Daz Data base copying

BlackSkyBlackSky Posts: 0
edited February 2014 in New Users

OK,
So I nuked Daz off both my Mac Pro and my Macbook Pro a couple days ago and did a fresh reinstall. I Deleted all the info out of ~/Library/Application support/Daz 3D, which is where the corruption started that was causing me so many headaches.

What I had tried to do was copy a daz library folder from my laptop to my desktop and used "ditto gui" to merge the contents. I was try to have exact mirror images of the data on both computers so I could move freely from one to the other when I wanted to work on projects away from my apartment. I get sick of being stuck inside the same place day after day.

So what I want to know is this:
1) If I've started to categorize content on my laptop, can I copy those categories to my desktop and have that work, and not screw things up so bad that I have to nuke Daz again? Or am I stuck with having to do the same work 2x on each computer?

2)If I CAN copy the afore-mentioned categories from one computer to the other, where is that dat kept, what is it called, and is there other additional data that need to be copied as well to avoid another total catastrophe in Daz?

3)If I can copy the data, do I have to have every single bit of content installed ahead of time on the computer being copied to, to avoid a corruption in the database. It's not that I want to do this, but I have a bunch of content and if I forget something it would be good to know that I can install it later if it comes up missing, instead of wrecking everything so I have to start over.

Your feedback is appreciated, and big thanks to those who relied in my other thread, if you are reading this I give you total props! :-)

Post edited by BlackSky on

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Have the basic program and necessary whatever installed on both computers.
    Put the content stuff on a portable harddrive.
    When the portable harddrive is plugged in, note the drive # and direct D/S on said computer to check for files there too.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

To back up your custom categories, use Content DB Maintenance > Export User Data. This creates a file named UserData_1.dsx (and _2, etc., if you have a large amount of data) in the Runtime\Support folder. On the other machine use Content DB Maintenance > Re-Import Metadata to restore the categories.

edited December 1969

And as for your 3rd question, if the content isn't there when Re-Importing metadata it will just skip it, no corruption.

• BlackSkyBlackSky Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the replies.
    I will try it out as soon as I'm done categorizing and let you know.
    By the way, I should've stated this earlier, but I use mac computers. Will that make a difference in how things behave?

edited December 1969

It should be the same on a Mac. The userdata files are plain text.

I've heard that "marking all content as seen" frequently reduces database corruption on Macs -- the Mac version of Valentina sometimes runs into race conditions when you enter a category that has content marked as new, because it tries to mark those items as not-new when you enter the category.