Render Help: Too Dark

AnomoleyAnomoley Posts: 0
edited February 2014 in New Users

Hi guys, working on a new issue I've been trying to tackle for several hours now -- created an image the look/color of which I love in viewer window of DAZ… but once rendered, it's a completely different color/contrast that just doesn't work for me.

-- Tried playing with light settings; any setting I turn on seems to result in completely blacked out renders.
-- No lighting at all does render my image, but it renders it MUCH darker than I need it, messing up Gia's face to boot -- regardless of how light I try to make the skin of my actors, this seems to make only the slightest difference.

I've attached a screenshot of what I'd like to render, and the actual render I'm getting when I'm seeing this on my DAZ desktop.

What am I doing wrong and how do I fix this? Super frustrated, any thoughts or ideas would be SO much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

lighttest.jpg
517 x 721 - 114K
Screen_Shot_2014-02-15_at_5.26_.36_PM_.png
640 x 689 - 245K
Post edited by Anomoley on

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Your OpenGL Viewport will NEVER match the 3Delight render. You will have to learn lighting in DAZ Studio. The Fast render with no light is using what is called a Headlamp (light) that is built into the Camera when no other lights are added to a scene.

Just so you know Lighting in 3D renders is one of the hardest things to learn. But there is lots of info posted in the forums on lighting. There is no fast way to get things perfect.

• AnomoleyAnomoley Posts: 0
    edited February 2014

Thanks Jaderail, helpful reply -- I thought there was some render setting I could toggle to get this right, but now that I know this isn't the case, I'll continue playing with my lighting.

I actually did get it pretty close to where I want it (color-wise, at least)… but now there's a new problem I can't seem to work out. No matter how high the resolution I set, the image just looks unacceptably blurry once rendered.

Is this a lighting issue once again? Or am I missing something else?

I'll attach the rendered image and a screen shot of my rendering settings, in case something is off. Would very much appreciate some feedback on this, as well.

Thanks again!

Screen_Shot_2014-02-15_at_8.16_.07_PM_.png
    517 x 725 - 158K
    Screen_Shot_2014-02-15_at_8.34_.29_PM_.png
    652 x 719 - 495K
    Post edited by Anomoley on
    edited December 1969

That is mostly just your size info... this is the Power of the render settings.. See below. But It looks more like a camera issue to me than settings. Did you use a Real camera or just one of the views?

Capture-002.png
    487 x 489 - 22K
    edited December 1969

I did initially use views to render, but switching to camera view has done nothing to improve it, unfortunately.

And here's a screenshot of the right portion of the settings (hopefully).

Thank you so much.

Screen_Shot_2014-02-15_at_8.55_.39_PM_.png
    473 x 708 - 70K
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

If you're using a camera, check your Depth of Field (DoF) settings in the parameters tab. At first glance it looks like you're focusing on objects too far away from the camera, which will result in a blurred version of the original. Daz Studio handily provides a visual representation of what your camera will be able to focus on indicated by two squares in the camera's cone of view. If your figures are inside this area they will be in full focus.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,328
    edited December 1969

If the Camera info isn't helping try adjusting your render settings Shading Rate of 1 isn't really any good for decent renders.
    My render settings.

render_settings.PNG
    421 x 496 - 43K
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Anomoley said:
    And here's a screenshot of the right portion of the settings (hopefully).

The default Shading Rate value of 1.0 is really only good for preview or test renders, turn this down to 0.1 or 0.2 (note this will slow down the render speed).

Something else you might try — switch on Gamma Correction and turn the Gamma value up to 2.2 (if you don't like the result just turn the Gamma off again).

edited December 1969

I'm with the others I never render with a Shading Rate above .5

edited December 1969

You all are fantastic -- with your help, I was able to get that scene exactly where I wanted it!! I'd post it, but my models aren't clothed in the final version (this is for a clothing website which will "dress" them in their own clothes).

I now encountered a new problem, with the newest image I'm working on creating -- a bummer since I was just starting to get excited at the prospect of having gotten it all figured out… lol!

I've got the exact same settings on this image as I did on the last one which worked perfectly (lights, camera, render settings included). Yet, for some reason, it just comes out completely washed out every single time (attached).

I've rendered it a total of about 9 times overnight, varying position of the model, position of the lights, and toggling the gamma adjustment -- all to no avail; every single render has looked exactly the same.

Any thoughts?

Can not thank you guys enough; you all are heaven sent and beyond helpful through this learning process!!!

model.jpg
    494 x 700 - 96K
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

My initial guess is that the texture for the model has a very light/white Ambient color and Ambient strength of 100%...

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited February 2014

Anomoley said:
    You all are fantastic -- with your help, I was able to get that scene exactly where I wanted it!! I'd post it, but my models aren't clothed in the final version (this is for a clothing website which will "dress" them in their own clothes).

I now encountered a new problem, with the newest image I'm working on creating -- a bummer since I was just starting to get excited at the prospect of having gotten it all figured out… lol!

I've got the exact same settings on this image as I did on the last one which worked perfectly (lights, camera, render settings included). Yet, for some reason, it just comes out completely washed out every single time (attached).

I've rendered it a total of about 9 times overnight, varying position of the model, position of the lights, and toggling the gamma adjustment -- all to no avail; every single render has looked exactly the same.

Any thoughts?

Can not thank you guys enough; you all are heaven sent and beyond helpful through this learning process!!!

This looks like what happens when there is an error in the compiled shader.

When you do a render DAZ Studio converts the descriptions of surfaces and lights to formats used by 3Delght. These are stored in a temporary directory. DS tries to not regenerate something that is already in the temporary directory. DAZ Studio deletes the files in the temporary directory when you close the window.

If you run more than one DAZ Studio window the files in the temporary directory can get corrupted because both windows are using the same temporary directory. That can cause render results like this.

I have also noticed that when I close a DAZ window on a very large scene (10-14 characters) it can take several minutes after the window goes away before the DAZ process actually terminates. Opening another window while the first process is still trying to terminate seems to cause this.

To fix this, exit all your DAZ windows. Make sure the DAZ processes have terminated. Use the task manager to make sure they have all terminated. Then open the DAZ window again, load the scene and try to render again. If this does not fix the problem, check your log file for errors during rendering and post any error messages your find.

Post edited by mark128 on
    edited December 1969

mark128 said:
    Anomoley said:

Any thoughts?

This looks like what happens when there is an error in the compiled shader.

When you do a render DAZ Studio converts the descriptions of surfaces and lights to formats used by 3Delght. These are stored in a temporary directory. DS tries to not regenerate something that is already in the temporary directory. DAZ Studio deletes the files in the temporary directory when you close the window.

If you run more than one DAZ Studio window the files in the temporary directory can get corrupted because both windows are using the same temporary directory. That can cause render results like this.

I have also noticed that when I close a DAZ window on a very large scene (10-14 characters) it can take several minutes after the window goes away before the DAZ process actually terminates. Opening another window while the first process is still trying to terminate seems to cause this.

To fix this, exit all your DAZ windows. Make sure the DAZ processes have terminated. Use the task manager to make sure they have all terminated. Then open the DAZ window again, load the scene and try to render again. If this does not fix the problem, check your log file for errors during rendering and post any error messages your find.

Did as you suggested; made sure all windows were closed, exited the program… restarted my computer to be on the safe side. Started it back up, loaded the same settings that had previously worked perfectly, and rendered it to show this once again. :(

I did run the log file and there are a total of 14 errors on there. Several stating this:

Error writing author data!

The rest of the 14 stating this:

tdlmake: error while making texture file

Not sure what to make out of either of those errors, but I'm assuming the second one would explain the problems showing texture. Any thoughts or fixes?

Thank you for taking the time! :)

Screen_Shot_2014-02-17_at_2.44_.02_PM_.png
    280 x 364 - 25K
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

What format is the texture file in to begin with?