How can I apply materials when they are not DUF files?

SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
edited December 1969 in New Users

I have a piece of poser content (a .CR2 file) but when I go to the corresponding materials folder I can't load the materials because they are in .MTL format, not .DUF format.

How can I load the materials ?

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Was it a Poser only Product in the sense that it has procedural surfaces or has it got texture maps? If it comes with texture maps then they should reside in the runtime > Textures > ?? and then you can load them manually inside Daz Studio one at a time. Obviously you will need to set up the other surface settings manually too.

• SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
    edited February 2014

Not sure what procedural surfaces are. But I have managed to locate a folder under Runtim > Textures with the .JPGs in, but it only seems to have set of maps (which have already loaded with the figure). Would the various colours be set by the .MTL file then? (rather than determined by a diffuse map)

Post edited by Sertorial on
    edited December 1969

Do you know what the Shader Mixer is in Daz Studio....they are procedural shaders meaning math based and not texture based surfaces.

Yes it sounds like the surfaces were a mix of texture map and procedural.

MTL files are usually associated with OBJ formatted meshes. Poser I think uses MC6, MCZ and PP2, Daz Studio can use PP" and MC6 up to a point.

edited December 1969

umm.. no. Never heard of a shader mixer. I use Lux though, so I only use Reality shaders

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

If the texture maps loaded with the figure then the materials are loaded...anything else is going to need to be tweaked in DS and then saved out as a preset.

edited December 1969

Sertorial said:
    umm.. no. Never heard of a shader mixer. I use Lux though, so I only use Reality shaders
    I honestly thought you knew more about Daz Studio sorry my bad. Anyway as mjc said if the maps are loading then yes manual adjustment will be required.
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited February 2014

Are you sure it is MTL format and not MT5, which is the material format for older versions of Poser. Now superceded by MC6. the other poser material format is PZ2, not PP2, they are mat poses which are applied from the pose library.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Are you sure it is MTL format and not MT5, which is the material format for older versions of Poser. Now superceded by MC6. the other poser material format is PZ2, not PP2, they are mat poses which are applied from the pose library.

Actually, you know what? They are .MT5 files. Sorry.

Is there any way to convert these to .DUFs? Otherwise I have to open the .MT5 file with a text editor and laboriously apply all the materials settings one by one to my figure...

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Here is a tutorial for converting an mt5 into a pz2...

http://www.poserpedia.com/index.php?title=Converting_mc6_mt5_files_to_pz2_Tutorial

DS should read/load the pz2 files.

But, you will still need to tweak them, after they are loaded in DS.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Here is a tutorial for converting an mt5 into a pz2...

http://www.poserpedia.com/index.php?title=Converting_mc6_mt5_files_to_pz2_Tutorial

DS should read/load the pz2 files.

But, you will still need to tweak them, after they are loaded in DS.

Brilliant! Thanks SO much. You're a star!