeah, with no buttons…LOL

Finally a couple days later, I worked up the courage and went back in my office, and just stood there. Already a long story, I’ll make it short. I remembered finally where the power button was, how to turn on everything, etc…

Then the fun started. When I went to the hospital, my girlfriend came back home and realized all my equipment was still turned on. She’s not a computer person, so what I -think- she did was just unplug things to turn them off.

There was a lot, a - lot - of data that I lost, that I’ve been trying to recover. Most of what I lost was my daz Content directory. I’m still working on that now. It’s slow going, but I’m doing my best.

— so here’s my question, if you’ve been able to bear with me so far —

I had my main daz directory on an external drive, and I’ve been slowly migrating/restoring that directory onto another external drive. Daz has also installed items on my internal mac drive (which I definitely DON’T want, and would love to move to my external drive, so possibly some insight into doing that would be awesome…), but what I’ve been thinking of doing is getting another external hard drive, making another daz content directory on that drive, and as I purchase new items have daz install them to THAT new drive, keeping the ‘pre-heart attack’ drive separate from the new one…Is there anyone that can tell me how/what to do so that when I purchase an item on the daz store, that when it installs I can tell it to install to my new external drive, with the new daz Content directory on it, instead of my internal drive, which I don’t want filling up with Daz items?

So, so sorry for the long-winded post, but I thought I needed to explain things…

All the best and thank you in advance!

Dru

Comments

• How are you installing - using Daz Install Manager, or using the panes inside Daz Studio, or a mix?

• Hi Richard - thank you so much for responding!

Odd that you ask about DIM, since I've just sent about the 15th email to DAZ about it today...

I cannot install DIM in any way on my computer, I've downloaded the latest installer multiple times with no luck. I'm running mac os x catlina 10.15.2.

I've sent multiple requests for help, but I'm not sure what Daz is doing - the few responses I've received are almost incomprehensible.

Richard, I'm so beside myself right now, that if you will permit me, I'm going to paste in to this e-mail some of my correspondence with Daz. Perhaps you will be able to make sense of things...I know many others are using mac os and must be having similar issues. I've let Daz know I can't purchase anything until I get this resolved...

All my thanks to you for trying to help!

Best,

Dru

Screen Shot 2020-01-08 at 5.05.22 PM.png
    1088 x 578 - 219K
    Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 8.40.37 AM.png
    491 x 273 - 45K
    Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 7.56.46 PM.png
    916 x 767 - 330K
  • Let me flag this for our Mac expert, though I fear even he doesn't use Catalina.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,497

Hi,

first thing to do, to run something that Gatekeeper (the protection layer in OS X) dislikes, is to rightclick it in Finder and select "Open.." I think thats a good start and hopefully the rest will unfold...