Categorising content

SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
edited December 1969 in New Users

When I get new content I tend to categorise and tag it so I can find it later.

I am having a problem though (particuarly with poses). I select the pose (or group of poses) and right click to "categorise" then I check the boxes to the "pose" level and hit "accept" You would think that would mean that when I then go into my content library and select the category "poses" that my files would appear? No. Well some of them do, but not all. Some are nested in lower subcategories of "poses" (even though I didn't put them there) and others just ain't there at all!

What is going on and how can I fix it?

Comments

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,996
    edited December 1969

There's two option for catergorizing. One is simple "Categorize", the other is "Categorize with subdirectories". If you have subdirectories, you need to use the secod setting.

• SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
    edited December 1969

lee_lhs said:
    There's two option for catergorizing. One is simple "Categorize", the other is "Categorize with subdirectories". If you have subdirectories, you need to use the secod setting.

When I right click, all I see is "Categorise..." There is no "categorise with subdirectories" option

But that's not really my point. What i am finding is that stuff I categorise only down to the level of "Poses" either doesn't appear at all when I then choose the "Poses" category, or it appears under a subdirectory of "Poses" (which I didn't put it in!)

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Sertorial said:
    lee_lhs said:

When I right click, all I see is "Categorise..." There is no "categorise with subdirectories" option

But that's not really my point. What i am finding is that stuff I categorise only down to the level of "Poses" either doesn't appear at all when I then choose the "Poses" category, or it appears under a subdirectory of "Poses" (which I didn't put it in!)If you're talking about Smart Content in Daz Studio, then check out my signature. There's a link to a tutorial on how to create your own smart content entries and edit existing ones so you can create your own Smart Content categories and folders.

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

Sertorial said:
    lee_lhs said:

But that's not really my point. What i am finding is that stuff I categorise only down to the level of "Poses" either doesn't appear at all when I then choose the "Poses" category, or it appears under a subdirectory of "Poses" (which I didn't put it in!)

When you install a product with meta data, the items will usually already be in categories under Categories -> Default. Categories control how smart content is organized in the Smart Content pane. So DAZ already put those items into sub directories under pose when it installed the item.

I gave up fighting with DAZ over how Categories -> Default is organized. DAZ sends out updates that re-organize these Categories. I created my own top level category Categories -> Mine and I have everything organized the way I want it there. DAZ leaves these categories alone. The only problem is that DAZ sometimes sends out updates that move the actual content. When the actual content moves, then I lose my Categories -> Mine references and have to redo them. The Mine Category will also appear in the Smart Content pane, so I can use it there as well, although I rarely use smart content.

edited December 1969

@HeraldOfOfire interesting about creating your own smart content (though it looks pretty laborious). I wasn't actually referring to smart content though. Just regular content that doesn't seem to be picking up its category label in the content library.

@Mark128 What do you mean about DAZ sending out updates? Does it mess with my content library without me knowing?!

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

What do you mean about DAZ sending out updates? Does it mess with my content library without me knowing?!

DIM offers updates to products in the same way that it 'offers' your content that you have purchased. You do not need to install either if you would prefer not to, but I always do. It is a painless way to update content which has been fixed or modified.

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

What do you mean about DAZ sending out updates? Does it mess with my content library without me knowing?!

DIM offers updates to products in the same way that it 'offers' your content that you have purchased. You do not need to install either if you would prefer not to, but I always do. It is a painless way to update content which has been fixed or modified.

If you have created your own categories to organize things, it is not always completely painless. Sometimes the updates move items around that cause things to disappear from my categories. I am very careful about applying the updates from DIM. Checking where the items are in my categories before I update, then making sure they are still there after I update.

edited December 1969

I have never used DIM. Sounds too 'big brother' to me. I like to install stuff myself, then I know where it ends up!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

The DIM can be set to download, but not install.