Need help with reflections in mirror SOLVED

TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
edited February 2014 in New Users

Heres what I have got as far as lights the only thing I am trying to get is a reflection of the candles in the mirror ....Is there some kind of a standard setting for reflections??? I have tried a bunch and can not quite get it ....any help is appreciated.....Trish

mirror2.jpg
543 x 637 - 133K
mirror1.jpg
803 x 828 - 485K
Post edited by Trish on

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Can you post a screenshot of the surface settings for the mirror?

And what do you have 'over your shoulder'...you as the cameraman, with the camera on your shoulder...what is behind you? Anything? Nothing?

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

I have nothing but a black background behind me ...I just wanted to see the candles and the light from them ....here are the settings....I put the settings back the way they were to start with....sorry it took so long to get back to answer your questions......Trish

mirror4.jpg
    366 x 460 - 70K
    mirror3.jpg
    502 x 985 - 195K
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited February 2014

I have nothing but a black background behind me

That might be at least half of the problem, mirrors really work best with a full surrounding scene — even if it's only a plane with a texture applied.

The other half... I don't use mirrors much, but I think I remember you need to turn Diffuse completely off — take the Strength down to 0%.

Post edited by SpottedKitty on
  • Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited February 2014

Your settings are working, but as SpottedKitty mentioned, you need a scene for things to actually reflect.

Take this for example, similar settings (my diffuse color is black, using white is better for a washed out/dirty mirror), but there's a full scene to reflect (I threw in a plane to act as a back wall).

/edit
    Added a render with the surrounding walls and ceiling hidden for comparison.

mirror_nowalls.jpg
    800 x 500 - 152K
    mirror.jpg
    800 x 500 - 234K
    Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Diffuse can be turned to 0% as a 'conservation of energy' measure...it may get rid of some of the 'fuzziness' in the reflection.

Another good way to create an environment is use a 'skydome'/world ball.

edited December 1969

ok Thank you for the suggestions I will play around a little more.....Trish

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited February 2014

Okay if all your after is the Candles in the reflection you will need to LIGHT them on the side facing the mirror better. Try a well placed spot light above the mirror and aimed to light up just what you need to show in the mirror better. That will be very fiddly but do able.

Or you could go with a fill light that was ambient only.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Okay if all your after is the Candles in the reflection you will need to LIGHT them on the side facing the mirror better. Try a well placed spot light above the mirror and aimed to light up just what you need to show in the mirror better. That will be very fiddly but do able.

I think you hit the nail on the head Jade. I don't use mirrors often either, but when I do, I use a spotlight that I would normally use as a back/rim light on a character to highlight her back so it shows up well in the mirror which is behind her. See attached render below.

In your case Trish, you want the light shining on the back of the candles.

Be sure to click to see full size.

goldenhearts.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 381K
    edited December 1969

Thank you very much Miss B and Jaderail

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Glad to have been of help. :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

In case anyone checks back I got what I was looking for....like the room was lit only by the candles....I changed the mirror to a metal shader....I appreciate everyones help on this project....Trish

what.jpg
    1172 x 1039 - 336K