DS4.0 render stuck at 99% for 7 hours

barbultbarbult Posts: 23,209
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

What causes a render to get stuck at 99% for hours? This is the first time that it never finished for me.

I was rendering a 1600 by 1600 image that got to 99% complete after about an hour. I was rendering to a window, and I could see that it had 2 black unrendered blocks to go. I let it continue for an hour and it was still at 99%. I went to bed and let it continue. When I got up, it was still stuck at 99%. I tried to cancel. It didn't cancel. I took a screen shot and then killed it with windows task manager. I reopened the scene to try again, but discovered that I hadn't saved it exactly as I had rendered it. (I had added at least one plant.)

I routinely render images this large or larger. I am using Windows 7 64 bit with 8GB of RAM. Task Manager showed that DAZStudio.exe was running and using 25% of the CPU (it runs at 100% when it is going full throttle. I assume the 25% is because it had only 2 unrendered blocks to go.) I was using one distant light with ray traced shadows, UE2 with AO soft shadows (no image map, just white), and a couple other shadowless fill distant lights. The background is an image pasted to a plane.

Any idea why it got stuck?

render.jpg
857 x 800 - 688K
items.jpg
523 x 790 - 168K
settings.jpg
299 x 800 - 133K

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited July 2012

Try rendering it to file instead of window. Render to window eats some of your Ram that could be used to render the image. I always render my final Images to file.

You might have got very close to usable ram and it was doing a Transmapped item when it hung. They always take RAM and time to do, if your ram got low it would take longer to calculate those sections.

Post edited by Jaderail on