tif file doesn't open in NX2 ?

AristocAristoc Posts: 254
edited December 1969 in New Users

When I save a render in the latest DS4.6 version, I can not open that tif file in NX2. I get an error message that says I can not open the file.

To work around this I open my tif in PS CS5 and then save again a new tif . Then finallyh I can open this tif in NX2.

anyone else?

Thanks

Comments

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited February 2014

I've never heard of NX2, so I'm not sure what you are trying to do with the TIF file. That said, can this NX2 software open other formats such as PNG or JPG? If it can, then you can set up DS to save your renders in either PNG or JPG format instead of TIF. I usually use PNG if I just want a character in the scene so I can preserve the alpha channel and there will be no background when I open it in Photoshop. If it's a full scene, then I usually render to JPG, as no alpha channel is needed.

Post edited by Miss B on
  • TjebTjeb Posts: 507
    edited December 1969

NX2.... is that the software that comes with a Nikon DSLR camera?
    That is for importing the images taken with the camera.

.bmp and .png are more versatile to safe your render in.
    Try Gimp (free)

• AristocAristoc Posts: 254
    edited February 2014

Yes the software is called Capture NX2 and it is like Photoshop. Produced by Nik Color Efex. Used to be owned by Nikon. NX2 for short allows you to edit .tif files jpg etc. But I dont think it handles png. png is better handled by Photo shop.

The reason I wanted to edit the tif is that I have NX2 and a lot of plug ins for it that i have used for photography. I can do more editing with the tif than you can with a jpeg. Since jpegs lose image quality . tifs usually don't when saved and saved and saved again after making edits in the NX2 program. I have started adding light effects and blurs much faster , among other tricks , than using the camera for DS and trying to get the depth of field correct.

if you keep saving a jpeg over and over again, you lose image quality.

Post edited by Aristoc on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,011
    edited December 1969

Tiff files can be problematic between applications. Photoshop can usually open them but other applications may have trouble reading some of the files produced by other applications - I used to have the occasional issue sending files from a "lite" version of Corel PhotoPaint to Painter, even though It had at that point become a Corel application itself as far as I recall.

• TjebTjeb Posts: 507
    edited December 1969

I had a Nikon camera couple of years ago, so it sounded familiar.
    I used the program once and then never again. It's not a top level program.
    And the RAW files from my camera were directly imported in easyHDR Pro to combine them into one HDR image.

When working with Photoshop I always save in bmp or when there are layers I save in Photoshop's native format
    and only when I think the image is finished I save in jpeg.
    I try to avoid TIF and TGA as much as possible.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Remove the alpha channel from the TIFF and NX2 may stop having a hissy fit.
    http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=133&topic_id=3996&mode=full#3997

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,858
    edited December 1969

it actually never occurred to me to look if any software came with my Nikon camera
    got some discs....

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The issue with TIFF is there really is not ONE accepted industry standard. So you run into some software using one version of the code and the next company prefers a different version. It is the only image format that does not have an accepted single standard at this time.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    The issue with TIFF is there really is not ONE accepted industry standard.

And many of these standards are old — TIFF in its various incarnations has been around since almost prehistoric times, in terms of modern computer technology. I think .bmp is the only older image format commonly seen used in home computers (and .bmp has its own problems: I never use it for anything). I've heard it described as a "swiss army knife" format, anyone writing a program to handle .tiff files can select from a variety of features and plug them all in to a .tiff wrapper. You can see this if you dig into the file save options in PhotoShop, a .tiff save has nearly as many options and tweaks as the rest of the file formats put together. Been a while since I last looked at the Photoshop manual, I can't remember if it warns that some of those options might cause compatibility problems in other graphics programs.
  • AristocAristoc Posts: 254
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    Remove the alpha channel from the TIFF and NX2 may stop having a hissy fit.
    http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=133&topic_id=3996&mode=full#3997

yes that did the trick. TY.