a tale of woe and hope

shlomi laszloshlomi laszlo Posts: 250
edited December 2019 in Carrara Discussion

my computer was:

i7 4790k, 16gb ram, 970 graphics card, ssd, hd.

then it went poof!.

had to install a new windows 7 on the ssd.

can't reach the hd, no back up.

so a lot of data gone: like my newer carrara scenes and all the photos from the trip from a few years ago and a lot of stuff i don't remember having.

i did exprot my bookmarks from chrome so my online life were good.

so i have to install everything again, hate to do it twice.

so it's high time to get a new computer.

a 3900x but with motherboard with the older 470 chipset.

32 gb ram, 2070 super graphics card, and bigger ssd & hd.

time to download everything from daz again.

Post edited by shlomi laszlo on

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Oh no, I'm so sorry that you have to go through this.  Always a nightmare.

If it is not too early to say, at least you will end up playing with better equipment.  

Hope it gets resolved quickly for you.

• Hi Sholmi,

Sorry to hear of this.

You had posted in the Challenge thread, but didn't include a pic.  I guess that is when the poof happened.

Painful, it happened to me a few years ago.

The new gear will be much better.  Any reason you chose an x470, rather than an x570?

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106

I don't know about these things myself, but some computer repair places (if you have one around somewhere) can actually recover lost data from bad hdd. I've never done it or had it done, but maybe there's hope?

From your message it sounds like you've got the new computer on the way? If so, I'm grateful for you for that. I just got back on my feet again myself. Horrible to not have the ability to compute in Carrara! 

Sending best wishes your way, my friend!

• Hi Sholmi,

Sorry to hear of this.

You had posted in the Challenge thread, but didn't include a pic.  I guess that is when the poof happened.

The new gear will be much better.  Any reason you chose an x470, rather than an x570?

no it was before.

one of the few things i put on the old computer with the new windows and only a tiny ssd was carrara w/o native content.

so i could limp along, until i get the new one, with chrome carrara gimp and a game in steam.

that challenge work was done on that.

i got the 470 as that was what they had at the store, didn't want to wait to much.

just got the new one 2 days ago. downloading hundreds of gigabytes from daz now.

carrara seem faster but it won't show on task maneger to use 100% cpu.

• hope you find a way to recover your pictures off the old drive heart

edited December 2019

Hi Sholmi,

Sorry to hear of this.

no it was before.

one of the few things i put on the old computer with the new windows and only a tiny ssd was carrara w/o native content.

so i could limp along, until i get the new one, with chrome carrara gimp and a game in steam.

that challenge work was done on that.

i got the 470 as that was what they had at the store, didn't want to wait to much.

just got the new one 2 days ago. downloading hundreds of gigabytes from daz now.

carrara seem faster but it won't show on task maneger to use 100% cpu.

That's Windows 10's Power management. If you go into Control Panel settings and find your way to Power management, you can set it to High or Ultra power schemes to run your cpu wide open. I set my to Ultra for a while, but went back to the (on mine) AMD recommended setting and I'm still blazing my renders out even though my cores aren't peeking out. However, once in a while it doesn't. So I just stop the render and start it again and it's blazing again. Maybe after a while I'll go back to either High or Ultra.

I hope this helps!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited December 2019

Hi Sholmi,  Just before my eye surgery I got a hard disk error message and shut it down and took it into the shop. I didn't know which drive it was, but it was the E not C and it had Carrara on it.  Like you, my saved to browser scenes were on there, but I did have backups of most of them on an exsternal drive.  I think I am having this machine upgraded to W10 as well as I have my Adobe Creative Suite 3 on a laptop that is W7 and will retire it from the internet and get my husband a new basic laptop in the post xmas sales.

So, I am getting a new E drive and will have to redownload all mjy Carrara and related DS content (hope it goes better this time as I will put it in the same named drive vs previously when I got this machine). Also have to redownload lots of other programmes, too.  But in the future... I am going to make a directory on my external drive and park them there. I think I can make a User Scene tab in Carrara that points to that drive?   Lots of work ahead so I really sympathise with you.

My eyes will be dodgy for another month at least, but I think my vision will then adjust so I can get back to work on Carrara!  Typed this in large font, then reduced it.... takes ages, so not much posting from me, but I am reading the forum!

frown  Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • So happy you finally got the surgery, Silene!  Hope for fast recovery, and better vision.heart

edited December 2019

So happy you finally got the surgery, Silene!  Hope for fast recovery, and better vision.heart

Yeah... I second that! heart

edited December 2019

So you guys keep all of your content on drives other than C, eh? Works good? I should have done that. Oh well... you all know how much I love using DIM. I'll take two days off sometime soon and move all of my content off of C. I just don't see why I put it there to begin with.

• Shlomi, if your hard drive did not have a head crash and it was the on hard drive controler board that broke you can just replace the board and you can access you personal files and back them up.  If it was a head crash, you have to get a similar hard drive and make a small version of a clean room in clear plastic and replace the read write wands and see if you can recover your files. I never worry about programs just photos and personal data are impossible to replace. Good Luck.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited December 2019

So you guys keep all of your content on drives other than C, eh? Works good? I should have done that. Oh well... you all know how much I love using DIM. I'll take two days off sometime soon and move all of my content off of C. I just don't see why I put it there to begin with.

Dart...my cpu has a C and E. The build came with a puny C drive capacity so it is simpler to just use DIM to send content to E. DIM itself is On C...but all content goes to E. I hope this will be the case in future with some new tweaks.

Two days??? It will take me a week to do mine!!!

cool Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • shlomi laszloshlomi laszlo Posts: 250
    edited December 2019

truns out my chipset is b450

the build is:

amd ryzen 9 3900x

gigabyte b450 aorus pro am4

kingston hyperx fury black 2*16gb ddr4 3466 mhz cl16

gigabyte rtx 2070 super windforce oc 8gb gddr6

corsair hydro h100x high performance liquid cpu cooler

seagate barracuda 8tb 256mb sata III