Help loading V4 Mannequin - complete noob alert!

vfxpicnicvfxpicnic Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hello,

Please excuse the simplicity of my problem! I'm new to Daz3D but not to 3D software. I'm really struggling to get set up with V4 Mannequin, but I'm ready to learn! I want to be able to load and pose this figure like I can with the other figures I have, but this one seems to work in a completely different way.

Perhaps one of you kind folk would care to give me a really basic, step by step guide to working with this figure? Starting from: "Open Daz3D..."

p.s. I have already tried something I read on anther post, talking about injection morphs (whatever they are) but when I change the parameter to remove the arm, I'm left with a weird spike randomly sticking out of the shoulder. It looks nothing like the images on the store page..

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

You should have some caps to add to the arm to fill in the hole left by removing the arm. In poser they are under props, I guess they will probably be the same in DS

• vfxpicnicvfxpicnic Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks chohole! I found the caps you mentioned. However, there is a major problem.

Here's what I did:

- Open Daz
    - Load Victoria 4.2 from the Content Library
    - In the popup, I check Base Morphs and Legacy Injection Slots (not that I know what they are)
    - In the Content Library, I go to Poser Formats > Daz 3D > Pose > V4 Mannequin and double click "Mannequin INJ"
    - Then in Parameters, I set NoHead to 1, and NoLeftArm to 1.
    - To get the caps, I go up a level and browse to Props > V4 Mannequin and double click the HeadLock and Left ArmLock.
    - Perfect!

Except... As soon as I load a Pose for V4, everything goes horrible! See attached screenshot.

Any ideas? Have I missed something?

Many thanks

Screen_Shot_2014-02-19.jpg
    753 x 628 - 62K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I can't remember now, is some time since I used this. I have a feeling I either didn't use a pose, or I applied the pose first, before taking the arms off. I can't check as I have a render cooking in Bryce, one with water and transparencies on tree leaves, so it is not one I care to try working over.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,397
    edited December 1969

I think you are meant to hide the bones you don't want (by clicking the eye next to them in the Scene pane, or by selecting them all and using the Visible button in the Parameters pane) - either that or they should be locked so that they can't be moved, and so exposed to view, by posing.

edited December 1969

Thanks for your help! I tried applying the pose first and then taking the arms off, but unfortunately the problem persisted. Hiding the bones certainly helped, but the shoulder stump does not have the 'clean cut' appearance that it should have, presumably because it is posed.. It looks like it's been smudged, rather than cut cleanly.

I hope I am not about to find out that you can't really pose this figure.. There must be people out there who've tried this?

Many thanks

• Cayman StudiosCayman Studios Posts: 1,134
    edited December 1969

I have just given this a go, and the solution is to first apply the NoHead and/or NoLeftArm morph and then select and lock all the children nodes before setting the pose.

So in the Scene tab select the neck, then right-click to bring up the Select options in the context menu, and select Select > Select Children. (For the arms select the children from the collar.) While the children nodes are all selected go to the Parameters tab, click on the Options menu and select Lock > Lock Selected Node(s). You should now be able to pose with impunity.

edited December 1969

Yes! Thank you so much. That completely solved the issue. Thanks for all your help guys :)