Saving a Pose without Facial Expressions?

I'm working on a pose set that includes expressions, and I've figured out how to save only the expression by just selecting "head" items and "hidden properties" in the save pose preset panel, and I've figured out how to save an entire pose, expressions included.

But anytime I try to save the pose only, with no facial expressions, it still saves the expressions. (Even when I deselect "head" and "hidden properties").

Is there a way to save the pose so that it doesn't automatically override previous facial expressions?

Comments

• In the options menu try expanding the properties under the base figure node, Pose Cotrols, Head and uncheck Expressions.

• Is there any way to save presets for poses (with check/uncheck properties presets) ?

Like for this user I'm constantly annoyed by the need to uncheck only some properties, and for body poses there is always a hassle to have to uncheck every thing each time (especially when we forget to check/uncheck a property, all need to be redone...).

• It can be done via scripting http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/start#save_filters using the Save Filter Template scripts as starting points

• SBibbSBibb Posts: 596

In the options menu try expanding the properties under the base figure node, Pose Cotrols, Head and uncheck Expressions.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that (unless I missed something), but it's still saving the expression with the rest of the pose. I tested it in both Daz 4.11 and 4.12 Beta with the same result.

If it helps, I'm also not using premade expressions on this one, and I've been using the more basic slider options, so I had been completely deselecting "head" and "hidden properties" in the pose controls option panel for saving. in an attempt to remove the expression  I can save the customized expressions on their own without the body, but not vice versa.

• qertqert Posts: 89

I am having the same issue as OP as it keeps saving the whole body with the facial expression despite already unchecking expressions and head.

Any more tips for this issue?

• If the expression is being created by posing the rigged features in the head, then expand the 'pose save' tree as far as the level below the head (lower jaw, upper face rig etc should be visible). Then un-tick everything except the head-general & eyes. That way the rigged part of the expression shouldn't be saved. Try testing it out and see if there are any similar bits of the facial rig that shouldn't be saved.

Regards,

Richard

• Tammuz43Tammuz43 Posts: 19
    edited April 2022

It's an old bug of Daz Studio.

Expressions are saved with pose files even if you have unchecked them.

The only way I found is to save a file with only the expressions you want checked, then reapply it after the pose file.

Post edited by Tammuz43 on
  • Tammuz43 said:

The only way I found is to save a file with only the expressions you want checked, then reapply it after the pose file.

How are the expressions applied? See the previous comment about the different levels at which the controls may be found - unchecking expressions on the figure node won't help if the bones are posed directly, for example.

• And something like Powerpose poses the facial 'bones' directly, even if the result is similar to an expression dial. I have also noticed something like the 'Smile' expression pose also poses the left and right lip corner bones, which also (as I suggested above) need to be unticked to retain the previous expression when applying the new pose.

Regards,

Richard

• Tammuz43Tammuz43 Posts: 19

Richard Haseltine said:

Tammuz43 said:

How are the expressions applied? See the previous comment about the different levels at which the controls may be found - unchecking expressions on the figure node won't help if the bones are posed directly, for example.

To apply an expression, you give a value to the corresponding slider. So, it would be logical that this value is not registered in the pose file if you have unchecked it.

This is not the case.

For example : I saved a pose file with "Brow Up" at 100% and all the expressions unchecked. This setting shouldn't have been registered in the file.

But if I open it, it contains these lines :

"url" : "name://@selection#facs_ctrl_BrowUp:?value/value",

"keys" : [ [ 0, 1 ] ]

• GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,461

I've always had to manually remove the expression lines from the duf file itself using norepad to avoid the expression saving with the pose NO MATTER WHAT I uncheck. This seems like a rather critical bug for content creators but release after release it's not adressed so I've just learned to deal with it.

• SquishySquishy Posts: 450
    edited April 2022

I uncheck everything and then do Check Only -> Rotations, and then uncheck the figure root General properties and the Head block. Kind of a lot of precise clicks if you're saving a lot of poses though.

Post edited by Squishy on

it sure would be nice if you could set that as the default action

• cgidesigncgidesign Posts: 432
    edited April 2022

For me it works (in 4.16 and 4.20) if Head is unchecked in Pose Controls and the Body. This way it stores the body pose without the head / face pose.

Headpose.png
    1020 x 535 - 149K
    Post edited by cgidesign on
    edited April 2022

the thing is all those green checks will also capture stuff like translations, scale changes and property dial values, which you may not want (probably don't want).

e: I mean I get your point that most of those dials are gonna only be on head or the body level, but on some figures they aren't (e.g. I can remember some that had pose dials on the chest or hands). safer imo to just be sure you only get rotations.

Post edited by Squishy on
  • cgidesigncgidesign Posts: 432

Yep, I disable / enable what I need on a case to case basis.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,949

SBibb said:

I'm working on a pose set that includes expressions, and I've figured out how to save only the expression by just selecting "head" items and "hidden properties" in the save pose preset panel, and I've figured out how to save an entire pose, expressions included.

But anytime I try to save the pose only, with no facial expressions, it still saves the expressions. (Even when I deselect "head" and "hidden properties").

Is there a way to save the pose so that it doesn't automatically override previous facial expressions?

Have you tried checking save rotations only ,then expand all checked ,and deselect everything under head?